Westerdam - Nov 9/08 B2B E/W Caribbean - Starboard or Port side?

LouisV

So what's better...a port or starboard side cabin in the VA or VB category and why?
It makes no difference to me. Some people just "prefer" one side - for no reason other than habit, I think. Now on a one-way cruise I would prefer to be on the land side. :)

We always choose port side as when in the docking area I don't want to see cranes and a lot of activity. On our last Caribbean we were docked 50% port and 50% starboard facing land. On our transatlantic this fall we'll probably be facing out to sea most of the time as we're sailing westbound, in port in the Mediterranean, who knows...

GN

It makes no difference to me. Some people just "prefer" one side - for no reason other than habit, I think. Now on a one-way cruise I would prefer to be on the land side. :)

I have only been on 2 other cruises and found myself on the port side both times!

So what's better...a port or starboard side cabin in the VA or VB category and why?

I take it that your talking about a Veranda Cabin sailing in the Caribbean. The prevailing wind is from the East so if you want to avoid the wind on your veranda going south choose a starboard cabin. If you want to avoid the wind going north choose a port cabin. If you get in a Hurricane it's a toss up. In our Panama Canal trip we had a starboard side veranda. It was perfect. No wind (on our veranda) going south in the carribean and no wind going north on the Pacific side.

I take it that your talking about a Veranda Cabin sailing in the Caribbean. The prevailing wind is from the East so if you want to avoid the wind on your veranda going south choose a starboard cabin. If you want to avoid the wind going north choose a port cabin. If you get in a Hurricane it's a toss up. In our Panama Canal trip we had a starboard side veranda. It was perfect. No wind (on our veranda) going south in the carribean and no wind going north on the Pacific side.

Yes, I'm still deciding whether to book a VA or a VB midship. I think there are 4 each on the Navigation and Upper Verandah decks. I couldn't find my direction out of a wet paper bag! It's a girl thing you know!

So you're saying to get a different cabin on each cruise leg? Sorry for being so dense...

You could book different cabins for each leg of the cruise but I don't think that was intended as an answer.

It really doesn't matter to us what side we're on. The times that it matters is if you are sailing in one direction and you want to do some serious sun worshipping on your veranda, even then it's just time of day when the sun hits. If it's a round trip back to the same port, that issue is mute.

I personally don't like being in port and seeing cranes and lots of activity, but on most cruises it's a toss up, even not knowing if the ship is going to back in or face forward, determining which side faces the dock.

BTW, I'd choose the VA midship on the veranda deck. Most B cabins are forward or aft.

GN

You could book different cabins for each leg of the cruise but I don't think that was intended as an answer.

It really doesn't matter to us what side we're on. The times that it matters is if you are sailing in one direction and you want to do some serious sun worshipping on your veranda, even then it's just time of day when the sun hits. If it's a round trip back to the same port, that issue is mute.

I personally don't like being in port and seeing cranes and lots of activity, but on most cruises it's a toss up, even not knowing if the ship is going to back in or face forward, determining which side faces the dock.

BTW, I'd choose the VA midship on the veranda deck. Most B cabins are forward or aft.

GN

Grannynurse,

I don't see VAs midship on the Veranda Deck on the Westerdam. I see 4 VAs midship on the Navigation Deck and 4 VBs midship on the Upper Verandah deck.

Archived