Galveston Traffic

DMW/LAW

A few month ago, there was quite a bit of talk about construction on the new bridge and demolition of the old bridge on I-45 that leads onto Galveston island itself. The concerns centered around the bridge actually being shut down for several hours in the mornings for construction and traffic being at a stand still for those trying to get to the cruise ships. Does anybody (especially those who have recently sailed on the Conquest) know if that is still a cncern, or has that particular problem gone away? We sail on the Conquest Sept. 9th and are planning on diving down from the Dallas area that morning and I have my fingers crossed that they bridge won't be shut down.

A few month ago, there was quite a bit of talk about construction on the new bridge and demolition of the old bridge on I-45 that leads onto Galveston island itself. The concerns centered around the bridge actually being shut down for several hours in the mornings for construction and traffic being at a stand still for those trying to get to the cruise ships. Does anybody (especially those who have recently sailed on the Conquest) know if that is still a cncern, or has that particular problem gone away? We sail on the Conquest Sept. 9th and are planning on diving down from the Dallas area that morning and I have my fingers crossed that they bridge won't be shut down.

The causeway demolition is finished. Currently one lane is closed southbound. The bigger trouble spot now is I-45 between Bay Area Blvd. and FM-518. A new interchange is under construction and the weekends have seen alot of closures.

The best advice I can offer you is to check here.

http://roadworks.houstontranstar.org/

Hey DMW. We, too, live in the DFW area, Sachse actually. We drove down to Galveston the end of April, during the height of the bridge troubles. The construction only delayed us about 20 minutes on the drive down. We left home around 7:30 because I want to be the first in line!!! That way, actually the traffic was still not that bad because of it being a Sunday. We were actually on the Rhapsody and not the Conquest.

If you have any questions i will be happy to answer them!

Cindy

WOW, very helpful answers, very fast. Thanks to all!

I wished we could go down the night before, but the frugal side of me doesn't want to spend the money for 2 hotels rooms (me and my wife and my 22y/o daughter and her best friend) I'm already paying for the cruise for everyone and would rather apply the money that I would spend on the hotel rooms and meals the night before on my bar tab! We are leaving Rowlett (suburb of a suburb of Dallas) at 7:00 that morning so that should put us in Galveston area before noon. Even if there is a delay, I hope that should still be enough time.

We live north of Houston in the Conroe/Woodlands area. There is major road work there too. On most days, it is ok, but if there is an accident, get ready to spend 30-45 minutes to go 10 miles!

My daughter and I were on Conquest July 1st, and we drove up the day before, and there was a traffic accident right before you get into Galveston, and the traffic was backed up for MILES!! It was very slow going for a while!:eek:

We live north of Houston in the Conroe/Woodlands area. There is major road work there too. On most days, it is ok, but if there is an accident, get ready to spend 30-45 minutes to go 10 miles!

This is so true. We live in the same general area and it can get very backed up even during non-rush hour.

My daughter and I were on Conquest July 1st, and we drove up the day before, and there was a traffic accident right before you get into Galveston, and the traffic was backed up for MILES!! It was very slow going for a while!:eek:

If there is an accident on the causeway, you can sit for hours. Trust me, we went to see the Conquest leave on a Sunday. There was an accident on the bridge. We sat for 2 hours. Kids were out on their skateboards and one kid was riding a bike around waiting for them to clear the accident. NOT FUN! :cool:

yea we live in decatur and i was afraid of coming down the "day of" so i talked my dh into staying the sat night before-

we got a GREAT deal on priceline at the harbour house for 95 bucks-

i had reservations at texas city and the baymont in galveston-

but i could not handle the stress of driving from d/fw the day of --

Wow...we were just down at Tiki Island a month or so ago and had no probs with the causeway bridge!Luckily for us we can just come in on 87,take the ferry and avoid the bridge,however we are still going the day before to party on the Strand!We will also be on Conquest Sept.9....not long to go now!

Archived