Dolphin Cove/Dunn's River Falls

jgh1204

My wife and I did this excursion booked through Carnival.

Dolphin Cove - Touch

terrible! Lasted less than 10 minutes. They line you up, the dolphin swims by and you are supposed to reach out and touch it. They do this twice. Then one at a time you stand at the edge of the dock and they take your picture with the dolphin with their camera only. They want $16 for the picture.

The lunch was mediocre at best.

Dunn's River - kind of dangerous. Too many people on the falls at one time. My wife fell and dislocated her shoulder. Talk about an adventure. Had to be rushed to a local clinic for xrays and get the shoulder popped back into place. The guide was not helping us up the spot where she fell.

We were about 45 minutes late back to the ship. Because we booked through Carnival, they held the ship for us. We did buy the travel insurance through Carnival so hopefully we will be reimbursed for the medical expenses, $500 so far and she will probably need physical therapy.

This is definitely NOT a level 2 effort level.

OK..I've already posted a couple of threads about this topic.

1st Question: When did you go

2nd Question: You did the touch, not the swim..why not?? I've signed up for the swim for my Sept. cruise, but very disappointed we're not allowed to do the dorsal pull and foot push! Did you see anyone doing the swim? Do you think that one would be better?

3rd Question: How were the other "attractions" at Dolphin Cove?

4th Question: What kind of food do they offer?

5th Question: How was the 2hr. bus ride there and back?!?

The swim looked a little more interesting than the touch. We did the touch to save a little money. We just got back on the 15th.

The food was Jamaican bbq. Pork and chicken. For jerk, I thought it extremely bland. Black beans and rice, cole slaw, pasta salad were the sides. The buffet came with the excursion.

We went on the jungle trail. It was about 100 yards long. They have about 3 stations. One with iguanas, another with parrots and I cannot remember the other. The people manning these stops looked extremely bored and they gave no information about the animals.

The 2 hour bus ride there was ok. You get to see a lot of Jamaica, but because the bus ride is so long, you are a bit rushed.

They are doing a lot of construction on the road between Montego Bay and Ocho Rios, so it is a solid 2 hours.

We road in a private car back to the bus as they sent the bus back to the ship without us. The tour company arranged the car for us.

For $123 per person, I was very disappointed in the quality of the tour. I would feel the same way if my wife had not gotten hurt.

I did not see the price list for Dolphine cove, but FYI, the admission to Dunn's river was only $15.

I know people who have done the encounters/swims at Xcaret and they were happy. So you might consider changing your dolphin excursion to there.

Archived