Why a set curfew for teens?

Not that I am planning to have my daughters out that late, but I wonder if the curfew supercedes the parent's right/abilty to supervise/entertain their children. Example....what if we're playing a game of Uno in a family member's cabin and it runs late? Our group will be spread out over at least 10 cabins next year and I'm sure that the cousins will want to play some games, since they don't have much time to see each other except at holidays. We will be in ajoining cabins and/or across the hall, so it isn't like anybody will be roaming about. I hadn't gotten to the point of wondering about details like the curfew, but hmmmmmmm, it is an interesting question.

I guess the question truly is "what exactly can't the kids do during the day that they can only do at night"? In my opinion, nothing. The only thing I can think of is dance. I'm sure the clubs for the teens close earlier than the curfew so..... I do not see a problem. The kids can socialize and mingle and swim...shop...probably even dance during the day and evening hours on a cruise ship..who knows.! lol...

Esmerelda

Let's see........in the evenings they can (instead of dancing)

• On ships where the suites have doorbells........they go up and down the halls and activate them.
  • They just love to take the room service breakfast menu's off the door handles.
  • Removing door decorations that have been paid for by pax when celebrating a birthday or are on a honeymoon.
  • Make a mess in public bathrooms that are not being used on different decks.

Doesn't look like anyone is going to get through to CScottRun as they will come up with some argument against any logical explanation anyone tries to give. Heaven knows why I'm bothering.

RCCL has rules, some by the way, CScott Run, for adults. And RCCL has every right and a responsibity as well, to have those rules, it's their "party".

Bottom line: If there's a curfew, live with it.

Not that I am planning to have my daughters out that late, but I wonder if the curfew supercedes the parent's right/abilty to supervise/entertain their children. Example....what if we're playing a game of Uno in a family member's cabin and it runs late? Our group will be spread out over at least 10 cabins next year and I'm sure that the cousins will want to play some games, since they don't have much time to see each other except at holidays. We will be in ajoining cabins and/or across the hall, so it isn't like anybody will be roaming about. I hadn't gotten to the point of wondering about details like the curfew, but hmmmmmmm, it is an interesting question.

Im pretty sure that if a minor is with an adult than the teen in question can stay out with the parents, even in the cabins its not like they have a list of what ages are in the cabins and knock on the door to make sure everyone under 18 is there, as long as the kids dont wreak havoc in the 30 seconds it'll take them to get back to the room they'll be fine and as long as there in A cabin they will be fine as well

Doesn't look like anyone is going to get through to CScottRun as they will come up with some argument against any logical explanation anyone tries to give. Heaven knows why I'm bothering.

RCCL has rules, some by the way, CScott Run, for adults. And RCCL has every right and a responsibity as well, to have those rules, it's their "party".

You seem to be one of the only people I have ever been able to sense anger and sarcasm in there comments on the internet. I asked a question and responded to comments. Nothing wrong with expressing my opinion. I understand your reasons, but I have my own arguments. I cant think of any rules off the top of my head that have the same restrictiveness that a curfew has for a teen.

Maybe there should be a curfew for adults as they cause many problems too?

Recently I believe its been more adults going overboard then teens. #1 cause being alcohol, maybe they should be paying more attention to the people buying alcohol on the ship and less trying to keep minors from causing trouble and getting alcohol. Believe me they will never be able to stop teens who want alcohol from getting it.

You seem to be one of the only people I have ever been able to sense anger and sarcasm in there comments on the internet. I asked a question and responded to comments. Nothing wrong with expressing my opinion. I understand your reasons, but I have my own arguments. I cant think of any rules off the top of my head that have the same restrictiveness that a curfew has for a teen.

Maybe there should be a curfew for adults as they cause many problems too?

Recently I believe its been more adults going overboard then teens. #1 cause being alcohol, maybe they should be paying more attention to the people buying alcohol on the ship and less trying to keep minors from causing trouble and getting alcohol. Believe me they will never be able to stop teens who want alcohol from getting it.

No sarcasim and certainly no anger, just stating a reality. Somehow, I think you just like to argue

Yep, there should be no curfew for YOU. YOU, with all of your wisdom and knowledge, should be allowed to do what YOU want to do, regardless of how we (who, by the way, were never young ourselves - we were born old) feel about it - up to, and including, your parents.

YOU are living in YOUR own little bubble right now.

This is a small town you will be on, and not the one you're used to. This town is full of strangers, not neighbors and lifelong friends - as good as the majority of these people are.

It's not like they're putting an 8 PM curfew on you. And, it is unfair to ask that the cruise lines have security so you can hang out all night.

Trust me when I say that your view will change in just a matter of years.

To add... you're teenagers. Not the most mature group around. Not a slam, but you are still in the process of becoming an adult.

I can understand the different views on curfew, but as long as MOST parents have some idea where their kids are and have them check in regularly most kids behave. My daughter was 12 last cruise and did fine -even staying out late in the teen room. She had rules and I am a very good SPY as well - which was actually alot of fun.... She will be 17 this cruise and I have no problem with her being out late as she is very responsible. Just make them very aware of what dangers there may be out there as well as giving them guidelines. If they want to be out after 12 have them hook up with an parent or relative. It is a shame that a few bad teens can ruin it for those that are the good apples!!!!! And after one or two nights and grumpiness on excursions they will be tired anyway. :) And I have seen an equal amount of misbehaving adults as teens.

I am 18 years old and don't plan to be out at one in the morning.

I see why the curfew is in place for teenagers. If you have such a big problem with the curfew then go on a cruise where there isn't one.

Personally I would not feel safe at all being out that late at night on a ship.

I haven't hung out with any other people my age on cruises because frankly, most of the ones that I've seen go around in groups and cause trouble.

Maybe if the "good" teens (which apparently are the majority on cruises according to some on these boards) would tell their peers that if most of them behaved, there wouldn't be any need for such an "early" curfew. A lot of teenagers seem to give in to peer pressure.

I am 18 years old and don't plan to be out at one in the morning.

I see why the curfew is in place for teenagers. If you have such a big problem with the curfew then go on a cruise where there isn't one.

Personally I would not feel safe at all being out that late at night on a ship.

I haven't hung out with any other people my age on cruises because frankly, most of the ones that I've seen go around in groups and cause trouble.

Maybe if the "good" teens (which apparently are the majority on cruises according to some on these boards) would tell their peers that if most of them behaved, there wouldn't be any need for such an "early" curfew. A lot of teenagers seem to give in to peer pressure.

Amen, loved your answer and you are so right. No one has to get on the ship if they don't like the rules and I can't imagine, no matter how trust worthy you think your little angels are.....that in a strange surrounding....you would not expect them to be in the cabin at a certain time of night...for their own safety. If the kid has a problem with that, save some money and leave them home. Quit letting the kid run the show. Most kids would consider themselves lucky to be on the ship, period, if thats not the case then you have a spoiled brat.

I can see the 1am curfew for children 14 and under. But to go as far as stating that the ship shouldn't have security out at night is sort of crazy. Security shouldn't be there just for teens. Security should be visible all night long to keep everyone safe or in line as some of you seem to feel that only teens ring doorbells, take menus off the door handles etc which is totally not true as we watched some guy around 40 walking down the hall taking every menu he found off the cabin doors. He thought it was ~funny~ to put it in his drunken words.

We don't have set curfews for our teens. It goes by what they are doing. It has nothing to do with the time on the clock.

This is one of the main reasons we sailed other lines as my children became teens. If my kid wants to go get pizza at 1:30am with some friends, as far as I am concerned, he/she should be able to. And sit down and eat it, yes on the public deck.

We are sailing again on rccl after my youngest turns 18 just so I don't have to deal with that kind of nonsense on vacation. The shame of it all is I am not allowing her to bring her best friend because of their curfew policy. I just am not going to deal with security insisting her 17 yr old friend can't be getting pizza or whatever down in the cafe because it's 1:30am. Meanhwhile it would've meant 3 cabins instead of 2, so I save money ;) But I think it is a ridiculous policy.

I can see the 1am curfew for children 14 and under. But to go as far as stating that the ship shouldn't have security out at night is sort of crazy. Security shouldn't be there just for teens. Security should be visible all night long to keep everyone safe or in line as some of you seem to feel that only teens ring doorbells, take menus off the door handles etc which is totally not true as we watched some guy around 40 walking down the hall taking every menu he found off the cabin doors. He thought it was ~funny~ to put it in his drunken words.

We don't have set curfews for our teens. It goes by what they are doing. It has nothing to do with the time on the clock.

This is one of the main reasons we sailed other lines as my children became teens. If my kid wants to go get pizza at 1:30am with some friends, as far as I am concerned, he/she should be able to. And sit down and eat it, yes on the public deck.

We are sailing again on rccl after my youngest turns 18 just so I don't have to deal with that kind of nonsense on vacation. The shame of it all is I am not allowing her to bring her best friend because of their curfew policy. I just am not going to deal with security insisting her 17 yr old friend can't be getting pizza or whatever down in the cafe because it's 1:30am. Meanhwhile it would've meant 3 cabins instead of 2, so I save money ;) But I think it is a ridiculous policy.

Simple solution...call room service if the darlings are hungry at 1:30 AM.

Whatever has happened to common sense?

Has it occured to anyone that maybe having teens on their own because they are so responsible has caused a few problems.

One would be: Teens now feel that any language they decide to use is acceptible. Inculding at the poolbar while they are just hanging out with their new friends. Including, all lounge chairs after hours while it might be nice to take a stroll on the deck before going to bed.

Language is acceptible, unless maybe it affects other people.

Has it never crossed teens minds that when they get together with other teens that their foul language might be offensive to others. I'm guessing not because it just keeps happening on cruises year after year.

Get a grip, respond positive, and keep your teens away from us. Good heavens, your teens should be in bed, on the way to an adventure tomorrow instead of of worrying about us.

I'm guessing teens will do what they do no matter how many complaints there are. Just be greateful that the cruiselines do their dutie.

Its funny though, because as paying customers, we have a curfew of 1am. I think that is a bit ridiculous. I go to bed at home on some nights at 1am!! Its vacation, we should be free to do what we want. I will be turning 18 at the end of November but will be in college in New York City, living on campus. If I go on a cruise before my birthday, I think its pretty pathetic that they would make a college student go to bed at 1am. Just think about that!!!! I'm not trying to start anything, I just think that it is so unbelievably unfair!!!

I was just on the Explorer for nine nights as a graduation present from high school. Every night at 1 (sometimes even earlier), I would get yelled at by the security guards telling me to go back to my cabin. Sometimes they would come in packs and surround me when all I was doing was enjoying some pizza in the cafe promenade or laying out on a deck chair talking quietly with other teens.

I know there will always be the close-minded people that think all teens are grouped into one category... the teens that push all of the buttons, scream, get drunk, and play knock and run. Thats not all of us!! Give us a chance!! It really is VERY frustrating!!

Wow, thanks for letting me vent.

Thanks for your report and I applaud to RCCL / the Explorer crew to finally step up to the plate and obviously doing a good job in enforcing the rules.

icon14.gificon14.gificon14.gificon14.gificon14.gif Five thumbs up from me.

I think some things are ridiculous :rolleyes: but not this policy that protects children even if their parents won't.

I never thought I'd say this but I don't think there should be a curfew. I don't have kiddos, and I don't appreciate those belonging to others on a cruise, but, the cruise is a 24 hour vacation destination. This is supposed to be the parents "quality time" with their kiddos.

If the parents do not set their own rules for their kiddos, and they get into trouble, then the kiddos and parents get put off the ship at the next port. That will get their attention.

Personal choice and actions have consequences.

Its funny though, because as paying customers, we have a curfew of 1am. I think that is a bit ridiculous. I go to bed at home on some nights at 1am!! Its vacation, we should be free to do what we want. I will be turning 18 at the end of November but will be in college in New York City, living on campus. If I go on a cruise before my birthday, I think its pretty pathetic that they would make a college student go to bed at 1am. Just think about that!!!! I'm not trying to start anything, I just think that it is so unbelievably unfair!!!

I was just on the Explorer for nine nights as a graduation present from high school. Every night at 1 (sometimes even earlier), I would get yelled at by the security guards telling me to go back to my cabin. Sometimes they would come in packs and surround me when all I was doing was enjoying some pizza in the cafe promenade or laying out on a deck chair talking quietly with other teens.

I know there will always be the close-minded people that think all teens are grouped into one category... the teens that push all of the buttons, scream, get drunk, and play knock and run. Thats not all of us!! Give us a chance!! It really is VERY frustrating!!

Wow, thanks for letting me vent.

If you're living in student housing you will most likley be required to observe quiet hours after 11PM on week nights, 1AM on weekends, and 24 hrs/day during exam periods. Agree with them or not, every place has rules that they believe are in the best interests of the group as a whole. One sign of maturity is acceptance of that fact.

PS - If you think the ship is bad, try going to Las Vegas. The curfew there for anyone under 18 is 10PM on week nights and midnight on weekends (and, yes, they enforce it).

I never thought I'd say this but I don't think there should be a curfew. I don't have kiddos, and I don't appreciate those belonging to others on a cruise, but, the cruise is a 24 hour vacation destination. This is supposed to be the parents "quality time" with their kiddos.

If the parents do not set their own rules for their kiddos, and they get into trouble, then the kiddos and parents get put off the ship at the next port. That will get their attention.

Personal choice and actions have consequences.

There is no curfew for kiddos who are with their parents getting some of that "quality time".

the curfew states that it is for kids in unsupervised activities---they can be out with their parents --or in an organized ships activity----its just a curfew for unsupervised kids--not a total ban after 1am

Paul

Have I ever been next to a cabin of drunken teens yelling and carrying on at 3 a.m.? Nope. Have I ever been next to a cabin of adults going in and out at all hours and yelling and carrying on at 3 a.m.? YES! Just because you have been next to one cabin that was occupied by a bunch of irresponsible teens does not mean that we are all like that!!! Do you see me placing all adults in the same category just because I was next to a bunch of yelling adults? NO!

Your earlier post describes the reason for a curfew. You say that teens need extra time to meet new friends they have met on a cruise. "Meeting new friends" has been the problem in past cruises. Teens tend to travel in packs "of new friends". The pack mentality sets in, and suddenly all hell breaks loose because of the numbers of "new friends". In large numbers there is a perception of anonymity. Kids will do things they would never do individually. I have even seen this happen with pre-teens who become complete idiots when they are in a large, unsupervised group.

Sorry 04, a curfew is needed for under 18 cruisers whose parents don't do their jobs. It is necessary to protect the teens, the ship and the other paying customers.

JMHO

LL

Archived