OMG - I just paid for an upgrade to a Grand Suite!!!

cs

Do you know if there is a dining size table on the balcony? Thanks!

There was one on the Freedom on the GS balcony. There were 2 lounge chairs, 2 regular chairs, 1 small table and one table big enough to eat on.

Congrats! Good luck going back to anything less. :D I had one on our last cruise and now I can't even look at a plain old balcony cabin. ;)

cs,

You'll love the suite, I'm sure of it. Just wait, though, until your next booking and that little voice inside your head says, "Go on, go for the OS!"

Buwhahahahahaahahaha!

That is exactly what we did!! We loved the GS - the OS has the same configuration but it's bigger.

You will love the suite and all the perks....and all the room....and the storage ..... and the bathroom....and the balcony:D

Congrats! I do have a question though.. and this is for anyone who would spend the money on a suite, especially a Grand Suite.

Is it worth the upgrade price?

Let me explain for a minute....

If the price for a 10 day cruise in a GS is roughly the same as TWO 10 day cruises in a balcony... which is better? I understand there are gratiuites, excursions, etc that make the 2 cruise option pricier, but even with that.. a GS is quite expensive.

I'm ONLY saying this because I have asked myself the SAME question. I've gone on 2 cruises in the past year, but if I booked a large suite on one of them, I would have only been able to afford the 1 cruise. To me, the 2 cruise option is better. Unless you have cash laying around, then it doesn't matter - you can do the 2 cruises in an Owners Suite ;)

I suppose this is one of those "$100,000 questions"?

Hi

I've got a GS booked on the Explore for FEB, I do think about upgrading to an OS.

The reason why I like gs's or above.

1) more room for the 3 of us

2) basically can only do one vacation a year so I might as well treat us right.

3) Size of balcony - I love my balcony.

4) CL room - just got to have the cappacino machine 24/7

5) 2 C&A credits

now I have booked the 9A's on Carnival room is small but oh my goodness the balcony is to die for....aft and it wraps the corner...

pbelavich, I lived in Lakewood from 73 to 85. Moved to the Carolina's in 85. Used to go to Toms River often. My mom lived in one of those retirement villages there until she moved down south to be closer to me.

Still miss "the shore"!! Used to hang out in Sea Girt and Spring Lake beaches during the summer.

We are on the Explorer in 1570 for a New England and Bermuda cruise in September. Looking very forward to it! I call my trips to NJ a trip to the mother ship!!:D

Congrats! I do have a question though.. and this is for anyone who would spend the money on a suite, especially a Grand Suite.

If the price for a 10 day cruise in a GS is roughly the same as TWO 10 day cruises in a balcony... which is better? I understand there are gratiuites, excursions, etc that make the 2 cruise option pricier, but even with that.. a GS is quite expensive.

I'm ONLY saying this because I have asked myself the SAME question. I've gone on 2 cruises in the past year, but if I booked a large suite on one of them, I would have only been able to afford the 1 cruise. To me, the 2 cruise option is better. Unless you have cash laying around, then it doesn't matter - you can do the 2 cruises in an Owners Suite ;)

I can only take so many cruises a year due to time constraints (vacation time allowed by my husband's employer) so I NEVER look at it as, by doing THIS suite I can't take 3 other cruises. I look it as "What's the BEST cabin I can get for THIS cruise and how much am I willing to spend?"

I book the highest suite possible that fits in the budget at THAT moment. On RCCL it might be a GS. On Carnival it might be their top category a Cat 12 Penthouse.

But if I was someone who could take cruises all year round and I had to make it fit in some sort of a budget, then YES I would be like you...wondering if I can take 3 balconies instead of 1 suite.

But I can tell you I would never say "Oh I can take 3 INSIDES" for the price of a balcony. I am not willing to give up the balcony.

We have a GS on AOS September 16th!

Owners looked very nice but the balcony is soooo small on this ship for the owners 69sft... compared to GS wonder why?

If you look at the layout on the 1st 3 Voyager class ships (Voyager, Adventure & Explorer) you will see that the Owners Suite bedroom goes all the way to the edge of the ship so the only balcony space is that off the living room. Where as on the last two in the class (Navigator, Mariner) the bedroom is set in and the balcony spans the length of the suite. Thank god they changed it for the Mariner and Navigator. Makes much more sense.

I can only take so many cruises a year due to time constraints (vacation time allowed by my husband's employer) so I NEVER look at it as, by doing THIS suite I can't take 3 other cruises. I look it as "What's the BEST cabin I can get for THIS cruise and how much am I willing to spend?"

I book the highest suite possible that fits in the budget at THAT moment. On RCCL it might be a GS. On Carnival it might be their top category a Cat 12 Penthouse.

But if I was someone who could take cruises all year round and I had to make it fit in some sort of a budget, then YES I would be like you...wondering if I can take 3 balconies instead of 1 suite.

But I can tell you I would never say "Oh I can take 3 INSIDES" for the price of a balcony. I am not willing to give up the balcony.

Oh, I agree! I would never give up a balcony :)

BTW, I see in your Sig you are doing a Sensation to Bahamas. We just did that one in March. We had Cat 12 Penthouses (Rooms U75 and U79). I really enjoyed that cruise. The kids LOVED the pool with its waterslide as well as the Icecream Machines :)

We go for the GS or OS cabins because there are 3 of us and there's often not much difference in price between 1 suite and 2 balcony cabins. Like Cruisinmama, we would never give up the balcony. And while my parents are long retired, I'm still working and there are only so many days I can be away from the office. The 7-day cruises now seem too short to me, so it's one 10-14 day voyage in a suite for us!

Happy cruising,

Susan

You're gonna love it. GS has a better setup really than OS on RCCL because the balconies are larger than OS balconies on many ships.

Great bathroom, and the ability to use the CL and all of its perks!

I say it was a great move!

IS it worth it??? Well if the choice is between not cruising or taking an inside or normal balcony cabin,forgoing a suite.... i would opt to cruise no matter what i am sleeping in.

DH wouldn't agree..like the previous post, he works hard and wants to enjoy the fruits of his labor. Fact is, he is spoiled but since he's the breadwinner...i enjoy the ride.:D

Our first cruise was in a royal suite celebrating our 25th and daughter's graduation and 18th bday...we then let reality guide us to an Owner's suite..which we did twice. We had 2 kids with us so we could use the extra room esp bathroom space!

Last cruise i finally convinced him to try the Grand Suite which i could do since the balcony on the Serenade's GS is MUCH larger than the OS...we had the kids in separate cabins this time. He loved it . Thankfully i can probably squeeze in an extra cruise every couple of years based on those $$ savings.

The suites are great mostly for the space in the cabins and the bathrooms. The concierge service is nice but we could probably do without that. We do love our balconies and when traveling with teens , the suites gave us room to gather before dinner or before a show, play some games or just talk.... Definitely worth the money for that!

BTW, I see in your Sig you are doing a Sensation to Bahamas. We just did that one in March. We had Cat 12 Penthouses (Rooms U75 and U79). I really enjoyed that cruise. The kids LOVED the pool with its waterslide as well as the Icecream Machines :)

Cool! We have U70 and U72 (I think that's the numbers....lol)

If you have any pictures posted anywhere I would love to see them. :D

For us, no, it usually isn't worth the extra money to have a suite. Once in a while this incredible deal comes along and the differences are so little you just have to go for it. The extra room is great but we're also comfortable in a D or E hump cabin. The size of the balcony is the tie breaker for us.

Wow - lots of Jersey people - I'm from Monmouth County. I used to live in Howell and graduated from Georgian Court in Lakewood. Now, I've been transplanted to the Philly suburbs.

I've done a Royal Suite on Celebrity several times but I've never done a GS or an OS. I would love to try it one day. Since I'm already Diamond and get access to the CL, the big draw is the extra room. On Celebrity, I was able to upgrade at the pier for a very good price. Of course, the suites have to be available on the day that we sail. Does it work the same way for RC if there are unsold cabins?

LOL!:D I just did the same thing a couple weeks ago myself! We always book a JS so it's been booked for a year, but went nuts and just upgraded to an OS one night! :eek: My DH has no clue! LOL! Well he'll be surprised in Oct. and hopefully I forget about the guilt! LOL:D

LOL!:D I just did the same thing a couple weeks ago myself! We always book a JS so it's been booked for a year, but went nuts and just upgraded to an OS one night! :eek: My DH has no clue! LOL! Well he'll be surprised in Oct. and hopefully I forget about the guilt! LOL:D

Aha, another impulse buyer - lol. I'm sure your DH will have a blast. What a surprise for him!

What sailing are you on? I think we might be on the same one. Are you on the October 26 Explorer?

And for those who asked, I'm from Bayville, NJ. That's just south of Toms River. Lots of NJ folks on here!

Archived