Eastern or Western with 10 yr old?

I am taking my nephew on a cruise for his 10th b-day. We are going to book the Mariner since they have all the things he will love.

Since they do both eastern and western itinerary, which has better stops for kids? Eastern does San Juan, St. Marrten, and St. Thomas. Western does Labadee, Jamaica, Cozumel, and Grand Cayman.

This is all about him! He is really active and loves anything with wheels. It will be just the two of us. I would go Eastern for myself, but don't know about him?

If I were taking my nephew on a cruise, I would choose Western.

For just my wife and I, definitely Eastern.

Based on what I've heard, Eastern is more laid back and an older crowd. Haven't been to either (YET) but there's my 2 cents.

Happy cruising!!!!

We've done both the Eastern and the Western with our kids (ages 8 and 12). I think my 12 year old son would say he liked the Western better (we did the Mariner this past March). That being said, we had a great time on our Eastern cruise as well on the Jewel the March before last which was our kids first.

Labadee is great, you can do Dunn's River Falls in Ocho Rios, you can do StingRay city in Grand Cayman, and there are great things to do on Cozumel. My wife and son did the Tulum tour which my son actually loved. My 8 year old daughter and I stayed behind as I knew she wouldn't like the trip there and back. But my son loved the ruins.

The Mariner is a great ship.

If you like the active excursions then the Western CAribbean seems to have more to appeal,specially to his age group. The Royal Swim with dolphins at Chankanaab Park at Cozumel is unforgettable -have a look at www.dolphindiscovery.com we booked direct with them and it was cheaper that way.

Dunn's River Falls is also a fun day,climbing up a waterfall,getting soaking wet sounds like it might be his idea of fun too.

If you have a day on Labadee then possibly the JetSki tour around the island- it takes about an hour and great fun.

There are great things to do on either western or eastern. We have 2 kids that travel with us who are now 10 and 12. When we did Mariner in Oct we did western. We hired Trevor Huglin in Jamaica for a great tour or the city, which the kids LOVED> He made it so much fun. Then we went tubing and then to a beach. I thought the kids were still a bit young for the falls and saving that for our next western. Then in COzumel you do a beach. Then is Grand Cayman you can do stingray thing if that is your thing. If not, there is still plenty to do there. As far as eastern, I love Labadee and am surprised that on western you are not stopping there. In St Maarten there is so much to do. You can do ziplining tour in Loterie farms( with the ship excursion), you can do rhino riders (can be done independently fromt he ship excursion), you can do Lord SHefield pirate boat(also on your own). I can go back to each island over and over without running out of things to do. AS for picking, I would go with which fits better into your schedule. Mariner is fantastic( will be on her for our third time next OCt). Whichever you go on you will have a great time with your nephew. What a great aunt you are!

If you like the active excursions then the Western CAribbean seems to have more to appeal,specially to his age group. The Royal Swim with dolphins at Chankanaab Park at Cozumel is unforgettable -have a look at www.dolphindiscovery.com we booked direct with them and it was cheaper that way.

Dunn's River Falls is also a fun day,climbing up a waterfall,getting soaking wet sounds like it might be his idea of fun too.

If you have a day on Labadee then possibly the JetSki tour around the island- it takes about an hour and great fun.

I checked out the Royal swim on their website at the dolphin encounter and it looks awesome. Since you booked direct how much was your transportation to the park. Also, I assume you made it back to ship with plenty of time to spare- that is always a worry of mine when not booking directly through the ship.

We did the Western on Carnival, my kids LOVED it.

Couzumel was their favorite port by far. We snorkeled with ERD then went to Paradise Beach for the rest of the day. I think they would have liked it if the ship just stayed in Cozumel so they could keep going back to Paradise Beach.

We went swimming with the sting rays in Grand Cayman. My 12 yo had no probelm, by the 9yos took some time to get use to the rays. They got in the water right away, the quickly got out. By the time they got up enough courage to get back in the water we only had about 10 minutes left.

We are trying Eastern next year.

I'm sure you'll have a great time no matter what you select.

Archived