RCCL vs. Celebrity

I am considering a 4 night cruise on February 14, 2008. Itinerary is exactly the same: Key West, Cozumel, day at sea.

My two ship options are RC Granduer out of Tampa

X Century out of Miami

Price for same room type is a little lower on Celebrity.

Any pros or cons that would help me decide?

I am posting this on the Celebrity board as well.

Thanks !

:)

I am considering a 4 night cruise on February 14, 2008. Itinerary is exactly the same: Key West, Cozumel, day at sea.

My two ship options are RC Granduer out of Tampa

X Century out of Miami

Price for same room type is a little lower on Celebrity.

Any pros or cons that would help me decide?

I am posting this on the Celebrity board as well.

Thanks !

Petel Asked - Wolf Answers: X Vs Rccl

The link above was a 45 post thread about the lines.

Granduer is a great ship and Tampa is an easy port to get in and out of in your car. Haven't sailed on X. I don't think you can make a bad choice on this one. Enjoy! :)

The are both about the same size. Guess it really depends on where you are coming from and is it easier to get to Miami vs Tampa? The other things to consider is the cruise credit. You have 2 RCCI trips already, so if you do the Grandeur you will be at 3. If you do Celebrity, you will then have 1 credit on Celebrity, but it does not add one to RCCI even though they are owned by the same company. So if you are trying to get to the next level on Royal (which is Platinum at 5), then I would go on Royal.

I started laughing when I saw Petel Asked - Wolf Answered. As the Wolfie in question, I back up my prior statements so I won't bore you here. We have been happy on both lines but there is just a little something extra about Celebrity. Century was our "first" and she was a beautiful ship. She is probably even more so after her refurbishment last year. And with the price difference, to me it's no contest. The food alone would decide it.

Also depends on what experience you are looking for. In general X attracts an older crowd, is somewhat more elegant than RCL, often people say the food is somewhat better on X, but RCL is often better if you are in to lots of activities (i.e. rock climbing, singing/dancing waiters) etc.

I would lean towards RCI. We, a mid-thirties couple, traveled with Celebrity to Hawaii and loved the ship, cabin, and entertainment, but we found we missed the onboard activities provided by RCI like Quest, the singing in the dining room, the "fun stuff" that Celebrity seems to want to keep away.

Many passengers on our particular cruise complained about the food on Celebrity, maybe it was just an off week but a lot of people were talking about the quality--the PRESENTATION was wonderful but not much after that.

I really think it is about who you are--as a professional couple in our 30s who like the rock wall, flowrider, the ice skating so we have decided to stick with RCI.

No matter what, I'd take a week at sea over work any day!!

Enjoy!

This is just my opinion.

I have sailed both ships, and much prefer Grandeur. I prefer the brass, glass and pretty woods that she has. She's also a nice size ship, not too big, not too small. The Port of Tampa was so easy to use. We drove up from S. Fla, spent a night in Orlando,(more hotels available ) drove to Tampa in the am, and were the first people on board. It worked for us.

They are both older ships, and I believe the prices on the Century have been going down because she hasn't had the great reviews of other ships in the fleet = just not that popular.

The are both about the same size. Guess it really depends on where you are coming from and is it easier to get to Miami vs Tampa? The other things to consider is the cruise credit. You have 2 RCCI trips already, so if you do the Grandeur you will be at 3. If you do Celebrity, you will then have 1 credit on Celebrity, but it does not add one to RCCI even though they are owned by the same company. So if you are trying to get to the next level on Royal (which is Platinum at 5), then I would go on Royal.

That is incorrect. You WILL earn a credit if you sail Celebrity as they are owned by the same company. I've done it myself. Good luck in whichever you choose.

That is incorrect. You WILL earn a credit if you sail Celebrity as they are owned by the same company. I've done it myself. Good luck in whichever you choose.

You will earn a credit on your Captains Club, but not your Crown and Anchor, therefore delaying the rise to Platinum

I know you earn a credit, but the credit is with Celebrity not Royal. As such, if you had 2 Royal credits before you cruise Celebrity, you will now have 1 Celebrity credit but still only 2 Royal credits. So if your goal is to get to 5 Royal credits so you can make Diamond, sailing on Celebrity is not going to help you.

You will not earn credit with RCI if you cruise Celebrity. You will earn credit with Celebrity. They do not combine. You will be treated on both lines according to your highest credit. If you cruise once with RCI and once with Celebrity your score is 1@....not 2.

For activites RCL for food (Murano on Century is an awesome experience)

I like both lines for different reasons and would not hestiate to do both.

Benefits are better if you are a crown and anchor member on Royal.

You will not earn credit with RCI if you cruise Celebrity. You will earn credit with Celebrity. They do not combine. You will be treated on both lines according to your highest credit. If you cruise once with RCI and once with Celebrity your score is 1@....not 2.

I"m just confirming this so there is NO misunderstanding........I agree with this and this is correct information

I started laughing when I saw Petel Asked - Wolf Answered. As the Wolfie in question, I back up my prior statements so I won't bore you here. We have been happy on both lines but there is just a little something extra about Celebrity. Century was our "first" and she was a beautiful ship. She is probably even more so after her refurbishment last year. And with the price difference, to me it's no contest. The food alone would decide it.

I've pointed several folks to your posts. Seems like a lot of the information is repeated from time to time and I try to keep track of what changes and what doesn't. Kind of a hobby. Thank you again for your consideration and information.

Pete

Archived