Portable car seats

2cruz

I am interested in finding out from those that have used the portable car seats ( Eddie Bauer, Tote-n-Go) what your opinion is of them. I know the consumer reviews on them are not good but I'd like to hear from those who have actually used them during travels. Curious about ease of use, complaints from child, etc. Thank you.

I have one (Eddie Bauer) and ONLY use it for the taxis from airport to hotel, then hotel to port. If we are doing a long car ride (like in Port Canaveral) then I contact a private car service who brings a car seat.

Ease of use - you have to practice it before you leave. It can be a bit confusing at first...but pretty quick and easy once you know how to hook it up.

Complaints from the child - none. She was fine with it.

It was REALLY easy to carry around. We packed it in a suitecase, then pulled it out after we claimed out backs. It folds to practically nothing.

And that's the biggest problem that I can see with it. It seems really flimsy. The back part bends with no problem so I can just imagine it not protecting very well in an actual car crash.

So we use it for SHORT taxi trips (10 minutes and under). Any longer than that, I would rather have an actual car seat with me.

You don't say how old and big your children are but here is something that is recommended by car seat techs;

http://www.safeandsecurebaby.com/Ride-Safer-Travel-Vest-by-Safe-Traffic-System-Inc.-pr-16347.html

Check for the minimum weight but it's portable and safe. You also need latch and/or a shoulder strap.

I used a Sit & Stroll carseat/stroller when flying but it's expensive and while we travel a lot, I can't recommend it for families who don't. It only goes up to 40# but the top straps are a little low and most children outgrow it before they reach that weight.

There is now a collapsable carseat but it is not FAA approved, so you wont be able to use it on flights. Sorry I can't remember what it's called.

Please bear in mind that things that parents find convenient aren't necessarily safe for the child. In the area of carseat alternatives, specifically for travel, the choices are very limited!

hth!

Here is my issue: My son is 3 years and weighs 54#’s and is 45” tall (yes a big boy) – Most of these “travel car seats” aren’t for his weight/height. Any idea’s on something that might work for us? I have noticed that Taxi’s don’t make kids have any type of car seats. This year we are going from FLL airport to the port of Miami and from what I understand that is about a 45min ride. (We are coming in from Portland, Oregon)

Thank you for any and all help!

Here is my issue: My son is 3 years and weighs 54#’s and is 45” tall (yes a big boy) – Most of these “travel car seats” aren’t for his weight/height. Any idea’s on something that might work for us? I have noticed that Taxi’s don’t make kids have any type of car seats. This year we are going from FLL airport to the port of Miami and from what I understand that is about a 45min ride. (We are coming in from Portland, Oregon)

Thank you for any and all help!

Get a "turbo booster"

My 7 year old is the size of your 3 year old...lol...and we use a "Turbo Booster".

The no back ones are lightweight and easy to install, and cheap too

http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html/sr=1-5/qid=1184947110/ref=sr_1_5/601-9193694-4988941?ie=UTF8&asin=B000LQZM4M

Michele - Have you ever used it on the plane? My boss as been able to use it on the plane with some flights and then others not. I do have one of those for those "emergencies" where I need a car seat and don't want to take my huge one out of my car.

Thank you!

Michele - Have you ever used it on the plane? My boss as been able to use it on the plane with some flights and then others not. I do have one of those for those "emergencies" where I need a car seat and don't want to take my huge one out of my car.

Thank you!

No, it MUST be FAA approved and the Turbo Boosters and Fold N Gos aren't.

When we tried to carry the booster on (years ago) they took it from us and stored it.

Can someone provide some carseat information for the actual shore excursions? Do you take the carseat with you? We are going to the Mexican Riviera and plan on taking about a 20 minute taxi ride to Sea Life Park. Where would we store it once at the water park??? Obviously I want my 3 yr old to travel safely in the taxi...just confused as to what to do with it. Also what about a trip to the beach. Do I lug it with us?

Does anyone have any experiences with this?

As far as I know, you would have to lug it with you everywhere. On our past cruises, I've either walked to a beach or taken a shore excursion using a bus so that I wouldn't have to worry about car seats. (I've just purchased the portable car seats that Michelle has though, so I'm looking forward to having more flexibility next time.)

Michelle - any tips to installing the Eddie Bauer seats? I pulled them out of the box, looked at the directions, and I'm at a bit of a loss...

Thanks everyone for a great thread.

Best,

Mia

K&T's Mom - If you have one of the REALLY flexable ones like the Eddie Bauer than you can literally just hook it to the back of the stroller and push it wherever you go. I can drape mine off of a lightweight umbrella stroller with no problems. And yes, for a 20 minute taxi ride in Mexico you better believe I would be bringing a car seat. ;)

Mia - you take the taxi seatbelt and pull it through the back of the Eddie car seat. Practice in your own car. I know I had to before we left. I also set the harness to fit Gabriella before we left so I wouldn't be struggling with that.

Archived