Getting to Mendenhall Glacier

Brewhaha

I am cruising with a large group (12) and we want to get to the glacier. What is the cheapest and easiest way to get there? Can we organize local transportation on the dock? Do we have to go through the cruiseline? For that matter, at any dock can I get off the ship and find lots of excursions available privately right there on the dock?

Brewhaha, I can't remember if any private tour operators were on the pier. I am sure others who have been there recently can let you know.

However, for every port we visit I google "the name of the port.. private tour". You will likely get some hits and go from there. You can also go to the Ports section of cruise critic and search Mendenhall. Probably get lots there.

We took a local bus and it stopped where you could get off and walk to the glacier - don't know how far though but several people did get off to go to the glacier. The bus was $2 and made a circuit first of one end of town and then the other. It stops right by the pier.

There were local tours offered at the pier too - think they were about $25. The bus also stops at totem park

There are numerous local tour companies that make round trips to the Glacier - $5 each way ($10) - They're found at the Main Pier area.

Beats the $25/pp that the ship charges!

Lots of local tours available at the dock, but might be better to reserve ahead if you have a large group so you can be sure of getting what you want.

If all you want is transport to Mendenhall, there is a tourist bus (not the local city bus) that goes right from the cruise ship dock nonstop to the Mendenhall visitor center parking lot. Stay at Mendenhall as long as you like (bearing your sailaway time in mind, of course), then take the bus back. Easy, very reasonably priced, and better than a tour IMHO because you can stay long enough to see the glacier at your own pace and even take a hike, weather permitting.

When I did this two years ago it was a big blue schoolbus and it cost $5 - I think that was round trip, but even if it was one way it was still a good deal. I do recommend checking the Alaska ports of call board for more recent information.

Off the ship and right at the pier, we took the Blue Bus out to Mendenhall Glacier - last year it was $5 per person each way. And it takes you right to the area. It costs $3 per person to get in to the building. We were also able to spend as much time there as we wanted and walk as many trails as we wanted. That bus runs about every half hour. The local city bus costs $2 each way but drops you off quite a distance from the area - not recommended for anyone who can't walk long distance.

And we saw several bears last year.

Off the ship and right at the pier, we took the Blue Bus out to Mendenhall Glacier - last year it was $5 per person each way. And it takes you right to the area. It costs $3 per person to get in to the building. We were also able to spend as much time there as we wanted and walk as many trails as we wanted. That bus runs about every half hour. The local city bus costs $2 each way but drops you off quite a distance from the area - not recommended for anyone who can't walk long distance.

And we saw several bears last year.

We did the same this past May and the cost was $5.00

By the way, here is a link to inf about the Sitka Historical Park ( assumes your ship makes a port call in Sitka). There is an organized tour but it is something you can easily do on your own. The park is a short walk from the pier and is chock full of totem poles. It's very pretty and the price is right.

http://www.nps.gov/sitk/

Archived