Houston-TOTAL CLOSURE both eastbound and westbound Katy Frwy (I-10) 7/14-7/15/07

944cruiser

Hey guys,

TxDOT posted a TOTAL CLOSURE both eastbound and westbound of the Katy Freeway from Wilcrest to Gessner this weekend. They are taking everyone off at the Beltway exit.

I'm driving in Sunday morning from San Antonio to Galveston for a cruise. Any ideas from the Houstonians? Kat? Anybody?

My first thought would be to take the beltway south and just follow it around to 45 south. You will reconnect to 45 south just north of Clear lake. The beltway is a toll road, but I don't travel it enough to tell you what the cost will be.

I would take the Grand parkway (Hwy 99) south just past Katy, proceed to hwy59 and go North on into town until you meet up with 45 South to Galveston. A few extra miles, maybe 30 minutes of extra time, but at least you will not be stuck in non-moving traffic. Also no tolls on this route.:)

Look at the possibility of taking Hwy 6 south off of I-10, taking one of the major streets (Memorial, Briarforest, Westhemimer) east/left off Hwy 6 to Beltway 8/Sam Houston Tollway and then taking that road south to I-45 South.

In fact, it might be better to exit I-10 at 99/Grand Parkway and to south to Westheimer or the Westpark Tollway (only available it you have an eZtag or the state equivalent) and take those road into Beltway 8/Sam Houston Tollway and go south as noted above.

In other words, get off I-10 ASAP as I feel it will be a "zoo"!!!

Archived