Has the Level of Service Declined?

Matt2000

I think service began to decline when they started with automatic gratuities. We have cruised before and after they started doing this. I know you can choose to have the gratuities removed and do it yourself, but most passegers just let the cruisline add them to the bill. The staff know they will get their tips and obviously are not working to the same standard we had come to expect. Most still work more hours in a day the most of us. It is hard work.

Dayna

Dayna,

I totally agree with you. We cruised before the automatic gratuities and still had excellent service even when we got a great bargain on the cruise

For instance, 7 day Destiny balcony to southern Caribbean including air to San Juan for $1100pp. And this was BEFORE 9/11. So that did not affect our price. This is why I don't like the automatic tipping. By the way, before I get slammed, we always leave our automatic tips and tip additional.

I just feel that it even changes the happy attitude that the waiters all seemed to have had before. Our cabins have always been very very clean.

But last year on the Miracle ( which did change when we got a new room steward) our cabin had dirty counter tops ( dust and rings from cups and glasses), a hair in the amenities basket ( nose or eyelash) and a drawer that was full of the previous cruisers papers including some with their credit card number. I did write to CCL about this because had this been a new cruiser in this cabin, they would have been very disappointed. We, on the other hand, have been on many CCL cruises and know that this was way out of the ordinary.

Our first experience with the auto-tipping was on the Victory in 2003. We had very poor service in the dining room, and I thought here we go, it's because of the auto-tipping. Next cruise was on the Glory and service was excellent -- no complaints whatsoever. Then came our Legend cruise in December. Our room steward was very good, but our waiter was not. Last month on the Triumph, service was again excellent -- maybe the best we've ever had (both wait team and room steward) on any ship or any cruiseline. Unfortunately, I'm seeing a pattern here . . . . :eek:

Customer service is lacking in all aspects of today, not just hotels and resteraunts.

I have noticed that some travelers today expect to be treated like kings and queens (when they are just normal people) and treat those who are serving and or taking care of them like servants.

I dont think has declined as much as the type..old days was Continental Service..white gloves...sides served from covered silved dishes..more silver on the table to start. there were busboys, just to fill and remove..now it is all on the plate, asst waiter and head waiter, share the duties. I remember tipping the busboys separate from the waiter/staff. Cabin Service is a hit/miss thing..altho to a good standard, as I sail solo, I don't require much looking after. But am usually one to tip steward more for extra attention.

I don't think there is any difference with service from when we started cruiseing. Even different cruise lines are very close unless you pay big bucks for some of the lines. It wounders me what some people expect when they talk about service. Its the luck of the draw who you get for a waiter and room stewert and also how you treat people. We get the same kind of service today as we did back in 95 and now we pay $500 less for a balcony then we did when we started cruiseing. We must be lucky but what alot of people complain about is no big thing to us. Some people think they should have a personal wiper following them around. JMO:D

I don't think it is the auto tipping. We are one of those people who pushed for auto tipping on the our comment cards. To many stewards were getting stiffed by folks who drank up their tips before they left the ship. There used to be a joke about all the left over food in the formal dining room on the last night...because people did not show up to avoid tipping the wait staff.

If service on Carnival (I can only speak about them) has gone down, it is more likely because Carnival has increased the number of cabins each steward is responsible for and increased the number of tables in the formal dining room each wait staff is responsible for.

I don't see the service declining on Carnival as much as the clientele.

LHP. I certainly agree with your final statement. Much can be seen here on CC where the most concern is about smuggled booze, expected dress standards, cheapest prices and the critical alnalysis of their cruise experience. This is most prevalent on the Carnival board.

As much as I like the way they do the tipping now on you sign and sail card, I have equated the lesser service with the start of this transaction. Perhaps the service personal don't think they have to work so hard for the tips any longer since everyone (or almost everyone) is automatically charged for the full amount.

Is this the primary reason for what I perceive to be a decline?

Matt, I havent read this whole thread, but I can say that I am leading a huge customer satisfaction improvement project at work, and I've done an extensive amount of studying on customer satisfaction in general ... and from the research I've studied, there is a general trend in customer [dis]satisfaction across the board. There are many reasons/root causes for these trends from the way employers handle employees, to demographics of customer service representatives (in this case stewards and waiters), to survey mechanics, and yes - even including price. The fact is that every business is out to make a profit, and while considering new "ideas" profitability usually takes lead over customer satisfaction (unless the the "idea" or new business model causes a decline in cust sat to such a degree the business looses profitability it probably goes unrecognized).

The more I study the phenomenon of customer satisfaction, the more I am convinced that society is "accepting" a lesser degree of satisfaction - and it's those of us, who remember what real satisfaction is all about, that can create a comparison ... I imagine this has gone on for generations - as the times change so do we (the collective we).

I didnt start cruising until 2005, so I have nothing to compare to - but you can be sure, that if I felt "that" dissatisfied - I would not be cruising again. I did have a bad experience on the Holiday, and I'll never cruise her again - but it wasnt bad enough to tarnish cruising overall!! I had a wonderful experience on the Ecstasy that has kept me addicted!! :)

Sorry, I could talk all day on the topic of customer satisfaction and service levels. All that to say, that perhaps service has declined - but there are many who will debate that service hasnt declined - it's all personal and because we all have different personality types and expectations, satisfaction comes in many different suits!

Wow, thanks for all the replies. Some of you have offered some real insight into the reasons behind this "decline" in service. I guess I was spoiled as a kid and got used to the top notch service, but like someone else said, my parents were paying for it. I now have to pay for my own cruises, so at my age I've decided that I don't require that level of service... yet :) Of course as I get older I will want to be pampered more(that's why I work so hard now) and will go with the luxury lines.

I know most people seem to love these huge megaships, but I like the smaller ships better. It is much more personal, you see the same people(other cruisers) over and over and get to know your fellow passengers, as well as more interaction with the staff.

Hopefully the decline in service will hit a wall where it can't get any worse. I wouldn't mind seeing prices rise just a little to ensure this and to keep the "riff-raff" off the ships---you know, those darned rednecks LOL

Being a Redneck, Hillbilly, Riff- Raff from Kentucky!

I truly resent your last sentence it's people like you, that think their better then others that make me sick!

I drive a truck for a living and I am Thankful everyday for what I have and can afford to do. I am glad I don't think this way about others! I treat everyone with respect and dignity like I wish to be treated.

I hope our paths never cross!

I am sorry this just hit me in a bad way.

Oh, I'd say the level of service has definitely declined. What used to be vacations for the upper and upper-middle class can now be afforded by almost anyone, which in a way is a good thing, but also a bad thing. The "class" level has gone WAY down nowadays. I see people who think the Holiday Inn is an upscale hotel on board these days and they don't know how to behave properly--jeans in the dining room, flip flops, you know what I mean? I sometimes wish such trashy people couldn't afford the same vacation as I so that I wouldn't have to put up with them. Or since this seems to be the way now in order for the cruise companies to be able to afford their big new ships, at least bring back classes again. That way the civilized people could dress up and eat in the 1st class dining rooms and not have to witness the bare feet of some of their fellow passengers who should be in the 2nd class eateries. They just want an all-you-can-eat buffet anyway(re:the pack of wolves post).

My previous Post goes for you also!

I don't know if cruises will every hit the "wall" you mention.

First, I think the bottom of service has already been reached. Check out EasyCruise sometime. Basically they offer you a hostel with all extra service paid out of your pocket.

This is not a bad thing in itself. You pay for your meals, but they are docked at all mealtimes! You are suppose to go exploring and find that great little place to eat at that no-one else knows about except the locals. You go find your entertainment ashore (the boat does not leave before midnight) but you don't end up complaining of seeing the same routines on you last four cruises.

I don't think it can go lower. But even then everyone on board seems to be having fun. And that is the main thing any cruise whatever the cost must supply!

Oh, I'd say the level of service has definitely declined. What used to be vacations for the upper and upper-middle class can now be afforded by almost anyone, which in a way is a good thing, but also a bad thing. The "class" level has gone WAY down nowadays. I see people who think the Holiday Inn is an upscale hotel on board these days and they don't know how to behave properly--jeans in the dining room, flip flops, you know what I mean? I sometimes wish such trashy people couldn't afford the same vacation as I so that I wouldn't have to put up with them.

You answered your own problem, Crystal, Regent, SilverSeas, Seabourn and aside from these cruise lines you can always just rent a crewed mega-yacht have costs that run about $4,000 to $7,000 per person per week. You will find few of the riff-raff on these cruises. Mind you, if you have watched Keeping up Appearances you know you are not safe anywhere. :)

Well, I'm also a hillbilly, being from WV originally, part of a blue collar family. But, my Mom taught me manners, to be courteous and social graces. Because I'm grown and she's now gone, I haven't forgotten or thrown out those values. Rules and expectations apply to us all. We don't get to choose what rules apply to us individually. Thankfully, my kids and grandkids have learned how to act in public as well. If the rules say no saving of loungers around the pool, then don't. If the minimum standard of dress for an occaision is sportcoat and tie, then darn it! you're no exception. If the rules are don't carry booze onboard, then don't do it. If you find service and the nicer things of a cruise are being deminished, then look at the behavior of the passengers. The cruiseline or any other business will provide the exact minimum of what the customer will accept.

ECP. You don't have to go to those lines you mentioned to get better service, and food. You failed to mention Celebrity, HAL, Pricess and even Royal Caribbean.

Even 1st class 5 star restaurants around here, which used to not let you in unless you were wearing a coat & tie(Commander's, Brennan's, etc) have relaxed their rules some. Some think it's great, but I still think it's nice to be able to get dressed up every once in a while. I enjoy it.

Reminds my of my first date with Debbie. I had dressed up for the date, but not too formal as it was a first date, and who wants to appear that stiff?

How the restaurant chosen at random turned out to be a 5 star one, Debbie dressed up was a knock-out so no problems for her, but they insisted that I wear a tie with my sports jacket (luckily dark and one colour, with that special folded cloth in the breast pocket. At-least they were a free loans, and no loud fuss was raised.

ECP. You don't have to go to those lines you mentioned to get better service, and food. You failed to mention Celebrity, HAL, Pricess and even Royal Caribbean.

My impression is even these lines are not up to the full level of service he experienced in the 60's. And I would not expect them to have to supply that level, they would still lose money.

Carnival cruises run between $300-$1000 for their basic services.

Your listed lines maybe $1000-$2500 for their basic services.

But to deliver all he wants is real expensive. You need to double the crew to passenger ratio at-least. What he wants will cost $3000-$5000 per person per week just to make a profit on the basic level of service he demands.

***** I Think so at-least ****

A veteran of over 30 years of cruises with 48 under my [wider] belt, I'll agree that service is not what it was 30 years ago. But it is still very good, just not quite as professional. This HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH AUTO-TIPS, but everything to do with supply and demand. Today Carnival alone has 2 or 3 times as many ships as existed 30 yrs. ago. And every one of them is massively larger than the largest ship of old. Other lines also have expanded both in ships and berths. Plus there are cruise lines we never/seldom hear about cruising Asia with more ships than traveled the world years ago. Like STAR LINES, a huge cruiseline. All competing for workers from the same 3rd world labor pool. They simply cannot be as well trained or as professional as past. Plus prices are very low causing each worker to have more duties, i.e. more tables to wait, more rooms to clean. We can't pay one third what we used to pay and expect the same staffing, just can't be.

Service is still terrific and considering todays cruise value and ships, cruising is as good as ever. Some knock the cruise food these days. Same deal, each ship is now serving thousands of MORE MEALS PER DAY than any ship served in the past. And the food runs from good to very good and sometimes excellent. Not 5 Star but then only a handful of land restaurants are truly 5 Star and they only serve thousands of meals per year, not per day.

If all was like it used to be, I might have 10 cruises instead of 48.

Dan

I took my first cruise as an adult almost 10 years ago. Perhaps it wasn't the best place to start - for comparitive purposes anyway - as it was a leg of the QE2's 1998 round the world cruise. We liked it so much we went back the next year and took the next leg. Cunard has a class system, and we were in the Queen's Grill. Pretty much everyone we spoke to then said "that's the best there is." They were right. It was.

I thought then that if you were too tired to walk to the pool, they'd pick you up and carry you: the service was that attentive. And yup, it was pricey; about $1000 a day for two, in 1997 and 1998 dollars. Then again, you started the day with caviar on your eggs and a mimosa. Dinner was pretty much anything you wanted, whether it was on the menu or not. No request, large or small, went unanswered. A Brazilian lady sitting next to us at dinner wore emerald earrings that cost more than our house and we met a duchess by the pool one day. We didn't know she was a duchess until she introduced us to her husband at dinner, the duke. It really is a different world. Or at least it was: people would tell you, with a straight face, that taking the full world cruise, at a cost of $100,000 to $200,000 PER PERSON, was cheaper than having a winter home. Maybe their winter home...

We've been on 15 more cruises since and while I'm amazed at the high levels of quality sometimes found at the ever-lower prices, I'm also disappointed when - as it was last month on Holland-America's MAASDAM - I see just how bad it can be. Plenty of things went wrong, but worse was the staff's more-or-less universal inability or unwillingness to fix the problems. I'm not saying they didn't want to, but either because the sheer volume of problems overwhelmed their ability to address them or the constant complaints caused them to shut down, they didn't seem able to do much except say "sorry." I never saw a more dispirited crew. Maybe it was a one-off. I'll have a better idea at Christmas when we go to Mexico on her sistership, the RYNDAM.

In just two years since our last HAL cruise, we saw a precipitous decline in standards of food and service. We have been happy, by and large, on Celebrity but can't blind ourselves to the condition of some of the ships (GALAXY and MERCURY, in particular) but - by contrast and despite looking kinda tatty - the service, food, and overall experience was great on both ships. Being assigned good staff - as we almost always are - can cover a multitude of other sins.

I like Crystal but don't like paying Queen's Grill prices to get the same food, service, and experience (everything except the cabin you sleep in) as everyone else on board: real estate isn't worth that much to me when I'm renting, I guess.

And I don't like the Queen's Grill on the new QUEEN MARY. Again, you're in a nicer cabin and a nicer dining room, but otherwise the rest of the ship is so much better that the lower grades on QE2 that it doesn't seem worth the stiff extra fare.

I miss the old CARONIA: she was small enough to be friendly, the cruises were long enough to draw an experienced group of passengers, the food was wonderful and single-seating, and the prices were reasonable. Most of the cabins were tiny, but there's always a trade-off.

The best combination - lately - was having a big suite on Holland-America's AMSTERDAM on a South America cruise. It was long enough (three weeks) to be a real getaway and to make some real friends. The service to the passengers in the suites was top-notch, and the price differential was not so great as to think the extra money a suite cost was indeed well worth it. Sadly, I see those same suites selling now for two and three times what we paid then (in 2003.)

I have two more cruises booked: one - as above - on HAL and a transatlantic crossing booked for next spring on Celebrity. Unless either reassures me the standards of service I expect and enjoy haven't fallen further, I think we'll take a break. We can't afford to go as often as we have been if we need to pay Seabourn or Regent prices to enjoy ourselves.

In the long run, I wonder if my experience won't be mirrored by others: we caught the bug, so to speak, ten years ago and rode it while it was good but like so much else, it's a lot less good today. Price matters, but it seems unless you pay an awful lot more now than you did just a few years back, the experience has been so degraded as to make it a poor value whatever the cost.

I guess I was spoiled as a kid and got used to the top notch service, but like someone else said, my parents were paying for it. I now have to pay for my own cruises, so at my age I've decided that I don't require that level of service... yet :) ...Hopefully the decline in service will hit a wall where it can't get any worse. I wouldn't mind seeing prices rise just a little to ensure this and to keep the "riff-raff" off the ships---you know, those darned rednecks LOL

If you want to get away from the "riff raff" :rolleyes: you can; take a more upscale line. You have indicated that you're not willing to pay for that yourself now that mom and dad aren't paying the tab, though. :p

Without a doubt, service is not the same any more. Why you ask? Well it is very obvious. It's all due to global warming! The ice bergs are melting. The oceans are rising. Because of the rising waters, the ships have farther to go so the costs of getting there are going up. When costs go up, what do corporations do? They cut expenses. How do they cut expenses? They cut services. There .................. now you know why.

Got any other problems you want me to explain?

Without a doubt, service is not the same any more. Why you ask? Well it is very obvious. It's all due to global warming! The ice bergs are melting. The oceans are rising. Because of the rising waters, the ships have farther to go so the costs of getting there are going up. When costs go up, what do corporations do? They cut expenses. How do they cut expenses? They cut services. There .................. now you know why.

In other words, yet ANOTHER thing that is George W. Bush's fault. :D

We started cruising in 1991 and paid about double then we do now for an outside cabin verses a balcony now. The midnight buffetts were 2 dining rooms long and incredible! They are not worth looking at now to me. (after 20 cruises I probably wouldn't look at them anyway:rolleyes: ) BUT I can cruise more now and in better cabins since the price went down and I LOVE it! I love the people that now go since before you really had to have a little money behind you or spend every dime you saved (me) just to get on board but now you get a much more diverse crowd and the cruises seem more fun and more laidback which I like too. The elegance can be nice but I prefer it a little more laid back as it is now. There is deffinately a difference in the things offered but I have also noticed that the price is going up a bit and our last cruise had the best service ever but I think I just got lucky with a great cabin steward and waiter! :) Debbie

Archived