REVIEW - Explorer of the Seas 7/6/07

Review of Explorer of the Seas cruise – July 6, 2007 YMMV

About us

We are in our mid 50’s and are veterans of 16 cruises prior to this one. Our 25 year old son and one of his old college friends accompanied us, and stayed in a cabin across the hall from ours. Upon completing this cruise, my wife, son and I have reached Diamond Crown & Anchor status with Royal Caribbean.

Getting there and embarkation -

Living in Staten Island, NY departing from Cape Liberty NJ is very convenient, about a 30 minute drive from our home. This was the fifth cruise we have taken from Cape Liberty since it opened in 2004. We arrived at the terminal around 11:45AM, which is about the time we arrived for most of the previous cruises from Cape Liberty. I will divide the embarkation process into two categories – luggage handling and check-in.

Unlike the previous cruises from Cape Liberty, the luggage handling was awful, almost nonexistent. In the past, the porters took the bags from the car and immediately loaded them into the bins to be brought on the ship. Not this time! We unloaded the bags from the cars and could not find anyone to take them from us. It seemed that most of the porters were still assisting passengers getting off the previous cruise. I stood there waving a $20 bill and couldn’t even find anyone to tip for handling the bags. My son and I left my wife and his friend with our luggage while we went to park the cars. Upon returning to the terminal, the bags were still sitting where we left them, with a collection of other passengers’ luggage to be delivered to the ship. There were quite a few passengers standing around wondering what to do with their luggage. After waiting about a half hour, there were at least 200 pieces of luggage just sitting there. A security person eventually told everyone to just leave the luggage as long as it had the ship tags on it. So, we just left it there and hoped it would make it on to the ship. It was finally delivered to our cabin at about 8:00 PM. I wore jeans to dinner that night, as did a lot of other people.

The actual check-in process was very smooth. As Platinum Crown & Anchor members, we had a priority line for check-in. We had previously completed the on line check in forms on the Royal Caribbean web site and check-in at the pier was a breeze.

As soon as we got on board we headed straight for the Windjammer buffet where lunch was being served.

Our cabin(s)

My wife and I were in a category E2 cabin with a balcony on Deck 6, midship and my son and friend were in a Promenade cabin across the hall. The E2 cabin is one of the smaller ones we have been in, but it was more than adequate for just the two of us. Our cabin steward was absolutely superb! He seemed to make up the room within minutes of when we left it, and he always left us extra towels without us having to ask for them. He also left us towel animals almost every night, and even after all of our previous cruises we always get a charge from them.

The Promenade cabin was about the same size as ours, except without the balcony. The window which overlooks the Royal Promenade provided a great spot to view the parades without jostling with the crowds on the Promenade.

The Ship

The ship itself is showing some age in spots, but is still in very good shape. There are more than enough activities and lounges to satisfy everyone, and despite approximately 3,400 passengers on board it rarely felt crowded.

The adult’s only solarium pool provided a nice respite for those who wanted to get away from the kids on board for some peace and quiet.

Dining room food and service -

Food is a very subjective thing, but I thought the dining room food was generally very good and I especially enjoyed the cold soups. However, the selection of entrees could have been better. I always found something that appealed to me, but it was never a matter of deciding between two entrees. Our waitress was excellent and she always had a smile and tried very hard to please everyone. The assistant waiter was also exceptional and was on top of everything. After the first night, he knew what we each liked to drink and we never had to ask again. Our glasses were also kept filled. The head waiter came by often enough to make sure we were satisfied with everything.

A hint – if you don’t care for any of the appetizers on the menu, my son discovered that you can always order chicken fingers and/or mozzarella sticks from the children’s menu.

Lido deck food and service

The Windjammer buffet was good and there was enough variety that we always found something appealing. We had breakfast there almost every morning. For lunch or a snack the burgers and pizza were always very good.

Promenade Café

The Promenade Café is a great place to stop for a cup of coffee or a snack, or just to sit and people watch. There is always fresh coffee, and little pastries, Danish, sandwiches, wraps, pizza, and other goodies. Best of all, it is open 24/7.

Bar service

Bar service was exceptional. We never had to look very far for a bar waiter and they were all very friendly. I was on a first name basis with Devon (“Double D” as he called himself) and he frequently stopped by to chat with us at poolside; even when we were already drinking and not ready to order anything from him. I actually looked forward to seeing him every day.

Room service

With one exception, room service was very good. For the morning we were scheduled to arrive in Bermuda we had ordered room service breakfast the night before, to be delivered between 7:30 – 8:00 AM. At 8:05 I called to inquire about it and it was still being worked on. We cancelled the order since we wanted to be off the ship by 8:30. On one of the days at sea we ordered breakfast again, and it was delivered promptly. While we were packing on our last day at sea, we decided to order burgers, pizza and dessert from room service. It was delivered quickly, and was actually much better than we expected.

Cruise activities

Our first day at sea we attended the Cruise Critic Meet & Mingle and met most of the people we had been communicating with on the Cruise Critic message boards. It was nice to meet everyone, and I finally won the aqua-mouse. I’ve been wanting that since the first meet and mingle I attended several years ago.

Most of the usual activities were scheduled throughout the cruise, but I wish they would bring back the poolside horse racing. Last year, at least they had car races on the Promenade, but this year there was nothing of the sort.

The “Majority Rules” game which we had always enjoyed was relegated to the Schooner Bar for a half hour before dinner, instead in a larger lounge for an hour or so later in the evening. We were disappointed with this.

Karaoke was a big disappointment, and did not have much of a turnout. On previous cruises, it was always standing room only for Karaoke. On this cruise, the passengers were pretty lifeless and there were plenty of seats to be had. Not many people wanted to sing, and the cruise staff really had to work to pull this off. One night, they even resorted to singing themselves just to keep it going.

Entertainment

In the main show theater, one night The Drifters performed. They were exceptional and got a huge standing ovation from the crowd.

The production shows were the same shows as the past three years, and one of the headline entertainers, Billy Fellows, was the same act we have seen the past three years. The ice show was also the same as the previous year. As I wrote in a letter to Richard Fain (CEO) and Adam Goldstein (Pres) at Royal Caribbean International, for repeat guests, the entertainment is old and stale. For first timers it should be very enjoyable as it was for us our first time.

I did not care for the poolside band and thought they were way too loud. I’ve heard much better bands on other cruises. I’m glad I had my I Pod and noise canceling headphones.

We didn’t really listen to the entertainment in any of the various lounges this time around so I can’t really comment about that.

Fellow passengers

There seemed to be an abundance of older people 65+, and 30-somethings with children (lots of rug rats). There also seemed to be a lot of family groups who pretty much kept to themselves, and didn’t appear to be interested in socializing with anyone outside their group. This was somewhat disappointing for us.

As for the 20-something set, The Chamber (disco) was “dead” – almost empty - every night. There were a few regulars, but mostly in small groups and not many approachable people. The cruise staff was strictly checking ID’s (photo ID on the Seapass cards) and enforcing the drinking age. That may have kept some of the 18, 19 and 20 year olds away.

This was most definitely a BINGO crowd on this cruise. The final jackpot on the last day was $15,000.

The ports

KingsWharf, Bermuda – We arrived in Bermuda on a Sunday morning, and virtually everything in Bermuda is closed. The ship offered several excursions, but having been to Bermuda a number of times before, we decided to make it a beach day. While many passengers were waiting in line to buy a daily bus pass or get tourist information, the four of us took a taxi to Horseshoe Bay. The fare was about $30, plus tip. We rented chairs and umbrellas, and spent a lovely day on the beach. We shared a taxi with some fellow passengers on the way back to the ship and split the fare.

St. Maarten – En route to St. Maarten the ship had to turn back toward Bermuda due to a medical emergency on board, so we did not arrive until about 3:00PM, three hours later than scheduled. Most of the shore excursions were cancelled. It seemed kind of late to go to a beach, so we just went to downtown Phillipsburg for some shopping. One jewelry store after another. At least my wife enjoyed herself.

St. Thomas

What’s not to love about St. Thomas? We took a taxi to Magen’s Bay and spent most of the day on the beach. From there we took a taxi to Paradise Point and took the cable car to the top of the mountain. The views of the harbor and the ships (Mariner of the Seas was docked behind Explorer) were beautiful. We had a couple of beers, Bushwhackers and some chicken fingers and fries. It was so nice just relaxing and taking in the views, that we almost lost track of the time and had to hustle back to the ship.

San Juan – Been there, done that. The ship arrived at 7:00 AM and departed at 2:00 PM so we decided to treat San Juan as a “sea day” and stayed on board the ship. I was quite surprised to see how many other people did not bother to get off the ship either. Once you have seen the forts and the rain forest there really isn’t that much more to do there.

Disembarkation

In one word – Terrible!

The best part was the private departure lounge for platinum, diamond and diamond plus Crown & Anchor members. They provided us with coffee, tea, juice and some Danish pastries. Unfortunately, when the drinks and pastries ran out, they were not replenished. It seemed to be taking a very long time until they started calling color tags to get off. When we inquired at the pursers desk they informed us the disembarkation process was running about an hour behind schedule. In total, we waited just over three hours to get off the ship. Fortunately we found all of our luggage quickly and after the porter took us to the pick up area, I cajoled him to take us to the long-term parking lot so we could just load the luggage in the cars and get going without having to circle around in the traffic to the pick up area.

Summary

We had a very good time, although I would not consider this one of our memorable cruises.

Great review. In May we had no problem with embarktion, but disembarktion was a "nightmare". We couldn't find porters to help with luggage, we were told to go to the other end of the terminal and get a number, and they would help us. We just managed our luggage ourselves. RCI needs to work on the disembarktion process in NJ.

Thank you for the detailed review. I am going on the same cruise 7/17/08 in a large group and we cannot wait to go to Bermuda. We have never been there before. Would you recommend Horseshoe Bay?

Lisa, there is a roll call going on here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=531290&highlight=7%2F17%2F08

Stop by and say hi!

We're leaning towards Horseshoe Bay as well.

Good review and you hit on about everything that happened.

I had fun at Karaoke even if it was the same guy (Rodger) over and over again. He seemed like he was having fun and he was actually a really good singer, if he didn't run out of breath from dancing. He brought the crowd into it and made it fun.

The Karaoke staff did a great job and I wish them all the best. They were trying so hard.

As for the islands I hated St. Thomas, I dont know what it was but we went on a excursion (Snuba) and most of the locals were a holes. I thought the island looked like crap too, trash on the beach and everything. Maybe I went to the wrong side of the island but I was not impressed at all and would rather never go back. I though San Juan was much better. I have been to Bermuda before and we have fallen in love with the people and the island. I guess I need to stop comparing Bermuda to islands in the caribbean.

I kind of think arriving to St. Maarten later was nice. I got to eat on the beach with the sun going down, doesn't get much better then that. Even better to hear that the guy was doing fine that had the emergency.

This was our second RCI cruise and I did have a lot of fun.

As for getting off the ship that was a different story. My wife is handicap due to 7 ankle surgerys but she doesn't need to be in a wheel chair. We got off the ship no problem but their were no one around to help. I had to push 6 bags through customs because their was no one around.

I agree with the problems at embarkation. We got there around 1:30pm and had the same problems and only had 1 of our 3 bags by 7pm. That's the latest I've ever gotten them. I'm usually unpacked before dinner and we have early seating.

I also agree that the pool band was not the best I've seen on a cruise. They were ok but nothing great.

Thank you for the detailed review. I am going on the same cruise 7/17/08 in a large group and we cannot wait to go to Bermuda. We have never been there before. Would you recommend Horseshoe Bay?

Horseshoe Bay is one of the nicest beaches in the world, and if you have time for only one beach in Bermuda that is the one I would recommend. Facing the ocean, make sure to take a walk all the way down to the left to check out the little coves.

For those that asked, I would recommend Horseshoe Bay. I've been and planning on going there when in Bermuda in a couple weeks.

For the folks who were on the cruise, do you have any suggestion on which night would be good to skip the main dining room and go to Portofinos instead? TIA

Did you bring your own wine on board?

We're not big wine drinkers and our TA always sends us a bottle of wine on board, so we had 2 bottles for our 2 cabins and that was enough for us for the duration. We kept them chilled inthe mini-fridge and then brought them to the dining room for dinner. You should check with RCCL about their policy of bringing your own wine or liquor on board. The policy seems to be in constant flux, and actual enforcement is not consistent. The guest conduct policy they handed out to everyone on this cruise specifically forbade bringing liquor on board. If you do bring your own wine, make sure you bring a corkscrew also because you can't buy a corkscrew on board (we tried).

We were also on the same cruise and found the same problems with embarkation and debarkation. We got to the port very early, around 10:30 and there although they were checking people in there was noone to take bags. We did eventually find a porter who had someone elses bags and promised he's return and he did. We had 6 bags. Five of the bags came by 3:00 the last on didn't show until around 8:00. The captain announced were told sail away would be delayed to ensure all the luggage was on the ship. I heard them calling later in the night for people to check their luggage as there were still missing bags.

Check in was easy since were used priority check in because of a suite. The waiting room for priority is too small though. It was really packed with security guards screaming for people to move back aways from the doors as we waited for boarding to start.

Debarkation was easier than last year which didn't even begin until 10:30. This year they started a little after 8:30. We had the pink, first off tags and were lucky enough to find our bags really fast. There weren't enough porters for the amount of people but we all grabbed a couple bags and rolled out. We were home in South Jersey (11:00) and my son was hearing from friends who were just having their numbers called.

I agree St. Thomas didn't look as good as it has in years past. I love St. Thomas and would have loved to live there but it wasn't the same this time around. We went to Sapphire Beach. It was beautiful but it was different than the other beaches we have gone to. It was nice that there were no people trying to sell things or braid your hair.

We planned on going to Divi Beach but when we were told that we wouldn't make it in to St. Maarten until after 4:00 we decided against it and then when me made it in earlier than planned it was really too late to get everyone and everything together.

San Juan was such a short time there that we also used it as a sea day although the ship was still crowded since most others did the same.

In Bermuda we did the Restless Native Catamaran after reading the great reviews on here. We got on the catamaran and took a short ride to a cove to snorkle. Along the way we got a very short history of the island but learned mostly about the how much things cost and the Texas Instruments founders house. They handed out a cookie to everyone as we listened. The guide also told us about some of the fish we would see. When we got to the cove we were given goggles, snorkle and a noodle and allowed to snorkle for about 45 minutes. We were told the ride back would be a party with cookies and rum swizzles but it was more of a race back which took about 15minutes. It was a very fast excursion not what we expected. We did enjoy ourselves and the crew even if they were much younger than we thought were very sweet and tried hard to please but it was obvious they were speeding things along.

The cruise entertainment staff were really good and full of energy. We just wish there was more to do. We played almost every trivia game and really had fun, especially because of the wonderful people we met that made up our team. But other than gambling (which we don't do) or sitting around the pool there wasn't much else to do during the day especially if you are entertaining an 11 year old whos club closes between 12 and 2 and 5 and 7. It was nearly impossible to find a chair near the pools and the pools were so packed with people. At night the same was true, we had a hard time finding something to do.

The first comedian, Jimmy Carroll was good, the juggler Kristian Kristof was okay the first night but on the last night much better. Billy Fellows is past his prime, saw him last year and walked out and only stayed this year because it was something to do with my son. He does impression of people long dead, most of which I only knew of because of my grandmother. The guy with the duck, Dave Morgan and Chucky, was a surprise, he was hysterical. We didn't like either of the production numbers and the Drifters we good but not of kind of music so we left all three shows early. The ice show was the same as last year, a bit funky, but the skaters do an amazing job in the tiny space given. The last comedian, Carl Strong, was the best entertainment of the week. At first he came out singing and we thought not again but when he got going he was great. Appropriate for any age on the ship not just catering to the older crowds. The entertainment on the ship really isn't geared to families and the 40 and below crowd.

My 11 year old went to the Adventure Ocean and when she was there she had fun. My teen boys 15 and 17 can not say the same about Optix. The ship was crowded with teens. We were told by a crew memeber that the ship had over 700 teens registered. For that many they had 2 counselors who switched out and sometimes Mel the supervisor. They also had 3 security guards who really did little posted outside. The hall outside was always crowded with teens and others spent their days hanging in the Promonade or in an empty Chamber during the day. Luckily we only had on run in with a rude teen otherwise they were well behaved but bored. My kids don't ever want to go on Royal Caribbean again.

We have a family of five so if we want to stay in a room on the ship and not do connecting or across the hall we have to get a suite. Last year we were in the Royal Suite. It was beautiful but not meant for more than 2 people. This year we booked the Royal Family suite. It really is just a large stateroom. None of the extras a suite usually has like marble, or flat screen tvs but a perfect room for a family with 2 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms and a living area that allows others in the room to sleep in when others are awake early. The only thing we didn't like about the room was the location. It is an aft cabin and there are no aft elevators. It's a hike each way if you need to run back to the room for anything and with kids your are going back a lot. Also being use to midship on every cruise we've done I am use to that ocean view. The balcony, which is very large, is fully exposed to sun and your upstairs neighbors. There is no privacy or shade. The view is also obstructed with metal beams. We were grateful to have a balcony and the oceanview. It just wasn't what we are use to or prefer and we rarely used it.

None of us are big eaters. My one son likes late night room service and we found them always accurate and prompt. We did order breakfast before getting off in Bermuda and it did arrive on time so we were lucky. We ate most of our meals in the Windjammer. It wasn't very good (was much better last year) but none of us went hungry and always found something to eat.

This was our 2nd 9 night on the Explorer and we won't be going again. It's so convenient to our house but we found ourselves bored most of the time. We know we are probably in the minority as so many people love the Explorer but it isn't a cruise for families with older kids.

We were also on the same cruise and found the same problems with embarkation and debarkation. We got to the port very early, around 10:30 and there although they were checking people in there was noone to take bags. We did eventually find a porter who had someone elses bags and promised he's return and he did. We had 6 bags. Five of the bags came by 3:00 the last on didn't show until around 8:00. The captain announced were told sail away would be delayed to ensure all the luggage was on the ship. I heard them calling later in the night for people to check their luggage as there were still missing bags.

Check in was easy since were used priority check in because of a suite. The waiting room for priority is too small though. It was really packed with security guards screaming for people to move back aways from the doors as we waited for boarding to start.

Debarkation was easier than last year which didn't even begin until 10:30. This year they started a little after 8:30. We had the pink, first off tags and were lucky enough to find our bags really fast. There weren't enough porters for the amount of people but we all grabbed a couple bags and rolled out. We were home in South Jersey (11:00) and my son was hearing from friends who were just having their numbers called.

I agree St. Thomas didn't look as good as it has in years past. I love St. Thomas and would have loved to live there but it wasn't the same this time around. We went to Sapphire Beach. It was beautiful but it was different than the other beaches we have gone to. It was nice that there were no people trying to sell things or braid your hair.

We planned on going to Divi Beach but when we were told that we wouldn't make it in to St. Maarten until after 4:00 we decided against it and then when me made it in earlier than planned it was really too late to get everyone and everything together.

San Juan was such a short time there that we also used it as a sea day although the ship was still crowded since most others did the same.

In Bermuda we did the Restless Native Catamaran after reading the great reviews on here. We got on the catamaran and took a short ride to a cove to snorkle. Along the way we got a very short history of the island but learned mostly about the how much things cost and the Texas Instruments founders house. They handed out a cookie to everyone as we listened. The guide also told us about some of the fish we would see. When we got to the cove we were given goggles, snorkle and a noodle and allowed to snorkle for about 45 minutes. We were told the ride back would be a party with cookies and rum swizzles but it was more of a race back which took about 15minutes. It was a very fast excursion not what we expected. We did enjoy ourselves and the crew even if they were much younger than we thought were very sweet and tried hard to please but it was obvious they were speeding things along.

The cruise entertainment staff were really good and full of energy. We just wish there was more to do. We played almost every trivia game and really had fun, especially because of the wonderful people we met that made up our team. But other than gambling (which we don't do) or sitting around the pool there wasn't much else to do during the day especially if you are entertaining an 11 year old whos club closes between 12 and 2 and 5 and 7. It was nearly impossible to find a chair near the pools and the pools were so packed with people. At night the same was true, we had a hard time finding something to do.

The first comedian, Jimmy Carroll was good, the juggler Kristian Kristof was okay the first night but on the last night much better. Billy Fellows is past his prime, saw him last year and walked out and only stayed this year because it was something to do with my son. He does impression of people long dead, most of which I only knew of because of my grandmother. The guy with the duck, Dave Morgan and Chucky, was a surprise, he was hysterical. We didn't like either of the production numbers and the Drifters we good but not of kind of music so we left all three shows early. The ice show was the same as last year, a bit funky, but the skaters do an amazing job in the tiny space given. The last comedian, Carl Strong, was the best entertainment of the week. At first he came out singing and we thought not again but when he got going he was great. Appropriate for any age on the ship not just catering to the older crowds. The entertainment on the ship really isn't geared to families and the 40 and below crowd.

My 11 year old went to the Adventure Ocean and when she was there she had fun. My teen boys 15 and 17 can not say the same about Optix. The ship was crowded with teens. We were told by a crew memeber that the ship had over 700 teens registered. For that many they had 2 counselors who switched out and sometimes Mel the supervisor. They also had 3 security guards who really did little posted outside. The hall outside was always crowded with teens and others spent their days hanging in the Promonade or in an empty Chamber during the day. Luckily we only had on run in with a rude teen otherwise they were well behaved but bored. My kids don't ever want to go on Royal Caribbean again.

We have a family of five so if we want to stay in a room on the ship and not do connecting or across the hall we have to get a suite. Last year we were in the Royal Suite. It was beautiful but not meant for more than 2 people. This year we booked the Royal Family suite. It really is just a large stateroom. None of the extras a suite usually has like marble, or flat screen tvs but a perfect room for a family with 2 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms and a living area that allows others in the room to sleep in when others are awake early. The only thing we didn't like about the room was the location. It is an aft cabin and there are no aft elevators. It's a hike each way if you need to run back to the room for anything and with kids your are going back a lot. Also being use to midship on every cruise we've done I am use to that ocean view. The balcony, which is very large, is fully exposed to sun and your upstairs neighbors. There is no privacy or shade. The view is also obstructed with metal beams. We were grateful to have a balcony and the oceanview. It just wasn't what we are use to or prefer and we rarely used it.

None of us are big eaters. My one son likes late night room service and we found them always accurate and prompt. We did order breakfast before getting off in Bermuda and it did arrive on time so we were lucky. We ate most of our meals in the Windjammer. It wasn't very good (was much better last year) but none of us went hungry and always found something to eat.

This was our 2nd 9 night on the Explorer and we won't be going again. It's so convenient to our house but we found ourselves bored most of the time. We know we are probably in the minority as so many people love the Explorer but it isn't a cruise for families with older kids.

If your kids were bored, and you were bored, then your family is pretty hard to please. This ship is totally geared to the younger crowd with kids. The Drifters were not really my kind of music either, but still entertaining enough to sit through the show which I enjoyed. It was not even an hour long. Was there anything you liked?

Thanks for the detailed review. I always say I am going to do one, and then...

We are on the Explorer on 8/17 with a large group and have four balcony cabins on deck six. I don't think it is midship however, in the 6500 series. Can you tell me where your cabin was? Did you mind the metal balcony?

Thanks,

el henry

My teens have been on the EOS twice, as well as on 3 other sister ships, and absolutely love these ships! How could any teen could be bored? There is so much to do! Did your children play basketball, volleyball, dodgeball, rock climb, ice skate, roller blade, play mini golf, ??? What kind of "entertainment" were they looking for to relieve their boredom?

We were in the Royal Family Suite the last time we were on EOS. It is a fabulous cabin!

Thanks for the detailed review. I always say I am going to do one, and then...

We are on the Explorer on 8/17 with a large group and have four balcony cabins on deck six. I don't think it is midship however, in the 6500 series. Can you tell me where your cabin was? Did you mind the metal balcony?

Thanks,

el henry

We were in cabin 6590

If your kids were bored, and you were bored, then your family is pretty hard to please. This ship is totally geared to the younger crowd with kids. The Drifters were not really my kind of music either, but still entertaining enough to sit through the show which I enjoyed. It was not even an hour long. Was there anything you liked?

Apparently you did read too closely, you might want to read again. I never said we hated anything. There were things we liked (and if you read you will see some of them) but the cruise isn't for us. I made it clear that we know we are in the minority and that others really enjoy the cruise. A review is a personal opinion. Our opinion is that the ship isn't for us. Isn't it great that there are options in the world and that we can find what suits us.

Maybe you can tell me what there is to do with a family? I don't go on a ship to play board games we do that at home. We did the rock climbing wall and mini golf, how many time can you do them. My sons played basketball and dodgeball but I guess they didn't really want to do that all day everyday. The shows were geared to an older crowd I guess I could have made them sit through something they wouldn't enjoy. The movies in the theatre we all unknown to us.

We are use to DCL with the Jumbotron showing movies at night and also showing movies in the theatre all day. Planned family activities all through the day and night. Three shows nightly with one for the family, then the main show and a late adult show with the option of going to another venue for a family party of some sort. We like staying busy and DCL seems to be the one that works for us.

cruislovin:

The only thing I didn't like about the Royal Family Suite was the location as I stated. (Maybe you need to read that paragraph again) The room was perfect for a family but we don't like aft we prefer midship. Again, not everyone likes the same thing, as I understand that some loved the cruise while we didn't. Some people can't stand when others have opinions that differ from them and so I expected that I would be flamed for giving my honest review.

Apparently you did read too closely, you might want to read again. I never said we hated anything. There were things we liked (and if you read you will see some of them) but the cruise isn't for us. I made it clear that we know we are in the minority and that others really enjoy the cruise. A review is a personal opinion. Our opinion is that the ship isn't for us. Isn't it great that there are options in the world and that we can find what suits us.

Maybe you can tell me what there is to do with a family? I don't go on a ship to play board games we do that at home. We did the rock climbing wall and mini golf, how many time can you do them. My sons played basketball and dodgeball but I guess they didn't really want to do that all day everyday. The shows were geared to an older crowd I guess I could have made them sit through something they wouldn't enjoy. The movies in the theatre we all unknown to us.

We are use to DCL with the Jumbotron showing movies at night and also showing movies in the theatre all day. Planned family activities all through the day and night. Three shows nightly with one for the family, then the main show and a late adult show with the option of going to another venue for a family party of some sort. We like staying busy and DCL seems to be the one that works for us.

cruislovin:

The only thing I didn't like about the Royal Family Suite was the location as I stated. (Maybe you need to read that paragraph again) The room was perfect for a family but we don't like aft we prefer midship. Again, not everyone likes the same thing, as I understand that some loved the cruise while we didn't. Some people can't stand when others have opinions that differ from them and so I expected that I would be flamed for giving my honest review.

I appreciated your review thank you!

. . . My 11 year old went to the Adventure Ocean and when she was there she had fun. My teen boys 15 and 17 can not say the same about Optix. The ship was crowded with teens. We were told by a crew memeber that the ship had over 700 teens registered. For that many they had 2 counselors who switched out and sometimes Mel the supervisor. They also had 3 security guards who really did little posted outside. The hall outside was always crowded with teens and others spent their days hanging in the Promonade or in an empty Chamber during the day. Luckily we only had on run in with a rude teen otherwise they were well behaved but bored. My kids don't ever want to go on Royal Caribbean again.. . .

I remember when my son was 16/17 on cruises with us. It's a tough age. The Adventure Ocean program for 14 - 17 year olds is not really entertaining to most 16/17 year olds. I remember my son being bored at times until he managed to connect with some of the other kids who were in the same boat (no pun intended:D ) and they kept each other company and usually found something to do together. From 18-20, it can be even more difficult since there are no organized activities whatsoever for that age group. It may not be just Royal Caribbean, it may in part be that they are at a difficult age to keep them entertained for any length of time, and also that as a whole, IMHO, the group of passengers on this cruise were pretty boring & lifeless.

We have a group planning on taking this cruise.... we are going in late APril 2009 how were the seas heading south?

The seas were just fine, not the least bit rough.

But the Atlantic can change very quickly. In April 2005 we sailed to Bermuda from Cape Liberty and we were rocking & rolling for most of the way going there.

My apologies. You are correct in saying that you didn't hate anything. While our reviews are very different, I can still see your point. I sailed with my 10 year old and neither he nor I were ever bored so I guess that is where I'm hung-up.

We have sailed DCL and honestly, while I thought they were very good, I was slightly bored on their ship. There really wasn;t alot of nightlife which is what I like.

Again, my apologies

Archived