Your Best Upsell

ma_t_gus

I do believe, I do believe, I do, I do, I do, I do believe.

Got the upsell email today. From an AF to AB on the Pearl on 11-2-07.

$250.00 per person. Of course we took it!!!

Woo-hoo!:D How great. Of course, you'll enjoy every single minute.

(odblnt: Thanks. I'm glad you found it helpful.)

beachchick

• 2 weeks later...
NCL's "Business Enhancement Consultant" e-mailed a $300ea. upsell? from BA to a AF Mini suite for our 13 day Trans Atlantic on the JADE this spring - Since I'm suppose to have a personal cruise consultant I e-mailed a counter offer & questioned why any special offers weren't coming from her.

NO REPLY! :confused: I don't care what the reply would be but just peeved that there was none.

BEC e-mailed a new offer :D - $200. / pax, BA to AF. so now its 850/pax for 13 days, on the "new" JADE's Trans Atl. I took it!

TA called yesterday saying she had an aft suite, 9208 for $700. Said no. Researched the deck plans and saw it was owners suite. She called back later offering it for $400. Took it.

I take it that the $400. was * in addition to * whatever you originally paid? I believe the upsell rate is based on what you've paid out already. i.e. the less you've paid for what you've got then the higher the price of the upsell. That makes sense to me anyway.

1) cruiseline/NCL Star

2) sail date Nov 24

3) days before sail date when contacted 3 weeks

4) price per person $300 total (150/pp) and we had a hell of a deal on the original AF

5) from what category to the new category AF deck 11 to AD suite

6) did you take it Damn straight!

7) was it worth it Will let you know but how could it not be!

I take it that the $400. was * in addition to * whatever you originally paid? I believe the upsell rate is based on what you've paid out already. i.e. the less you've paid for what you've got then the higher the price of the upsell. That makes sense to me anyway.

In general terms, it is true that upsell rates are based on the difference between what you paid for what you've got (not the rate at the time, but what you actually paid) and the current fare for the new category. You're correct, of course, that upsells are an amount you pay in addition to what you've already paid. However, there is no hard and fast rule about what you might be offered.

If it's getting close to the cruise time and they really want to upsell particular cabins/suites, the upsell rep can certainly decrease the upsell amount. We said no to the first two calls we received (it was a quiet time with many suites available) because it wasn't worth the budget bite to us. The third call, less than 2 weeks before our cruise date, was to go from an AF to an A4 Courtyard Villa for less than half of what the original offer was. Basically, she dropped the upsell in our case down to what she originally offered for us to go from our prime aft AF to an AE. It was the whole Courtyard deal that swung it for us, plus we had decided in advance exactly how much we would be willing to pay. We knew that only the A4s and one GV were available. Because the A4s are the smaller one bedroom CVs, they don't fill as easily. That was to our benefit. We basically paid 15% of the difference between what we had paid for our AF (at an excellent senior rate) and the going rate for the A4. In fact, we ended up paying less for the A4 overall than we had originally paid to book a BA (before price reductions, senior discount, etc.). Sweet! (I am under no delusion that this is common and have no expectation that it will happen again; if it does, yippee!, if it doesn't, no sweat because we always book a cabin we will be happy with and that fits our budget.)

beachchick

In general terms, it is true that upsell rates are based on the difference between what you paid for what you've got (not the rate at the time, but what you actually paid) and the current fare for the new category. You're correct, of course, that upsells are an amount you pay in addition to what you've already paid. However, there is no hard and fast rule about what you might be offered.

If it's getting close to the cruise time and they really want to upsell particular cabins/suites, the upsell rep can certainly decrease the upsell amount. We said no to the first two calls we received (it was a quiet time with many suites available) because it wasn't worth the budget bite to us. The third call, less than 2 weeks before our cruise date, was to go from an AF to an A4 Courtyard Villa for less than half of what the original offer was. Basically, she dropped the upsell in our case down to what she originally offered for us to go from our prime aft AF to an AE. It was the whole Courtyard deal that swung it for us, plus we had decided in advance exactly how much we would be willing to pay. We knew that only the A4s and one GV were available. Because the A4s are the smaller one bedroom CVs, they don't fill as easily. That was to our benefit. We basically paid 15% of the difference between what we had paid for our AF (at an excellent senior rate) and the going rate for the A4. In fact, we ended up paying less for the A4 overall than we had originally paid to book a BA (before price reductions, senior discount, etc.). Sweet! (I am under no delusion that this is common and have no expectation that it will happen again; if it does, yippee!, if it doesn't, no sweat because we always book a cabin we will be happy with and that fits our budget.)

beachchick

Did you already go on this cruise? Was the courtyard as fun for you as it is for many who have reported here?

And for dirtsquirt... Enjoy that aft AD. I know we are looking forward to ours on the Pearl next year. ;)

Did you already go on this cruise? Was the courtyard as fun for you as it is for many who have reported here?

And for dirtsquirt... Enjoy that aft AD. I know we are looking forward to ours on the Pearl next year. ;)

Yes, it was PoH last December. Here's the link to my very extensive review:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=476505&highlight=%22pride+hawaii%22

It was wonderful and a real treat to be VIPs. The Courtyard and Courtyard Sundeck are both great.

beachchick

• 1 month later...

We were just offered an upsell two days ago for our Jewel Cruise Jan 18th.

We were in a mini-suite and they offered us a two bedroom penthouse for $300 pp (there are 4 of us).

We said yes, but by the time my TA contacted NCL they no longer had any penthouses available. They offered us a CV for the same price.

We said yes, of course.

I can't wait to go. I'm so happy that my kids actually have their own little room..........yippee!!!

We booked online on Travelocity, has anybody who booked online ever got the call? ******fingers crossed******

Is it only if you book through a TA?

Yes, I for one have received a call from the Upsell Fairy after booking a cruise online.

How many times do the regulars have to post there are no rhymes or reasons of getting an upsell call? That's why we call the person calling the Fairy in the first place.

Yes, I for one have received a call from the Upsell Fairy after booking a cruise online.

How many times do the regulars have to post there are no rhymes or reasons of getting an upsell call? That's why we call the person calling the Fairy in the first place.

Thought it was a valid question as every single post (which I did go through), mentioned dealing with a travel agent. But thanks for your "help" anyways.

• 3 weeks later...
We booked online on Travelocity, has anybody who booked online ever got the call? ******fingers crossed******

Is it only if you book through a TA?

I've been wondering the same thing. I was planning to book with an internet-only agency since the price was so much better, but am wondering if they will even bother contacting me if an offer is made.

We recently booked 3 BA Balcony cabins for our first NCL cruise on the Pearl (2/17/08 sailing). There are 7 of us, and my MIL is a single in her own cabin. I'm hoping that we get an upgrade call because we'd like for at least one of us to have access to the concierge service just so we can get restaurant reservations for our entire group. The entire booking is under my name (and credit card), so hopefully NCL will know that we're traveling together. I checked the inventory this morning, and the 3BR GVs are both gone, but there are several 2 BR suites left. Maybe they'll offer to put 3 or 4 of us in a 2 BR suite freeing up 2 of the balcony cabins? So here's my question -- we booked through Vacations to Go (with an assigned TA). Should I contact him to let him know that we'd be interested in this type of upgrade and how much we'd be willing to pay for it? Thanks in advance to all those who have shared their experiences and advice!

OK, that's strange. I just sent my TA an email message telling him we'd be interested in an upsell if one should be offered to us. I then went on ncl.com to see how many 2 BR suites were still available, and there weren't any...after I saw 3 or 4 last night! Looks like the upgrade fairy has already done her work...and passed us by?! :-(

Oh well...I'll still keep my fingers crossed (and I know we'll have a great time either way)!

I'm really new to CC and I don't understand all of the "lingo" could you slow down a bit and explain what it is your saying in case I get a call ? I'm sorry !!

( AG,GTY,AF,OS,AC,AE,BD,BC,BE,BA) i feel very stupid ! is there a place to find all of these abbreviations ? help! I'm lost @ sea and I'm drowning:(

1) cruiseline/ship Pride of America

2) sail date - March 1, 2008

3) days before sail date when contacted - 44 email and phone

4) price per person - $400 per person

5) from what category to the new category - AE to AA Owners Suite

6) did you take it - Yes!

7) was it worth it - will let you know in a month!