Pianos on the Oosterdam?

Brewhaha

No "real" pianos on HAL.

They're all those electronic keyboards encased in pseudo-Baby Grand piano cases - they can be found in the Crow's Nest, Piano Bar, Ocean Bar, Queen's Lounge and Vista Lounge (perhaps in the Vista Dining Room still?).

You'd probably have to get permission before sitting down to play - at least so that someone can help you to turn the thing on.

Probably a good idea considering how much it costs to tune a piano, how long it takes, and when would they find the time

Cunard has real pianos, including an antique instrument off Queen Mary(I) aboard QE2 which is still regularly used and maintained.

Consider how many are on each ship, how many ships there are and it's a logistical nightmare if they get out of tune...

Then what do they do Brian? Shut down the music in the Explorer's Lounge since the piano sounds like crap?

Having 2 ships is a LOT easier to maintain a few pianos on than 13 (soon to be 14)

It's really not as hard as all that to tune a piano. A practiced piano tech can do it in about half an hour. Also, it's a lot harder to knock a piano out of tune than most people think. On the other hand, with that many ships leaving from so many different ports, you'd have to have several piano techs around, or even one for each ship (maybe they'd volunteer--after all, it's a cruise!). Plus the cost of a grand piano of any size is pretty steep. Real pianos would sure be nice, but I guess we'll have to live with fake ones.

Then what do they do Brian? Shut down the music in the Explorer's Lounge since the piano sounds like crap?

Nah - they just ask us "Oldsters" to turn down our hearing-aids...

;)

Unless they get knocked over (God forbid!), pianos go out of tune very slowly. It would be no problem to have a piano tech come in every few months, at a "home" port for a season, to re-tune and adjust as necessary. That's probably what Cunard does.

HAL probably has just saved money on the instruments themselves, and they don't need the interaction of piano technicians, if they're electronic.

Seems I've seen lots of "grand" "cases" on the Vistas...I didn't realize they were all electronic! (although I didn't "peruse" them closely.....:D )

Unless they get knocked over (God forbid!), pianos go out of tune very slowly. It would be no problem to have a piano tech come in every few months, at a "home" port for a season, to re-tune and adjust as necessary. That's probably what Cunard does.

HAL probably has just saved money on the instruments themselves, and they don't need the interaction of piano technicians, if they're electronic.

Seems I've seen lots of "grand" "cases" on the Vistas...I didn't realize they were all electronic! (although I didn't "peruse" them closely.....:D )

One of the most pathetic things I've witnessed was a show on HAL (was it Paparazzi?) during which there was a bit with one of the cast members doing an Elton John impersonation - the "piano" was nothing more than a flimsy piano-shaped plywood box that was swaying across the stage - I thought for certain that the thing would simply collapse beneath the entertainer!

One of the most pathetic things I've witnessed was a show on HAL (was it Paparazzi?) during which there was a bit with one of the cast members doing an Elton John impersonation - the "piano" was nothing more than a flimsy piano-shaped plywood box that was swaying across the stage - I thought for certain that the thing would simply collapse beneath the entertainer!

To be sure, there's a huge difference between "stage" pianos (plywood box!!!) and the instrument that might be located in one of the lounges...designed to "stay put"! LOL! (Without the theatrics of Jerry Lee, etc.!!!)

Paul

Looking forward to perusing the Volendam in November and actually checking out the pianos on board(!)...Let's go hunting together, B!

Just curious, on several of our cruises, a pianist was an entertainer one evening. Did they also use an "electronic box" rather than a "real piano"? Having played on both a piano and an electronic keyboard, I would find it very difficult to switch from one to the other and to be able to get the loudness differences (between ppp and fff) on an electronic keyboard. Just wondering--don't mean to pick a fight. If the professional pianist we heard on the Maasdam in March was playing an electronic keyboard, he truly is a fantastic musician.

Archived