Can I get a bucket of beer on QM2?

jgsmuzzy

Leave your water butt in the garden; in fact, you may want get another because I have it on the highest authority that it will continue to rain in Britain for quite some time.

What you need for your chug-a-lugging at sea is a folding bucket. They are widely available in a variety of sizes at reasonable cost from many firms that sell stuff to be carried around out of doors by folks who enjoy carrying stuff around out of doors. These folding buckets are made of plastic or canvas and do not look at all dangerous to any human or electronic security scanner that you may encounter in your travels. Should you wish your own private seat on which to sit whilst you quaff your bucket of beer,

the same firm can sell you a folding stool. Caution: do not buy one of their shooting sticks to sit on because no scanner will pass one of those.

Don't forget the collapsible funnel ;)

Darn. You don't just get a bucket o' suds?

And the best way to drink beer of course is to pok a hole near the bottom an have someone hold it over your upturned (and open) mouth. You can't stop drinking til it's gone, or you get a bath!

Karie,

who is ever SO grateful that she did not participate in Fraternity hijinks in college or she would be serious alcoholic or dead by now. (But I will try to make up lost time ion the ship!)

I wonder if they make the "margarita in our mouth, where they tip your head back and pour in the ingredients? Wonder how they do the salt?

Darn. You don't just get a bucket o' suds?

And the best way to drink beer of course is to pok a hole near the bottom an have someone hold it over your upturned (and open) mouth. You can't stop drinking til it's gone, or you get a bath!

Karie,

who is ever SO grateful that she did not participate in Fraternity hijinks in college or she would be serious alcoholic or dead by now. (But I will try to make up lost time ion the ship!)

I wonder if they make the "margarita in our mouth, where they tip your head back and pour in the ingredients? Wonder how they do the salt?

I take it you've never heard of tequila "body shots"? :)

I have a dilemma. I have contacted Cunard and they say it would be fine to have a Bucket of Beer, but that I would have to provide my own bucket. The only bucket I have is the water butt in the garden that is usually used to collect rainwater (about 50 gallons). I am now wondering whether BMI will allow me to take it to New York, via Chicago?

Views would be appreciated.

I have a bucket for you. It has "Rolling Rock Beer" printed on the outside and it is galvanized, so will not be harmed by salt water. If you've never heard of Rolling Rock, it's from an old brewery in Pennsylvania. I think they've been bought by Anheuser-Busch (Budweiser), but they coudln't hurt the flavour of Rolling Rock as it's pretty bad already.

This is, of course, should you decide not to go with the collapsible/packable kind of bucket for beer. Not sure if mine will hold six bottles, so you should consider that in your decision. ;)

It was great not to see the "Bucket O' Beer" advertised in the Daily Programme.:p

You could probably tip your cabin "Stewart;)" and borrow his bucket, go down to the Golden lion, and fill it up with some brewskis- either bottles or ask them to drain the taps into the bucket.

That would be a Cunard first. However, you must wear cutoff jeans and a tank top on formal night in order for this to be allowed.

The outfit I wore for the first night, Elegant Casual, will be the outfit I'm wearing on formal night on my RCCL Explorer cruise to Bermuda next month.

:confused: You DO all realize that "bucket of beer" on the Carnival board you poke fun at means six bottles sitting in a bucket of ice, right? Not a bucket filled to the rim with beer ;)

:( I thought it was literally a bucket of beer:( (a bit like a pitcher of cocktails you can buy in a pub). I don't see any reason why you can't have beer truly in a bucket if you want. I'm just imagining The Golden Lion filled with people swigging from buckets:D

:( I thought it was literally a bucket of beer:( (a bit like a pitcher of cocktails you can buy in a pub). I don't see any reason why you can't have beer truly in a bucket if you want. I'm just imagining The Golden Lion filled with people swigging from buckets:D

Malcolm,

Shows you are just not a true Beer connoisseur! Obviously, unless the bucket had a special spout, one might spill beer while swigging. That is called alcohol abuse!

Karie,

a true Beer Snob <G>

You can pass it to me when you disembark in January. I will be getting on as you get off!

I promise to photograph it and will send you a copy of it's travels.

I could leave it onboard for you. With the bartender in the Commodore's Club, or something like that.

I can see this bucket having a portfolio of photos in manner of the roaming gnome.

Kathy

What a great idea! Perhaps you can find a stuffed orange cat to tote around with you when the bucket is temporarily beer-free?

We're driving to the ship, so it shouldn't be a problem to bring the bucket, will it? Carry on or checked bags?

What a great idea! Perhaps you can find a stuffed orange cat to tote around with you when the bucket is temporarily beer-free?

We're driving to the ship, so it shouldn't be a problem to bring the bucket, will it? Carry on or checked bags?

Joking aside, perhaps "the bucket" could attend any cruise critic meetings. Then everyone would know who was who. Posted photographs holding "the bucket of Cruise-Critic"?

Or am I just losing it?

Matthew

With any luck that cat is going to pose for a photograph on one of the props. End of cat:D

I am liking the idea of a Cruise Critic bucket. Angela, please take it with you on your January sailing, leave it in the Golden Lion with instructions that it will be collected the following night. We just need to find someone who is on the sailing after mine now to take up the baton (bucket)

I am liking the idea of a Cruise Critic bucket. Angela, please take it with you on your January sailing, leave it in the Golden Lion with instructions that it will be collected the following night. We just need to find someone who is on the sailing after mine now to take up the baton (bucket)

Here is the bucket...shined up and ready for the crazy Cunarders.

671458841_BucketoBeer.jpg.3b36ab3eaf0fbb11d73bef693dfad8a1.jpg

Excellent! Looks good to me. I will have to remind to to take it with you in Jan!

Yes, please. Now, should it go checked bag, carry on, or should I just swing it in my hand as I skip merrily onboard? Should a stuffed animal (not Sir Martin) be inside at first? Decisions, decisions....

PS: The bucket has gotten a bit of a dent in it, but that just adds character, yes?

Yes, please. Now, should it go checked bag, carry on, or should I just swing it in my hand as I skip merrily onboard? Should a stuffed animal (not Sir Martin) be inside at first? Decisions, decisions....

PS: The bucket has gotten a bit of a dent in it, but that just adds character, yes?

Bring markers and we can all sign it as each group gets on board! <LOL>

Karie,

who things the cruise critics log has more staying power!

Carry on the bucket filled with beer of course, well chilled so that the security gizmos don't spoil it. Added benefit is that should you be delayed in boarding, who cares!? On second thought, fill it with ale, it travels better.

Carry on the bucket filled with beer of course, well chilled so that the security gizmos don't spoil it. Added benefit is that should you be delayed in boarding, who cares!? On second thought, fill it with ale, it travels better.

Yes to ale. I love IPA. But it would have to be bottled rather than the bucket filled with beer. I don't want to spill as I skip onboard.

Yes to ale. I love IPA. But it would have to be bottled rather than the bucket filled with beer. I don't want to spill as I skip onboard.

OK bottles, skip away, but don't neglect Bass, Boddingtons, and especially Worthington's Best Bitter.

Paul

OK bottles, skip away, but don't neglect Bass, Boddingtons, and especially Worthington's Best Bitter.

Paul

Um Paul, those are all wonderful and delicious, too, but this bucket isn't all that big.

Perhaps, to abide by the rules as set out by Cunard, it should be a bottle of champagne in the bucket while boarding?

Archived