Can't believe it

Sea and Me

We booked the Coral to the Panam Canal for 1/26/08:) with a balcony guarantee. We never booked a guarantee before but couldn't believe the price. Is there anyone out there who has booked a guarantee before and if so would you tell me your experiences (only if they are good ones;) ). Thanks for your help and did you like the Coral??

Can't help you on the guarantee question, but the Coral is a beautiful ship.

She and her sister, Island Princess, were designed for the Panama Canal, according to Princess' literature when they were introduced.

Hi Carol P, I have been on 15+ cruise(sorry I loose count) and half are booked as a guarantee, which BTW have always been balconies. We have never been dissatified but I am not picky about ship location. If you are booking guarantee expecting an upgrade in mind you will probably be disappointed. We have never been upgraded to a suite. There are those cruisers that have special things that they want regarding room location, such as mid-ship, near elevators, not under gym or discos, etc. If any of these things matter to you then you may want to reconsider booking a guarantee because you have no say in your cabin location. To me, as long as I am on the ship I'm happy. I prefer a balcony, but because the price was too good to pass up I have sailed outside cabin. Just my thoughts, hope this helps you and Happy Crusin'.:)

Oh, and I forgot to mention. We are booked on the Island Princess with a balcony guarantee for the Nov. 24th sailing. I too, like you could not pass up the price.:D

Thanks for your replies. I guess it is a gamble but why not. My TA says that half her clients do it this way. We are not fussy at all just happy to be on a ship. My brother in law and his wife are coming and they booked the same way. We are just so excited to be going together. Enjoy your cruise also.

Hi Carol P, this thread is about the Coral and thought you might like to look it over: http://messages.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=590061

We love the Coral - we were on her for Alaska, and are booked for the 10/31/07 partial transit of the Canal.

I've booked lots of guarantees and have sometimes received minor upgrades, but never been disappointed in a cabin. I never book a cabin that I couldn't live in. On one HAL cruise, we booked the only cabins offered (obstructed OV) and ended up with a full OV; on Princess we book balcony cabins, often guarantee, and end up with BC, BB cabins. The guarantees are usually BF or BG, and if you look at the deck plans you will see there are only about 4 of each, so you stand a very good chance of receiving a minor upgrade to a BD, BC, BB, BA. The B cabins are all the same inside, it's just the location that gives one a better class than another. I've never been upgraded out of my category to a mini or a suite, but I've read that it sometimes happens. Just don't hold your breath waiting for that major upgrade!

Another lover of the Coral. Have been on her twice through the canal and nexct year am doing a B2B2B on her in Alaska. Can't you tell I love that ship?:D

Marilyn

A guarantee cabin is usually offered at an attractive price, and can be a good deal, and you MIGHT get that free upgrade. However, you have to be sure that EVERY possible cabin in that category and any higher category is acceptable to you as you have no choice whatsoever. You might wind up far forward or far aft, down a long hallway, next to the elevator, over the disco, with an obstructed view, on the promenade deck where people can look in your window, or someplace else that costs more, but is not as desirable to you. If you have a specific desire, it is best to lock it in and have your TA mark it "do not upgrade."

We almost always book guarantee cabins, most of the time the least expensive OV. About 2/3 of the time we get some sort of upgrade, usually just to a higher deck in the same type of cabin, i.e. OV to OV. Sometimes we have been upgraded from obstructed view to OV. Once in a while we have gotten upgraded from OV to balcony. That is a treat! But you can't ever count on the upgrade. You have to be happy with whatever you get.

Have a GREAT cruise!

I always book a guarantee unless I am doing a b2b and want the same cabin for both legs. I have never been disappointed and have received some great upgrades and some not so great upgrades. You just have to be willing to accept what you get. On my last cruise I booked an OV guarantee and ended up in a balcony cabin. On next cruise to Hawaii I booked a BF guarantee and now have a BA on Caribe deck. Very happy about that one.

When I book a guarantee cabin, I book it at the minimum I am willing to accept. For example, I like to have a deck of cabins below me and and deck of cabins above me, so I will book a guarantee that will get me at least that.

Archived