Small Tour Group to China

ronbarb

My DH and I are interested in taking a tour to China in Oct 2008. We would like it to include Beijing, Xian, Tibet, and a Yangtze river cruise. We prefer a small tour group, no more than 20 people. We've looked at a number of different companies, but most of them don't tell the size of the tour group. We would appreciate any information from previous travellers. Thanks for your help.:)

For whatever help it may be, we went with Viking in Sept. 05 on the itinerary that you describe. Our departure was divided into two groups, each with their own guide who stayed with us throughout.

After the first evening in Beijing we would occasionally see the other group but they were scheduled to be at locations at times other than us. We did see them on our flights and, of course, on the ship for 4 days. Both groups were not more than 30 people each and we had buses large enough to accommodate 40 or more so it did not feel crowded. Our guide was excellent and had no problems with a flock of that size!

I prepared a journal of our trip with some photos that you may find of interest. It can be seen at http://www.travelblog.org/Bloggers/cmthomas/. For some reason that site presents the journal beginning with the latest entry first unless you click on the link next to "Read from the first entry" to start. If you haven't already discovered it, there is a wonderful collection of threads about Viking's China trips at http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=252201.

Whatever you decide I can assure you that it is THE trip of a lifetime and one that you are most likely to enjoy.

Clarence:)

To CMThomas,

Thank you so much for your reply. Viking is definitely on our list of possibilites- sounds just what we're looking for.

We thoroughly enjoyed reading your blog-makes me even more excited to see China! I know I'll be reading it again closer to our departure time.

Safe travels,

Barbara and Ron

We thought that everything from Viking was first class although we have nothing in the way of experience with other companies to draw a comparison.

There are not many tour companies that include Tibet in their itinerary and that portion of the trip was of major interest to us. Tibet is not an easy country to visit with the risks associated with the altitude, but standing before the Potala Palace makes it all worthwhile. I heard somewhere that they were going to stop the interior visits to the Palace but have been unable to confirm that anywhere online. I would suggest that you ask the providers with whom you speak if their tours include a visit inside the Palace. It is a steep hike, considering that you are already starting from 12,000' above sea level, but worth anything that it takes to get there. The view from on top in breathtaking (in more ways than one!).

Viking's ship is quite nice and their luncheon stop in the Lesser Three Gorges is just magnificent. Some of the other ships that we saw on the river looked quite old although we did not get to see the interiors. Since we went there have been several newer ships placed in river service with other companies.

Keep in mind that 2008 in the year of the summer Olympics in Beijing in July/August so you might want to make your decision early as there will be great interest in visiting China next year and there is only so much air transport and hotel space available. I would also recommend arriving a day early as the flight is grueling and it is so nice to be refreshed and relaxed when the tour starts. It is a very active tour keeping you busy from 8 a.m. to 10 p.m. and sometimes later. You will appreciate the rest time when you get to the ship! Until then you will want to take in all of the sites to be seen.

Clarence:)

Have you looked into OAT (Overseas Adventure Travel)? They list a trip to China that includes Tibet. OAT is a division of Grand Circle and limits groups to 10-24. I have not traveled with them but have friends who have and loved it.

Dorothy

I just returned from OAT's China and Tibet tour a month ago. It was wonderful! There were only 15 of us in the group. We got along so well that six of us are already booked for an Egypt tour with OAT, this coming January.

Tibet was definately the highlight for me. It's like no place I'd ever been before.

This tour is 22 days, and covers Beijing, Xian, four day Yangtze river cruise, Tibet, Changdu, and Hong Kong. Having such a small group made it possible to do many things that would be almost impossible in a larger group.

Some of the unusual experiences were an overnight sleeper train from Beijing to Xian and an overnight stay in a home in a farming village just outside of Xian, a home visits in the hutongs of Beijing, in Lhasa and with one of the relocated families along the Yangtze.

I would definately recommend OAT. This was my third trip with them, I did Peru and Galapagos last year, and Vietnam the year before. I have also done 7 trips with their sister company, Grand Circle, including two river cruises in Europe. I think both companies offer tremendous value for the money. You learn so much about the people and their way of life, beyond just scenery or buildings.

Thank you for the information on OAT. I had heard of Grand Circle, but not OAT. I went to their website and read even more information on them- definitely an option to consider.

So glad to hear that Tibet was a highlight of the trip. We're really excited about seeing the country.

Safe Travels,

Barbara and Ron:)

Hello Barbara and Ron,

My husband and I are like you two, in looking for a small tour group to see China. I debated among all the larger tour companies, such as Trafalgar, Uniworld, Viking, Brendan and others. I finally found a company called ChinaPlusTour, run by Chris and Ping Lee, a married couple who have immigrated here from China. Ping came about 30 years ago and Chris (her Husband) following later. They live in Texas. Each year one will stay stateside and the other will lead tours in China. They keep the groups to 20 or less people and use the best hotels and the Victoria Anna for the Yangtze cruise portion. I corresponded with a dozen or more people who had gone to China with Chris or Ping, and without exception they gave glowing reviews. Ping has been very responsive in answering my e-mails and phone calls....I usually get an e-mail response back with 10 or 15 minutes. One tour participant I found through TripAdvisor...he had requested information last year about the company, leaving his e-mail address. I wrote him to ask if he had ever gotten any responses. His first response to me is below:

"I never got any response from TripAdvisor! ChinaPlus sent me 40 email addresses as references. I sent notes to all of them. 35 responses were all very favorable.

But, you just happened to time your question very well. Two weeks ago, I returned from a trip to China using ChinaPlus. I could not have been happier with the company or the tour director or the trip. They get the highest possible marks from me. (No, I don't work for the company!!!!)

I would be happy to answer any specific questions you may have. But, I would also recommend you call ChinaPlus. It is a husband and wife operation - Chris & Ping Lee (they are the owners/operators). Chris was our tour director for the trip. I have had a number of conversations with Ping. They also respond to email - very quickly.

It was a lot of the little extras that made the trip stand out beyond the competitors."

He and his wife went on tour of China Highlights plus Tibet and his photos of Tibet were outstanding! Unfortunately, my husband and I can't take the time (or spend the money) at the present to see Tibet, but we will save that for another trip! Many people who responded to my request for information sent links to their photos. Everyone said it was a top notch tour for an excellent price. They do have a website and will quickly mail a brochure when requested.

Our trip will be leaving San Francisco on Sept. 17, 2007, so I will be sure to post my impressions of China and out cruise on the Victoria Anna when we return.

Janet

Hi Janet,

ChinaPlus sounds like the perfect tour company! After I read your reply, I immediately emailed them and am eagerly awaiting an answer.

Enjoy your trip (my husband has a personal interest since you will be departing on his birthday!). We look forward to hearing all the details when you get back.

Safe travels,

Barbara

You should also look into Pacific Delight Tours. My wife and I are taking the 19 day China - Tibet tour based on the recommendations of several people who have used PDT. It is the oldest US company operating in China and limits its groups to 20-24. You can check out reviews of the company on this website.:)

• 5 months later...

I am scheduled for an OAT tour to China and Tibet mid-April to early May. Can someone please help me figure out a wardrobe? I'm just not sure what to pack for that part of the world during the spring. And is OAT more casual than another type tour? Thanks for any help.

I am scheduled for an OAT tour to China and Tibet mid-April to early May. Can someone please help me figure out a wardrobe? I'm just not sure what to pack for that part of the world during the spring. And is OAT more casual than another type tour? Thanks for any help.

My DH and I are interested in taking a tour to China in Oct 2008. We would like it to include Beijing, Xian, Tibet, and a Yangtze river cruise. We prefer a small tour group, no more than 20 people. We've looked at a number of different companies, but most of them don't tell the size of the tour group. We would appreciate any information from previous travellers. Thanks for your help.:)

We are also going to China this October. We are going to Beijing, Xian, Tibet, Yangtze river cruise, Chengu, Guilin, and Shanghai. Our group is nice and small; just the two of us except for the cruise. For the cruise, we are on Yangzi Explorer which only holds 124 passengers.

We booked through Explorient (http://www.explorient.com). We found the total to be quite reasonable although it was a bit of a shock to see how much the addition of Tibet cost.

Marc

Archived