Luggage at EMbarkment

Augcruise

Going on Sensation 8/21 - When we arrive at the port do we have to give our luggage to a porter? I thought I read somewhere that they are not employed by Carnival and therefore Carnival is not responsible for your luggage. Is there another option?

[quote name='Augcruise']Going on Sensation 8/21 - When we arrive at the port do we have to give our luggage to a porter? I thought I read somewhere that they are not employed by Carnival and therefore Carnival is not responsible for your luggage. Is there another option?[/QUOTE] Are you expecting something *bad* to happen?

Literally thousands of passengers have preceeded you. If the system did not work, they would have changed it by now.

You *may* bring it aboard yourself *if* it is in carry-on sized bags that fit through the security scanners at check-in (11x17). Anything larger *must* be checked at the pier.

[quote name='Augcruise']I guess the question is - is it like an airport with curbside check in and check in inside the building? I'm just trying to picture it -[/QUOTE] A soon as you get off the bus, or out of the cab, or whatever, the stevedores will be there to relieve you of your baggage. You will next see it when it is delivered to your cabin, or more accurately, left outside your door.

Given the number of bags that they deal with in a short period of time, I think their baggage handling record far surpasses *any* airline.

[quote name='Augcruise']I guess the question is - is it like an airport with curbside check in and check in inside the building? I'm just trying to picture it -[/QUOTE]

Yes, it's pretty much like at the airport but more of a festive, excited "hustle bustle" since the travelers are ready to hop on the ship! There will be men (I've never seen women, but there may be some) waiting to help you with your luggage and you'll see where they are going with it. We usually tip them 1.00 - 2.00 per bag.

They'll load it on a big wire basket with lots of other luggage where it will be moved onto the ship later by forklift. You can watch this happening once you get on the ship, grab a drink and look over the side at everyone else boarding.

HTH!

[quote name='retiredldo']Well you tip the porters, which is a scam, as all they do is really move your bags to the big containers. They are then forllifted aboard the ship as was previously mentioned and the ships staff moves your luggage.[/QUOTE][i][font=Comic Sans MS][size=3][color=navy]Pete, [/color][/size][/font][/i]
[i][font=Comic Sans MS][size=3][color=#000080]You forgot one other thing they do for that [u]tip[/u]. They make absolutely sure your luggage doesn't "[b]ACCIDENTALLY" [/b]end up in the harbor. :D [/color][/size][/font][/i]

Ooppps I almost forgot about that LOL I really hate that line and funny how it works that you sort of have to tip them. But I guess that would not be a bad thing if you had great insurance.

Had some folks on our trip on the HAL oosterdam last feb, lost a piece of baggage, to make a long story short, when we returned to the pier a week later, it was still in the xray machine. Go figure, they did get another cruise out of it

Pete

Archived