Now Onboard Grandeur 7/13 9N Eastern

Hi J!

I'm in Morgantown too. I just returned from this cruise on Sunday.

You'll have a new captain for your cruise. I hope you post about your experiences, so we can see if things have changed in Samana by then.

Cathy

Hi Cathy-

It's a small world! I shall be happy to post after our cruise to let everyone know how things are in Samana.

Do you know of anyone who did the zip line in Labadee? my husband, son and his girlfriend are interested. I prefer to float on the water and partake of the buffet!:)

Was this your first cruise out of Baltimore? We have been to Bermuda twice on the Grandeur. It is SO great to avoid the airport.

J in Morgantown, WV

Hi Cathy-

Was this your first cruise out of Baltimore? We have been to Bermuda twice on the Grandeur. It is SO great to avoid the airport.

J in Morgantown, WV

I don't know anyone who took the zip line, but the beach chair I chose was facing it, so I watched people come across the water. They took 5 at a time. It wasn't in use the whole time, so not too busy.

This wasn't my first cruise to Baltimore, although the other times they were repositioning cruises, so I had a flight either coming or going. My hubby drove me to the port this time, but I had no one to pick me up, so ended up flying home. I agree it's a very convenient port, and I do love the Grandeur. Of course, it's the only RCCL ship I've taken because it IS so convenient, so I have nothing to compare it to. LOL

I believe the cab ride to Magen's Bay was $8 per person. The entry fee is $4 pp. Beach lounge rental was $6 per chair with a $5 deposit which is refunded when you turn in your chair prior to departure. It was less expensive for us than the excursion and we got to stay longer, so it was well worth the money spent.

Cathy - I saw in your review that you were in 3066. We were in 3072 and must have at least passed you in the hall!

I still can't believe that people are complaining about Cayo Laventado.

I My family and I absolutely loved it. OK the food was not that great.

Just don't do lunch. You are only there for a few hours anyways.

I did not think it was excessively hot anywhere we went the whole cruise week. I have been to Cozumel in the summer months before. Now that was hot. I don't understand the post about the quality of the beach either.

Labadee is much bettor but Cayo was good to. I had a blast meeting people

at the little beach bar just twenty steps away from our beach spot.

I would go back to Cayo in a heartbeat. Just book the excursion online a couple of months before you leave to get an early tender ride.

I appreciate all the comments on the Grandeur and your cruise. While we are doing Canada/NE in September, the reports on the Grandeur and the boarding process have been quite helpful.........thanks for the info on the Windjammer.

We also have the Grandeur booked for a Halloween 11 night cruise in October of 08 with a stop in Samana.........I appreciate those comments as well..........confused about the port reviews but appreciate them all.

Cathy - I saw in your review that you were in 3066. We were in 3072 and must have at least passed you in the hall!

Hi. I'm not sure if you have me confused with someone else. I was in 7643, a room directly above the South Pacific Lounge. I'll know in the future that I can hear the music from the lounge through the floor. I wasn't paying attention when I booked. LOL

Well I finally got a chance to upload some pictures from our 7/13 cruise.

Here is a link to an album of pics from Samana and Cayo Laventado.

I will slowly and eventually get all my pics from this cruise uploaded.

RS

Great Pics, Rodney. . . They are beautiful. I would love to go there one day. It didnt look like that it was very crowded !

Thanks for posting.

Radio

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Nice pictures Rodney thanks for posting them. We will be there in October of next year on the Grandeur. We look forward to it.

Really didn't look like there were many people there at all.

Jim

Thanks for the comments,

We where on one of the first tenders to arrive at Cayo.

It did fill up a bit as the day went on. Still never really felt crowded.

If you go make sure you get up early to watch the approach.

The ship will travel real close to Cayo as it enters Samana.

With the early morning light you can get great pictures.

RS

My husband and I did the zip line along with out 58 and 17 yr old friends (whom we met onboard). It was, by far, the greatest thing we ever chose to do on our cruises!

It cost $65.00 per person. You get the safety speech first, then walk up to a mini zip line to practice the different positions (diff. positions make you go diff. speeds). Then you board a jeep (try you hardest to sit to the left of the jeep so you can enjoy the scenery on your way to the top of the mountain). Once at the top of the mountain you wait your turn to zip down the line from 2300 ft high.

It was def. very scary for many people there, although everyone zipped down...from a kid who was maybe 12 all the way to the 58 yr old we were with.

I have amazing pictures if anyone is interested....that reminds me, they only allow you to take your camera with you if it has a wrist string. The girl we went down with actually took video the whole way down.

Archived