Barenaked Ladies

dr.evil

Do I have your attention now?

I just thought I would mention a theme cruise I've been on previously.

The band Barenaked Ladies hosted their first annual "Ships and Dip I" cruise last year on board the Carnival Legend. This is a chartered cruise filled with Barenaked Ladies fans.

Mrs. Evil and I were on board the inaugural cruise and will be on the next cruise in January. Ships and Dip III departs Miami on January 27, 2008 to February 1, 2008 on board the Carnival Victory.

The Barenaked Ladies announced on "Ships and Dip I" that they were skipping to "Ships and Dip III" this year because they did not believe "Ships and Dip II" could live up to "Ships and Dip I". Barenaked Ladies logic.

The last cruise was one of the most fun vacations we have ever experienced. If you are a fan of live music (especially Barenaked Ladies), cruise ships and exotic locations, I think you would enjoy this cruise.

There are several other bands invited on board the ship by the Barenaked Ladies. It is non-stop music from around 12 PM until 3 AM (if you can stay up that late.)

Here are some links to the cruise.

Ships and Dip home:

http://www.shipsanddip.com/

Barenaked Ladies home:

http://www.bnlmusic.com/

Youtube videos from last cruise:

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=ships+and+dip

If anyone has any questions about the previous cruise or the upcoming cruise, I would be happy to answer them.

If you do decide to sign up for this cruise, please email me or leave me a message on this thread before you do. If you reference me, I get onboard credit I will use for free drinks. I will share.

Dr. Evil :)

(Chris)

rcwood@sbcglobal.net

sondrad,

Yes they are. The entire cruise.

Last cruise, the band sat patiently for four hours while they took a photo with each group of people as they embarked on the ship.

BNL then played two concerts on the Lido deck on our sailaway from Fort Lauderdale and Grand Turk (last years cruise was a four day from Fort Lauderdale to Grand Turk and back.) Check out the youtube links for some video of that.

BNL also played two main shows in the large amphitheater. There were lots of side projects also. Steve did his Vanity Project songs. Kevin's band Thinbuckle played. Jim and Andy Creegann played as Brothers Creegann and Andy played with BNL again (a highlight for me since I started following the band after Andy left.)

Guster was the featured guest of the Barenaked Ladies. They are good friends with the guys and have opened for BNL many times. If your not familar with them they are four guys (three met in college in Boston and Joe joined the group recently.) They are just as good as BNL. Guster played twice in the amphitheater and once on the lido deck.

Tyler played drums with Brother Creegan (another highlight) and various members of each band played with Joe Pisapia from Guster.

Andy and Jim Creegan's wives played with them on the main stage one night. Kevin's cousin Harland Williams and Shaun Cullen from Corky and the Juicepigs did lots of stand-up comedy.

There was a bluegrass band called Oakhurst that roamed around the ship and played everywhere including the elevators.

There was so much music, it was very difficult deciding who to see and who to miss and I was exhausted by the end of each night. But it was a good kind of exhausted.

Each night there was a jam session on the Lido deck until 3 AM.

Ed was all over the ship as the "unofficial" cruise director. He had a "Guitar Hero" contest with the passengers that was very popular. Steve hosted a wine tasting and educational seminar.

There was lots more. If you have any more questions, please ask. I'll try and answer them.

P.S. Don't forget to email me if you decide to go so you can reference me and I can share my free drinks. :)

Very cool! I hope Jan. 27 - Feb. 1 can work for you.

It really was one of the most fun things we've ever done.

The cruise leaves from Miami this year. It is a five-day cruise and has two stops; Jamaica and Grand Cayman.

I read a post from our host Caroline about links. I'm sorry if I linked something I should not have. Please feel free to remove the one link if you would like.

If anyone needs the link for Ships and Dip III I would be happy to email the link to you.

• 1 month later...

I just found out that the Miami Marathon is on January 27, 2008. This is the same day the Barenaked Ladies cruise on the Carnival Victory leaves the Port of Miami.

If anyone else is leaving or returning to Miami on that date be ready for street closures and traffic.

The marathon starts at 6:15 AM and most runners should be done by noon.

Any questions about the Barenaked Ladies cruise?

• 2 months later...

I just found out about the Bare Naked Ladies cruise on 1/27... and I just booked on the Carnival Freedom on 1/26.

At first I was waaaay disappointed, but then I looked at the pricing and figured I can't do it this year anyways. BUT I shall save my pennies and keep an eye open for this one in the future. I hope they do a IV (or V, lol).

I saw the BNL a few months ago here in Vancouver, so of course I'd love more... I am turning green :D with envy, I hope you have a marvelous time, and do share stories and pics, please!

99girl,

Sorry you can't make it this year. The tour operators, Sixthman, have added some more great bands to the lineup. Carbon Leaf and Great Big Sea are also on board now.

Are you sure you can't talk Carnival into switching your reservations for you?

If not, we hope to see you next year on Ships and Dip IV!

ah, Dr. Evil, if only I could afford one of the remaining cabins, then it would be worth exploring.

I'm in one of those magic 1A cabins with a porthole, which the Sixthman group isn't offering (I guess they gave them to the roadies) and I'm at my budget limit for this year.

Next year, next year......

have fun!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Oh, I am sooooo jealous! DH and I saw BNL in Phoenix a few years ago and fell in love! I was deployed to Iraq for Ships and Dips I, and we had already booked a B2B2B on the Imagination when we heard about this one. :( By the time I found Ships and Dips III on-line, it was too late to change flights etc. Sigh. I will just pray they do this again next year...I hope you all have a fantastic time!

We haven't left just yet... we set sail a week from today! *squee*

:D

I see you are from Rochester NY. A friend of mine is going on this cruise.Her and I live near Ithaca NY.She also went last time and is rooming with some women she met on the last cruise.I told her I wanted to see the photo of everyone up on the top deck.Looks like a fun cruise.

• 2 weeks later...

It. Was. AWESOME!!!!!!!!

Here's a link to my pics... apologies in advance for any "language" and PG-rated photos:

http://suebeedesigns.com/bnlmusic/shipsndip3/

I don't know what else to add... they ARE doing it again, and calling it Ships & Dip V. I guess we're only doing odd numbers! LOL! No dates just yet, nor information about ship and itinerary, but to be honest, when you're on freakin' vacation with Barenaked Ladies, destination and means of conveyance are secondary. LOL!

All we know right now is that it'll be the Caribbean again, and will be around the same time of year. :)

The two main concert venues on Victory (Lido Deck, on a set-up stage, and the Caribbean Lounge) were MUCH better than the Legend, but the smaller venues were inferior for this type of cruise (read: floating music festival). The Adriatic Lounge didn't have great sight-lines, and the wait staff was super-intrusive. The Black & Red Seas lounge was just simply too small. The Atrium was fun, though the lighting was bad at night for pictures. The bands performing there kept likening it to "Mall Rock," and making Tiffany jokes. :D

The Naked Photo was nothing short of awesome. One of the best Ships & Dip traditions EVER. Last year we had about 600 people, this year it was almost 1,000!

Keep your schedules open for S&DV!!! You don't want to miss it!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

We are sailing on the Imagination on the 26th Jan out of Miami I wish I had known about this cruise earlier!!

I have seen them live in Manchester England and they are fantastic...I play their cd all the time!!

I am sure that anybody that go's on the BNL cruise will have a great time.

Jean

• 1 month later...
guster is one of my fave bands. how were they?

They're always awesome. :D

This time, though, Brian (the drummer) stayed home because his wife was close to giving birth (they had a girl, Feb 6, btw, just 5 days after we got off the ship!), so Tyler from BNL filled in. He was no Thundergod, but it was an experience of a lifetime! ;)

Ships & Dip V information is starting to trickle out... Sixthman is playing with us a little, and dishing out clues instead of just laying it all out. LOL! What we know so far:

1. Feb 1 - 9, 2009, out of Miami

2. New Cruise Line! We're switching to Norwegian (no ship announced yet, but the peanut gallery is guessing the Jewel)

3. One of the Port stops is Great Stirrup Cay (NCL's private island), and the other stop is TBA.

That's all for now! ;)

• 1 month later...

The latest update is a presale date of June 4, 2008 for previous cruisers and open to the public shortly after that (not sure on that date.)

The cruise is out of Miami. The dates are Feb. 1-6, 2009.

I know I'm not supposed to post links here but if you google Shipsanddip (the name of the cruise) you will find the appropriate link.

If you are a music fan, this is one of the most fun cruises you will ever take.

Archived