RCCL's Barbados "Malibu Beach Break"

Hi folks! We're off on the AOS July 29, and I'm hoping someone can provide some feedback on the RCCL sponsored excursion titled "Malibu Beach Break". I've checked the POC message board, but the only recent poster mentioning this particular excursion got "weathered-out".

Has anyone taken this particular excursion before? I've read on the POC board that Barbados is not a very "cab-friendly" island, such as St. Thomas. If that is the case, we would rather book our Barbados excursion through the cruise line.

Has anyone taken this excursion recently? If so, please spill the beans!:-)

Otherwise, any info regarding Malibu Beach will be much appreciated!:confused:

Not recently, but a couple of years ago we took the Malibu beach break excursion with the ship. The beach is quite nice, but since then we have discovered a much nicer one. It is called the Boatyard, they have water sports, a great beach bar and restaurant, music etc. The water is lovely. It is popular with the crew. There is an entrance fee ($12 if I remember correctly), but it includes your beach chair and a credit for a drink.

When you leave the cruise terminal, you will see some taxis and vans lined up. Tell them you are going to the Boatyard and they will direct you to an area to wait - they want to fill up the mini van first - we have never waited more than 10 minutes. It takes only about 10 or 15 minutes to get there. You can get a taxi back to the ship whenever you are ready.

If you are not convinced yet, here is the link to their website :

http://www.theboatyard.com/

Have a great cruise!

Suzanne

I had gone on this excursion probably 5 years ago. When you arrived they took you on a tour of how the rum is made and you actually see the vats where the rum is being brewed, you could practically drop your gum in it, that's how close you are allowed to it. Then afterwards they give you a ticket for a drink and you can go pick out your beach chair. The beach is nice, lots of sea glass there if you collect, but nothing to rent with a motor (jet ski..etc..). Its pretty quite if you are looking for a tranquil spot. HTH!

Then afterwards they give you a ticket for a drink and you can go pick out your beach chair. The beach is nice, lots of sea glass there if you collect, but nothing to rent with a motor (jet ski..etc..). Its pretty quite if you are looking for a tranquil spot. HTH!

Thanks to both of you, Suzanne & Jerzegirl. We're two couples at 50 (and maybe a tad more), and while I would personally love to try jet-skiing, etc., I know it's not best for me in the Big Picture:(, and I doubt my DW and our friends would be interested at all. That being said, some rum, a beach chair and a tranquil spot are probably JUST what we're looking for!:D

Can you rent umbrellas as well? The only thing whiter than my prematurely white hair is, well, all the rest of me...even WITH a pretty good tan! (Don't worry, I travel with a separate suitcase of SPF 30 ++!)

We did the Malibu Beach a few years ago on Princess and we thought the beach was very nice and relaxing. The locals come and ask if you want to rent a jet ski or go out on their boat, we said no and they left us alone. I would go back for a wonderful day in paradise.

Hi,

I was there with my family this past April. We went to Malibu Beach on our own with a taxi. No problem getting taxis. There were plenty. The drivers try to get you to go on a tour of the island instead of your desired destination but no pressure. You just say no thank you. Our driver even offered to come back for us at a designated time but since we weren't sure when we would be ready we declined. There were plenty of cabs waiting for us to go back to the ship. Malibu beach was small but very nice. The water was warm and beautiful. We also did the tour of the Malibu factory and found it interesting. On the beach, there were chairs and umbrellas to rent. There were also jet ski people there and a man that took you on a snorkle with the turtle excursion if you wanted. There was a small food bar and drink bar. There were bathrooms and showers available as well. We really enjoyed Malibu beach.

We were in Barbados in 2005 and took the ship's tour of the island and the caves. On the way back we asked our van driver if there was a good beach to go to on the way back to the ship. He said he would drop us after the rest of the pax were dropped off at the pier. He took us to the Malibu Beach Club where he got us in for $5.00 each (half off).

The first part of the stop was a very personal and up close tour of the Maliby rum distillery. That took about 15 - 20 minutes and ended up at the Beach Club Bar where we got to sample 4 or 5 types of rum from the 2 year old rough stuff to the nicely aged and very smooth 10 year old + stuff.

Our admission also got us a drink ticket and access to a chaise on the beach. There was a small grill with lunch at the Club so we enjoyed our rum with a sandwich. Overall, a very relaxed (probably the rum :D ) stop with a nice beach, all facilities, a bar and factory outlet pricing for Malibu coconut rum (2 one litre bottles and a bonus carry bag for US $10). :)

We'd go back again. You will enjoy it.

toothy26

How much was the taxi ride from the pier to Malibu Beach (per person)? Do you know if they charge for infants?

We're going to Barbados in December and was thinking of taking a taxi to Malibu Beach. Only concern is that we might be traveling with an infant (trying to adopt a baby) and need to make sure that a car seat can be strapped in.

How long is the ride from the pier to Malibu Beach?

Thanks for you help.

Sea ya!

I've read on the POC board that Barbados is not a very "cab-friendly" island, such as St. Thomas. If that is the case, we would rather book our Barbados excursion through the cruise line.

Where did you read the cabs were not friendly???? We have been to Barbados many times, and we ALWAYS grab and cab and go. This year there were 6 of us, and we had the best cab driver ever. The main cab boss wanted to charge to much and this guy walked up and asked us what we wanted to do and charged us about $100 less and he was fantastic - name was Dennis from Dennis the Menace cab company. Would use him again in a heartbeat. But honestly, we have always just walked out of the building and asked for a cab and never, ever had any issues.

We are in our 50's/60's and I will also give you a vote for The Boatyard. Absolutely gorgeous beach with calm waters, crystal clear. We love it there. I think it is $25 for 2 chairs with an umbrella, but then you get 2 free drinks included. We have gone there 4 or 5 times now, and never tire of it. Nice beach to walk on also.

We are in our 50's/60's and I will also give you a vote for The Boatyard. Absolutely gorgeous beach with calm waters, crystal clear. We love it there. I think it is $25 for 2 chairs with an umbrella, but then you get 2 free drinks included. We have gone there 4 or 5 times now, and never tire of it. Nice beach to walk on also.

Karena1: I totally agree!

RoosterSharkey: We are also in our mid-50's. The Boatyard website may give the impression that it is wild and noisy from the photos; however when you are on the beach in the daytime, it is fairly quiet. All we do there is lie in the sun, walk on the beach, swim frequently, and quench our thirst every couple of hours at the bar. As for Malibu Beach, I have to add that the rum factory does give off fumes - I may be very sensitive to aromas, but I thought the smell of rum wafting from the factory was a bit intoxicating. I am sure that whichever beach you decide to go to, you'll love it.

Suzanne

• 2 weeks later...

Archived