Your Best Upsell

ma_t_gus

Yesterday I got a call from our TA with an upsale proposal. I cant remember what type of balcony cabin we had, but the upsale was to a garden villa. We are taking my Mother-in-law with my husband and I so there would be 3 of us in a cabin---so now we are really excited about being in a garden villa. The upsale was a total of 1000. From what I read it sounds totally worth the money. We are sailing on the Pearl May 18.:)

Very nice - sounds like it will be well worth it. Congratulations!!

Yesterday I got a call from our TA with an upsale proposal. I cant remember what type of balcony cabin we had, but the upsale was to a garden villa. We are taking my Mother-in-law with my husband and I so there would be 3 of us in a cabin---so now we are really excited about being in a garden villa. The upsale was a total of 1000. From what I read it sounds totally worth the money. We are sailing on the Pearl May 18.:)

WOW! That is really great!:) Are you sure though it was a "Garden Villa" or was it a "Courtyard Villa"? Either one would be great, but $1,000 for the Garden Villa is very, very good! Enjoy your cruise and we'll be eager to hear all about your cruise when you return!

1) cruiseline/ship Sun

2) sail date May 2007

3) days before sail date when contacted 1-2 weeks

4) price per person 50.00

5) from what category to the new category BD to AD

6) did you take it yes

7) was it worth it yes and no (loved the cabin and bathroom, the forward balcony was usually too windy to use)

Sorry everyone---I was wrong about yesterdays upsell--I said it was up to a garden villa, but it was to a courtyard villa. I went back to check and saw I was wrong. Im still really excited about a courtyard villa. Can anyone tell me if the villas open up directly to the courtyard or do you have to go down a hall or something?

Sorry everyone---I was wrong about yesterdays upsell--I said it was up to a garden villa, but it was to a courtyard villa. I went back to check and saw I was wrong. Im still really excited about a courtyard villa. Can anyone tell me if the villas open up directly to the courtyard or do you have to go down a hall or something?

There is a hallway between the cabins and the courtyard, but it depends on which cabin how far you have to walk to enter the courtyard.

Great deal on the upsell, though.

You still got a great deal and you'll enjoy the courtyard and the private viewing area up above for your Alaska cruise! Make sure you take advantage of breakfast and lunch in Cagney's!

Here's a picture of the hallway for the courtyard villas--way up on the very left is the entrance to the courtyard and the cabins are on the right side.

158_5827.jpg.4edc4f1c58d98098d736c33154ae731e.jpg

10 days before departure

Majesty to Bermuda April 19, 2008

Cat F to Cat CC both obstructed outside cabins

$25 per person

Took it

Have never sailed with NCL but was dismayed by the small cabin (108 sq ft) for cat F, so we are very pleased to get a cabin with a fridge and 37 more square feet at the aft of the ship where we can walk out our door to the deck, up a set of stairs to food on deck 10, or down the stairs one deck to a shady or sunny lounging area on deck 8. There are no balconies on this ship so this is the very best we can do short of being offered a suite.

• 4 months later...

Have been offered upsells on 2 of my 4 NCL cruises. I was offered an upsell from an AB to an AA on the Majesty for $1200 and I declined. I was offered an upsell from an AC to and AA on the Pearl for $1200 and took it. Great decision! One of the two balconies were on the front of the ship for Glacier Bay. We had 3 bottles of liquor and access to the 14th floor Courtyard. Liked it so much, we booked an A3 for our cruise in October to Quebec City. I guess an upsell to a GV could come, but I doubt it would be $1200.

Have been offered upsells on 2 of my 4 NCL cruises. I was offered an upsell from an AB to an AA on the Majesty for $1200 and I declined. I was offered an upsell from an AC to and AA on the Pearl for $1200 and took it. Great decision! One of the two balconies were on the front of the ship for Glacier Bay. We had 3 bottles of liquor and access to the 14th floor Courtyard. Liked it so much, we booked an A3 for our cruise in October to Quebec City. I guess an upsell to a GV could come, but I doubt it would be $1200.

You're hooked now. ;) We are too!!! :D

It's not a bad thing, but you sure do get spoiled with those AA's.

Enjoy.

Lets see...

We booked on or about December 8, 2007 for PoAm on May 31, 2008

When we first booked we were in Ae/12008...

Someone on our honeymoon registry paid to upgrade us to AD/10016. That was done on January 29, 2008...

On February 19, 2008 we got a call offering an upsell to an owner's suite AA/12502 for an additional $800 p/p...

I booked through a TA and the offer was made by an email from NCL to my TA. My TA contacted me immediately and luckily I'm a technofiend and got her email immediately and was able to respond immediately. My TA said that they had offered the upsell to other people and it was first come first serve.

I absolutely took it. I think the benefits are huge!! Will I regret it? Well... when my credit card bill comes in --- YES.... but Im going to love every minute of it... we are getting married on May 30 and that is our honeymoon cruise!!!

I know I am going off the subject slightly, but how does one set up a honeymoon regristry with NCL? I would LOVE to be able to do this....

Sorry for sneaking in like this... :o

Very interesting thread!

We have never been offered an upsell or upgrade and have completed four sailings (all in suites) on the Dawn, Spirit, Pearl and Sun. Upcoming cruise is 29 Nov and we booked an AA (first time that high a cat.) I don't think they will offer us an upsell to the Garden Villa (lol) and I don't think there are any courtyard villas on this ship.

BTW once on Celebrity our so called "suite", no balconey and you had to climb over the other person to get out of bed. We went to the front desk hoping to get another cabin, even a DOWN grade but they were not helpful. That was 10 nights!

Riotgrl13 - That's why I love that cruisedeckplans site. I want to SEE what I am booking. I don't trust anyone on the phone. Once I received my confirmation and had received a porthole. I am claustrophobic and called my TA (cousin) immediately and she got it corrected. I know exactly what my next cruise will be like because I have had a "tour" of the space.

First time on NCL, booked an AF. Does the Star have courtyard or garden suites to upgrade to? Thanks

The Star has no Courtyard, so no Courtyard Villas or Deluxe Owner's Suite (A2). Honestly though, your chances of an upsell call to the Garden Villa from an AF are very slim. If you get a call, it's far more likely to be an offer for a Penthouse (AE to AC, possibly AB) than the GV. The fare differential between an AF and the GV is usually upwards of $10,000/person (depending on itinerary, ship, time of year, etc.). Now, if you just want to call and pay the actual difference, then you could certainly do that for the GV, but it wouldn't be at a reduced fare.

beachchick

1) cruiseline/ship NCL Spirit

2) sail date- May 2007

3) days before sail date when contacted- Emailed me twice, first time was about 6 weeks before cruise, second time about 3 weeks before cruise

4) price per person- $150

5) from what category to the new category- OV to balcony

6) did you take it- Not the first time they offered it for $450, the second time for $350. DH called the phone number in the email and offered $300 and they took it.

7) was it worth it- OMG so worth it! I'm an early riser and DH likes to sleep in so I had somewhere to sit on the balcony and munch on my tea and fruit early in the morning. I loved that balcony for a private breath of fresh air and getting away from the crowds, sitting and having a beer with DH.:D

AND since I used my NCL Mastercard points, 8 days out of NYC, with a balcony, cost us only $425 TOTAL!!!:D

We booked an oceanview on the Pride of Aloha last April. TA called about a month before sail date and said NCL offered us a balcony for $100 each. I had no idea this was even a possibility at the time--great surprise. We loved that balcony--in fact we were either in port or on that balcony!

• 5 years later...