Vancouver Answers needed

We will be going to Vancouver for the first time when we cruise to Alaska on the VOS in Sept. My husband and I are going to be staying at the Pacific Palisades that we got on Hotwire. What is the hotel and area like? What are some of the transportaion options around it? Does anyone know if they have a shuttle from the airport or not? We will be getting to Vancouver around 1:00 PM on Thur., Sept 20.and will need transportation to the hotel. We would like to to to the Capilano Suspension Bridge and would like any recommendations of how to get there.

Thanks in advance to my replies to my many questions.:)

The Pacific Palisades is on Robson Street which is Vancouver's major shopping street with lots of restaurants as well. Stores stay open until at least 9:00pm every night. It is within walking distance to Stanley Park.

The hotel does not have a shuttle from the airport. A cab will be about $35. There is an airporter service but you won't save a lot for two people over the cab price. I believe VOS leaves from Ballantyne Pier so you will have to take a cab there as well. Do not confuse Ballantyne with the Canada Place cruise ship terminal which is closer to the downtown area.

You can take public transportation to Capilano Canyon Suspension Bridge. It is also a stop on the city tours and if its a clear day you could also go to Grouse Mountain at the same time for a great view of the city.

Check out this site for answers to most of your Vancouver questions

www.tourismvancouver.com

Go to Canada Place and buy an all day public transport card ($8 I think). Get the ferry across and get a bus to capalano suspension Bridge. From there you can get another bus up to Grouse mountain then another bus back then ferry back. Pretty good- all for $8. Leave early so you're not rushed. It's great day.

We hired a car and drove to Whistler. That was great also.

if you're not fond of riding city buses - you can easily rent a car at the airport - take yourself to the hotel - have all the freedom you want to go across the bridge to the north shore (where the capilano suspension bridge/treetops & grouse mountain are) and then either drop your car at the cruise terminal when you board (if you rent with national or alamo) or drop the car at the downtown offices & take a shuttle or cab (if you rent with any of the other car rental companies)

If you only have limited time in Vancouver I would definitely recommend a visit to Capilaon Suspension Bridge which is Vancouver's oldest attraction http://www.capbridge.com and then continue on up Capilaon Road to Grouse Mountain (provided it is a clear day) and ride the air tram to the top of Grouse mountain http://www.grousemountain.com for lots of fun activities including meeting 2 grizzly bears & several wolves, wonderful views, 2 films & more.

To reach these 2 attractions either use a taxi (expensive), take a tour (restrictive on time) or ride the city public transit system for $8. Get a bus outside your hotel headed to the Waterfront Station (most corner store s will sell you an all day transit pass for $8.) At the Water Front Station transfer to the Sea Bus which will take you accross the harbor (cheap harbor cruise) to Lonsdale Quay in North Vancouver. Here get the CApilano Road bus and get off when you get to the Suspension Bridge. When you have finished enjoying the bridge reboard the bus continuing up the hill to the end of the line which is the bottom station for the Grouse Mountian Air Tram. Once you are finished enjoying Grouse Mountian just get back on the city bus and retrace your steps.

Enjoy.

Thank you all for your very helpful replies. You have all given me a lot of "food for thought" so to speak as to what we can do. I appreciate y'all sending the websites to some of the places mentioned.

I am thinking that catching the seabus to get to the Capilano bus might work for us. Do you know what the schedule for the seabus and the bus to the bridge is? Also, what time does the transit bus stop picking up passengers?

I don't know how long it will take us to go thru customs and get checked into the hotel but since the Capilano Bridge is opened until 7:00, I feel like we could make it. I just want to be sure that once we get there that we can get back to the hotel without problems, etc. Grouse Mountain looks really nice as well. I am so sorry that our time and stay in Vancouver is limited to one short day. We want to pack it all in but I know there are too many places to see and things to do and we won't have the time on this trip.

I apologize in advance for my many questions, etc. I just always get a little nervous when going to a new place and want to have an idea of what to do and how to get there before we leave home. I really appreciate everybody's inputs. You have been very helpful. Please continue with your suggestions. Thanks.

I am thinking that catching the seabus to get to the Capilano bus might work for us. Do you know what the schedule for the seabus and the bus to the bridge is? Also, what time does the transit bus stop picking up passengers?

UGA Fan, use this link --> Translink Trip Planning to check out the schedule and times.

Type in From: "Waterfront Station" ; and To: "Capilano Suspension Bridge, Capilano Rd, North Vancouver". Then use the calendar below that to enter dates and time you'd like to leave for the best route and schedule.

It's a very easy trip. Here's something I posted earlier for someone else: --> directions to Cap Suspension Bridge

UGA Fan, use this link --> Translink Trip Planning to check out the schedule and times.

Type in From: "Waterfront Station" ; and To: "Capilano Suspension Bridge, Capilano Rd, North Vancouver". Then use the calendar below that to enter dates and time you'd like to leave for the best route and schedule.

It's a very easy trip. Here's something I posted earlier for someone else: --> directions to Cap Suspension Bridge

Thank you so much for your help and websites. I checked out the translink site but I couldn't pull up a schedule for Sept. 20. Guess I will have to wait until closer to the time we go. Your directions to the Capilano Bridge was helpful.

What would be the best way to get to the Waterfront Station from the Pacific Palisades Hotel?

Thanks.:)

Archived