Shots for China Yangzte?

lobsterlover

For those of you who have done this trip did you get typhoid or malaria shots? I have tried to research this and found conflicting opinions about the necessity. I did get Hepatitis A, and am up to date on tetnus. What did you do? My trip is in September, so I need to make a decision soon. My friend's doctor just gave her a typhoid....my doctor left it up to me. I've gotten so much helpful information from this board I knew this would be the place to turn.

L.L.

Hello LL - Wife and I were in China this past May and we didn't get any shots prior to our trip. Important you DO NOT drink water from the hotel or river cruise ship tap in your bathrooms. Our hotels and the Victoria cruise line supplied bottled water every day. Also get a couple of bottles of hand sanitizer. We had no problem as did any other people on our tour. You are going to love the "eastern" toilets. Willard

Hi Willard,

Thanks for your response. Tell me, how did your wife make out with the "eastern" toilets. I'm hoping we don't experience too many. What did she wear? What was your most favorite memory? Unfortunately, we are flying coach, so I'm dreading the long flight more than the "eastern" toilet.

L.L.

My wife wore slacks and used that type of toilet only 4 times - she said she did ok. Most places have western types but out touring, like the Great Wall you find the other ones. You will do fine. She took a couple small rolls of Charmin we got at either Kmart or Walmart. We flew coach too..Tampa to Chicago then direct to Beijing. On the way home it was Hong Kong to Chicago then to Tampa. 13 hours from Chicago to China and 14 hours from Hong Kong to Chicago. We went with Vantage and they did a great job. I might suggest that you go to a few Chinese places to eat and practice with chop sticks before you go. It's a hoot. Willard

Hi Willard,

Thanks for your response. Tell me, how did your wife make out with the "eastern" toilets. I'm hoping we don't experience too many. What did she wear? What was your most favorite memory? Unfortunately, we are flying coach, so I'm dreading the long flight more than the "eastern" toilet.

L.L.

LL - If your coach flight is possibly United you can pay a one time fee for 6" extra leg room for you and a partner for a year. We did it in April and the 13 1/2 hour flight was still difficult.

Also do not brush your teeth with hotel orship tap water. We brought small paper cups to brush & rinse. Showering & shaving with tap water was fine.

My MD said the shots were unnecessary but supplied a Cipro prescription for digestive maladies.

WIT

We had previously been vaccinated for Hepatitis B, and had Hepatitis A for the trip. We also brought along Cipro. China is easy - you should see all the shots (and malaria prophylaxis) we need for India.

Hi Willard,

L.L.

As a frequent business traveler to Asia (I am in Cambodia right now), wrap skirts work much better than slacks. China is getting more and more "western" toilets, in preparation for the Olympics. However, the restrooms in most of Asia are NOT maintained to US standards. Dropping my slacks/pants on the floor is just yucky!!!! So I have taken to wearing long wrap skirts-I bought a bunch in Thailand a few years ago. But they are available anyplace. They also are cool temperature wise and work very well with the "eastern toilets".

Greatam..........Thanks for a wonderful suggestion. I had better start looking for a couple of skirts.

Anyone else with ideas about the shots...no shots? Also my doctor advised there is a typhoid oral medication now. Anyone take that? I've heard the shot really makes the arm sore.

Everyone is very helpful. Thanks for the replies.

L.L.

Greatam..........Thanks for a wonderful suggestion. I had better start looking for a couple of skirts.

Anyone else with ideas about the shots...no shots? Also my doctor advised there is a typhoid oral medication now. Anyone take that? I've heard the shot really makes the arm sore.

Everyone is very helpful. Thanks for the replies.

L.L.

If you feel you need protection against typhoid, get the pills. You have protection for 5 years. The shot has to be repeated in 2 years. Takes 1 pill, 4 doses, 2 days apart. I feel Hep A and B are much more important than typhoid.

I personally don't feel you need protection from typhoid on the Yangtze. Don't eat the local "street food" and DON'T drink the water anyplace in Asia. Don't use tap water to brush teeth and don't get it in your mouth when you are showering. No worries on the US standard cruise ships that ply the Yangtze-you will be fine on the ship. This advice is ONLY for wandering around tourist areas and staying in non US standard hotels (which probably doesn't apply on a Yangtze tour).

MAKE SURE your bottled water is FACTORY sealed. Lots of people selling water on the street refill water bottles with tap water. I either go to a grocery (which is a daunting experience) or buy the water from the hotel. Costs much more at the hotel, but I know it is safe.

MAKE sure you take wet wipes. Not only is toilet paper a rare commodity in public restrooms, but soap and water are at a premium. I buy the individually sealed packets by the box at WalMart. Put some in my pockets, some in the backpack, lots in the suitcases. Keeping your self clean (handwashing, spills on clothes) is much more a problem in Asia if you go off the tourist track. You will really appreciate the wet wipes a lot of times.

Enjoy!!! I am not overly impressed with most of China, but I LOVE Vietnam/Cambodia.

• 1 month later...

My husband and I were in China in June. We did a Ritz Tour that included Beijing, Xian, Yangtze River cruise, and Shanghai. Our doctor did not suggest shots, but did give us a prescription for Cipro to take along. We also took some Immodium and Pepto. Didn't need any of it, except for one dose of Immodium one evening. Hubby got us each a mango smoothie at Beijing airport....not thinking about the ice, most likely, used to make it. Bottled water was readily available for tourists everywhere.

We flew nonstop R/T from Los Angeles to Beijing, and were also concerned about the length of the flight (12 hours). We took a sleeping pill coming and going, and that took care of 5 or 6 hours, plus gave us a bit of a rest.

We thoroughly enjoyed our trip. I'm sure you will too.

Marcia in CT

• 1 month later...

:confused: Scheduled to go on Viking Century Sun the end of May 2008 to China. DH and got the tetanus so far, and taking the Hep A/B series. Also, updating the flu and pneumonia vaccinations this fall. Now I see that it may be a good idea for Malaria vaccination? What is the thoughts on this vaccine? We will be on the Yangtze about 9 days.

I don't believe that there is a Malaria vaccination - there are pills for Malaria prevention, either Larium weekly, or Malarone daily. You are probably thinking of typhoid, where there are pills or vaccinations. Neither is necessary for China, just Hep A and B and it is always a good idea to be up to date on Tetanus

• 3 weeks later...

Archived