2008 Cruise

Shore Man

Wow, my first post. Isn't this exciting? I better make it memorable (I'm failing so far, right?). First, I'm really happy that I found this site - lots of great information, especially the thread on Carnival Secrets. Great stuff and I'm only on page 58. I would've finished it already if my boss didn't keep giving me assignments. Sheesh, doesn't he know I'm trying to book a cruise? Silly boss. Which brings me to my questions:

1) When would be a good time of year to book a Caribbean cruise? Hurricanes eliminate July/Aug/Sept. Spring break eliminates Feb / Mar. How about early May? Is there anything going on at that time that I should know about?

2) Does a cruise out of the east coast of Florida to the eastern Caribbean have a bumpier ride than a cruise out of Tampa to the western Caribbean (susceptible to motion sickness)?

Great, my boss is going to lunch - now I can get some serious reading done.:)

Welcome! A bumpy ride? That is all dependent on the weather, nothing to do with where you leave from. As far as time of year we've done May, October, January, September, and have great cruises every time. But hurricane's do happen so you have to be prepared for diversions. We book when the price is right and that's it. Our next one is in February. The weather in the Caribbean is pretty much always the same, although much hotter in July and August. Whatever you pick, you'll become addicted so beware :D

Wow, my first post. Isn't this exciting? I better make it memorable (I'm failing so far, right?). First, I'm really happy that I found this site - lots of great information, especially the thread on Carnival Secrets. Great stuff and I'm only on page 58. I would've finished it already if my boss didn't keep giving me assignments. Sheesh, doesn't he know I'm trying to book a cruise? Silly boss. Which brings me to my questions:

1) When would be a good time of year to book a Caribbean cruise? Hurricanes eliminate July/Aug/Sept. Spring break eliminates Feb / Mar. How about early May? Is there anything going on at that time that I should know about?

2) Does a cruise out of the east coast of Florida to the eastern Caribbean have a bumpier ride than a cruise out of Tampa to the western Caribbean (susceptible to motion sickness)?

Great, my boss is going to lunch - now I can get some serious reading done.:)

Welcome! We have booked a few Caribbean cruises in May and have had wonderful weather. Our anniversary is in May so it seems like we usually cruise in May. Just did the Destiny in June and had good weather but it was very humid in San Juan.

As far as the water being bumpier I don't remember there being a difference in the two itineraries.

I've done one in January, one in April (NEVER again since the kids were on spring break with Easter being late that year) and one in May. Next one is booked in February. I liked going in May, but am looking forward to getting out of the midwest in February to head of to the sunny Caribbean. We got a GREAT deal so we couldn't pass it up. I think as long as you stay away from March/April (spring break); September/October (hurricanes) you'll be fine.

I've done both an Eastern and a Western and am also prone to motion sickness, but neither one of them bothered me too much. Good luck planning...and they are right...you will become addicted :-)

near Pensacola, now...I only cruies from Fla, lately Mobile, but past Jan, Miami. I choose fall, winter,and early spring but not around any holidays..spring break, or those 3 day Mon holidays..always 1/ 2 wks b4, or just after. I am very flex. I look at pricing, as I go solo, and have to pay sing/supp. So with that, and being able to drive to Mobile, I decide my dates well ahead....But I could do Tampa, as Mom lives in Clwtr. You might find a back to back cruise is le$$ that a 10/12 day.some have diff iten, some dont. If that is your main concern..do a single. I break it down, incld'g all chgs, and divide by # of days. ie: a 4 day is more pre day, than a 5 day. Weekends are more popular. I do the 2, 5 days..one is a Sat dep, one is a Mon. with Cozumel on both, and PDC, or CM on the other. These are some thoughts you might concider while shopping..I noticed this morning 2 of my 11 already booked dates are now less..not less than when I booked in March, but on the down slide in price. I keep a record on a big calender..I keep a popular website TA in my faves/bookmarks..and watch..contact TA when they gol lower. I always get an OBC or upgrade. The priceing scheme is all about supply and demand..also 60 days out is xl policy for 100% refund for folks. It is a science. Good hunting..that's why I'm..."lucky"...and...Welcome to cruising, and CC boards

Hi Shore Man. Welcome to your new lifelong obsession.

I agree with what sjohnson529 said. I've cruised in August, October and February, and they were all great. I've avoided Spring Break, but haven't tried late Spring. I'd suggest going to the reviews section and reading some reviews about the time of year you're considering. You might get some clues from them. I believe you can find some of the best deals on October/November and January/February cruises.

As far as I remember, Eastern and Western itineraries to be pretty similar as far as weather is concerned. All of my cruises have been out of Port Canaveral and Miami, and we generally have very smooth rides, though there are times when there is more motion than usual due to storms, etc. Motion sickness is pretty rare on such large ships, but some people do use the patch or Bonine. I've heard that ginger works well too. I've found that the normal motion of the ship is very pleasant and helps me sleep really well. Some people also advise getting a cabin near the center of the ship and on a lower deck to have the least movement.

Jeff

If you live in Tampa (ie within easy driving distance of cruise ports) I wouldn't write off hurricane season. September appears to be the very cheapest month of the year in which to cruise. Remember, even during very active seasons the chance of your particular sailing being affected is slim. And since you don't have to fly in and deal with the hassle of changing air reservations, your absolute worst case scenario is a cruise that is lengthened or shortened by a day or two. If it's lengthened, you get an extra day for nothing, and if it's shortened you are refunded the remainder of your cruise fare and given discounts on future cruises.

We cruised in September of '05, the busiest Atlantic hurricane season ever recorded, and had beautiful weather the entire time.

I wouldn't write off hurricane season. We cruised in September of '05, the busiest Atlantic hurricane season ever recorded, and had beautiful weather the entire time.

Hmmm - good point. We're going to do the May timeframe as this will be an anniversary present to ourselves. However, we will consider hurricane season for any future cruises we may go on, especially if they are cheaper.

Thanks for all the feedback!!!!

.....this year and yeah, it was a lot cheaper, $500 per person than two weeks earlier. I figured cruise ships can normally out run storms so missing a port, shorter or longer cruise, is no big deal, my son will still have a great time. Before he went on his first cruise last year he wanted to see Poseidon so he would know what to do in the case of a tsunami. :D

Kids, you gotta love em!

We have gone at different times of the year and prefer to go in April or May as the weather is not extremely hot yet and hurricane season hasn't started yet. Just be wary of what date Easter falls on and Spring Break as the boat will be loaded with little kids and college kids. Being from New Orleans, we like to party so the college kids don't bother us that much but the little ones usually crowd up the pools and hot tubs on the lido deck. You will love cruising and this website is an amazing point of reference to find out anything you want to know. Have a great time.

I've always done cruises in Sept and Oct. I'm know its the end of hurricane season, but we've never had a problem. Keep in mind, cruise ships can see hurricanes coming several days in advance and avoid them. Worst case is that on of your ports is canceled or you disembark at a different port.

You can also find good rates on cruises between spring break and summer.

Archived