Balconys Open Dividers

Matlily

I will be sailing on the Conquest in September and have 4 balconies cabins in a row and we wanted to be able to have them open the dividers and now just read a review that said only now on port days, anyone know why that is????

:confused:

I got mine open on the Legend. They only open about 20 per cruise. I went down to the pursers desk and I got my name put on a list to have it open. Its also up to the Capt. If the weather is not good they will not open any.

On the Conquest, you should be able to ask your steward to open them for you.

Thats what I thought and then I just read a review on the conquest and the steward would only open it on port days for them, which normally means your not on the ship! :D

Just off Conquest July 8th and I asked my room steward to open dividers. Was only able to open once we reached Jamaica. They stayed open until we left Cozumel heading back to Galveston. He said he was not able to leave them open during sea days. Hope this helps.

Just off Conquest July 8th and I asked my room steward to open dividers. Was only able to open once we reached Jamaica. They stayed open until we left Cozumel heading back to Galveston. He said he was not able to leave them open during sea days. Hope this helps.

Thanks very much, its seems a shame to me that we can't have them open the whole time to chit chat with our friends

Yes, this is very disappointing to me :( . My family has 3 stern "extended" balconies on the Conquest in October and we were counting on being able to visit on the balconies with the partitions removed. It does little good to only have them open when we are off the ship in port. I really love the extremely large stern balconies on the Rhapsody which are much larger than even the "extended" stern balconies on the Conquest. Being able to open the partitions of the Conquest was going to go aways toward making up for the smaller "extended" balconies. Guess Rhapsody spoiled me. May have to look for another ship next cruise...

It took us a day or two to get ours open on the Conquest back in October but once they were open, they stayed open until we were back in Galveston and off the ship.

We have another balcony on the Liberty this October and I plan to hit the room steward and the pursers desk immediately upon embarking. I definitely want it open.

When I cruised back in September on the Conquest our room steward opened our dividers with no problems ... I think he had to get someone to come do it ... but they stayed open from day one until we got off the ship.

I don't know if each ship is different, but we were on the Triumph and wanted ours open with our friends next door, but the steward said he couldn't do it because the partition would then block their door to get out of their room. So, I guess it depends on which way they open.

When I cruised back in September on the Conquest our room steward opened our dividers with no problems ... I think he had to get someone to come do it ... but they stayed open from day one until we got off the ship.

For some reason, the Conquest instituted a policy earlier this year that they would not open the dividers until the first port (Montego Bay) was reached.

No one seems to know why, and so far it is only a policy on the Conquest.

Please note, it is until the first port day not only while in port.

I don't know if each ship is different, but we were on the Triumph and wanted ours open with our friends next door, but the steward said he couldn't do it because the partition would then block their door to get out of their room. So, I guess it depends on which way they open.

That does not sound right. I doubt they would allow a design flaw like that ... probably just an excuse he made up.

That does not sound right. I doubt they would allow a design flaw like that ... probably just an excuse he made up.

Actually on the Conguest class ship every other partition will block the cabin door. But not on the Triumph class.

For some reason, the Conquest instituted a policy earlier this year that they would not open the dividers until the first port (Montego Bay) was reached.

No one seems to know why, and so far it is only a policy on the Conquest.

Please note, it is until the first port day not only while in port.

Ahh good to know thanks.

We had ours open in two side by side balcony cabins on the Glory. It was so much fun. We asked the cabin steward who did it gladly and we gave him a few dollars tip. The balcony remained open until our return to US.

Hi on the Victory in June we had 3 balcony cabins together, they were able to open the one between two of the cabins but could not open the second because it blocked the balcony door for our friends to get in their cabin the cabin steward was very nice and showed us how it blocked the door. Having the one divider open was great and we moved the chairs and table off the third balcony so we had enough seating for all of us. All six of us were very comfortable with just the one divider open! We went to the pursers office about an hour after boarding but our Cabin Steward opened it for us and kept it open the entire 5 days. We were on the Canada cruise and it was very windy at night but she never shut the divider and we did not have any problem. Hope this helps!

Thanks for all the replies, I have my fingers crossed that at least one of the dividers will be opened for us, but from these answers looks like I might have to wait three days into cruise when we get to Jamaica.

We had the same problem when we tried to get balcony dividers open on the Valor, were told some would block the doors and couldn't be opened. Room steward couldn't do it, had to go to the purser's desk.

Just got off the Pride and the sign-up sheet at the Purser's desk to get the dividers open said "Only 65 clamps" which I took to mean they could open 65 doors and not the twenty that seems to be the number tossed around as the maximum. It was disappointing to not have them opened on the Valor and we LOVED having 4 in a row on the Pride.

I will be sailing on the Conquest in September and have 4 balconies cabins in a row and we wanted to be able to have them open the dividers and now just read a review that said only now on port days, anyone know why that is????

:confused:

On the Spirit Class ships, there is a limit of only 25 Balcony partitions that can be opened, Its probably some maritime law or something. Im sure they have more then 25 on the Conquest class, not sure. You will need to head to the Pursers Desk and get those Cabins numbers on that list before it fills up.

So when you get onboard, check with the pursers desk, ask them if they have a limit on that type of ship.

Fred

On the Legend the balcony divider opened up to the ships rail. The told me the reason they could only open so many per cruise was because they only had so many parts to go on the rail to hold the divider open.

When I went on the Conquest two years ago, I brought this little tool, maybe a swiss army knife, that I read about on here, so that we could open and close the divider as we wanted. It worked great, even though we did it only a couple of times. We did it with neighbors permission only once when we were talking to them. WE used it mainly to get to the front of the ship and then would lock it back up; we had the first cabin on the Panorama deck and would open it up to get from our private balcony to our "semi" private one, which happens to be the front of the ship.

Not sure if I can do it on the next one, because we drove to get on the conquest and will not drive to the next one and not sure if the airline will allow it on the plane.

Archived