Cabin #vf 5054 On Oosterdam-will We Like It?

wizard-of-roz

We're booked in this cabin, for April, 2008. Will we like the layout? Any information about it would be greatly appreciated.

We love the Oosterdam, I swear if they put me in "steerage", I'd probably go.....but since last time our Cabin was not such a great one.....It would be nice to have a better one on the next cruise!:p

And, since we seem to be crusing about 4 times a year.....$$$$$ can be an issue, when booking! :o

We were assigned 5054 on the Oosterdam a couple of years ago. It is a cabin configured for handicapped individuals. The door is wider than the regular cabins and there bathroom has a flat floor with a stainless steel grate in the floor that separates the shower area from the rest of the bathroom, so there is no tub. The bathroom has the extra hardware, handles, etc. and there is a fold down seat in the shower area-which is enclosed by curtain.

There is a ramp leading out to the verandah and again outside the verandah door to the verandah floor. We found storage/closet space to be very limited, and had to resort the storage bins under the foot of the beds (this is a common complaint about the VF and other similar cabins). The cabin is located in the forward "diagonal notch" area of the port side of the ship and is decent size. We were surprised to be in an HC cabin, as were not in need of such a cabin. Hope this helps & wishing you a great cruise!

We're booked in this cabin, for April, 2008. Will we like the layout? Any information about it would be greatly appreciated.

We love the Oosterdam, I swear if they put me in "steerage", I'd probably go.....but since last time our Cabin was not such a great one.....It would be nice to have a better one on the next cruise!:p

And, since we seem to be crusing about 4 times a year.....$$$$$ can be an issue, when booking! :o

The space between the bed and the wall is still pretty tight (you can see the scooter/wheelchair "scars" on the wall) but I think you will find it much better than your previous HC cabin. I didn't scrape the wall with my Mom's transport chair.

Thanks for the information....I may have to re-think this cabin.....It sounds like, once again, my DH may have to leave the wheel chair outside the cabin.

I don't think HAL has thought about the use of the chairs inside the cabin space. I'm so surprised, since a lot of their cruisers are wheelchair bound. And, in order to be comfortable they have to go to the expense of renting a "suite" instead of a regular handicapped room.

It would be nice to have ample space to use the chair throughout the entire cabin...like our cabin on Princess....It was actully a mini-suite (the price was no different, than renting a regular "inside" cabin) and gave us lots of room.

Thanks for the information....I may have to re-think this cabin.....It sounds like, once again, my DH may have to leave the wheel chair outside the cabin.

I don't think HAL has thought about the use of the chairs inside the cabin space. I'm so surprised, since a lot of their cruisers are wheelchair bound. And, in order to be comfortable they have to go to the expense of renting a "suite" instead of a regular handicapped room.

It would be nice to have ample space to use the chair throughout the entire cabin...like our cabin on Princess....It was actully a mini-suite (the price was no different, than renting a regular "inside" cabin) and gave us lots of room.

Roz, have you called ships services? I know that they can usually answer some specific room questions particularly for handicapped access and can even provide layous or photos of the room. I am sure they'd be happy to help you.

Hold on Roz.....I think I can find out for you. I will get back to you as soon as I find out.

While we are waiting.....what is the width of your husband's chair?

The seat is 24 inches.....add a few inches (I would think about 6 inches on each side), I'm assuming the chair is about 36 inches.

That is about 14" wider than my mom's transport chair.....it might be tight.

I hope to find out soon how much space there is at the end of the beds.

You could rent a transport chair for the week which easily fits....but it would add expense to your cruise budget. They could store your chair while on the ship.

My DH will not change chairs......he has become accustomed to the feel.....and I don't dare change that....When it comes to his comfort zone....I won't cross the line!!!

We will make things work, no matter what.....after all it is a cruise:)

Sean: Once you've been in Cabin #4090, where there was no more than 15" between the bed and the wall (just enough room for a person to walk) certainly not room for a wheelchair...30" sounds like a lot!

There still will not be room for him to wheel his chair past the bed....he'll have to walk to the veranda...

The cabin is a bit wider and a lot longer.....with a balcony.

Thanks for the information....we're booked and we'll be happy!:)

Sean: Once you've been in Cabin #4090, where there was no more than 15" between the bed and the wall (just enough room for a person to walk) certainly not room for a wheelchair...30" sounds like a lot!

There still will not be room for him to wheel his chair past the bed....he'll have to walk to the veranda...

The cabin is a bit wider and a lot longer.....with a balcony.

Thanks for the information....we're booked and we'll be happy!:)

I like your "can do" attitude. :)

Have a great cruise!

Also , I will have the one just like it on the other side of the ship in February. I will measure it myself again then.

Sean: How great! We won't be boarding until April....will you please post and let us know how you liked the cabin...the good/the bad and the especially good!!!!!

Thanks so much,

Roz

Actually, I can tell you a little right now because I had 4132 which is at the aft bumpouts and the same size as 5054.

The extra angle by the balcony is really nice, adding space. There are 2 arm chairs, no couch.

It is pretty roomy by the bathroom. You may have to (depending on the size of the wheelchair) have the bathroom door open before moving the chair into the area, but that is something you can only tell when the time comes.

It works really well having the entry door come in from the side as it does in these cabins. Basically no hallway in the cabin and no turn necessary to enter because the public hallway is a straight shot into the room.

Any other questions?

• 2 months later...

We have stayed in rooms 4132 and 4131. While it s a tight fit at the bottom of the bed, we didnt have much trouble. My fiance is a quad and has a manual wheelchair and its about 26" wide. We had most of the furniture taken out of the room. The deck was tricky but we managed fine. The bathroom was fine. Any other questions, please ask.

• 3 years later...

Hello friends - Does anyone have a picture of Cabin 4090 on the Oosterdam? I know it's a wheelchair-accessible cabin, and I hear it's pretty small. Is there a couch? We don't need this type of cabin, but that's what we've been assigned. I'm sure it will work out fine. We're thrilled to be going! Many thanks.

Hello friends - Does anyone have a picture of Cabin 4090 on the Oosterdam? I know it's a wheelchair-accessible cabin, and I hear it's pretty small. Is there a couch? We don't need this type of cabin, but that's what we've been assigned. I'm sure it will work out fine. We're thrilled to be going! Many thanks.

I do not have any descriptions but do have a couple of photos of 2 sister ships to Oosterdam. Just click on the photos to see them full sized.

H 4090 Westerdam

sm-H-4090.jpg--

sm-H-4090-2.jpg

And 2 photos of a non HC stateroom same layout without the sofa so you can see the size difference.

HH 4061

sm-Jersey42_Noordam_4061_A.jpg--sm-Jersey42_Noordam_4061_B.jpg

The best I can do for the Oosterdam is to have you go to H 4120 : http://abqreunion2008.com/Oosterdam/index.html

Joanie

Our first cabin was HH 4061.......In order for us to get dressed [at the same time] we had to move the table from a horizontal position to a vertical position.......It was funny to watch. Thank goodness the table swiveled.

These handicapped cabins are really a joke. The wheelchair could not be kept in the cabin. We had to keep it outside by the elevator and my DH would hold on to the walls to maneuver around.

Then we had Cabin #5054.....Wow! What a difference. Lots of room in the cabin and on the patio. I would book this one again, easily. It's more money but so worth it.

There is no couch, something our favorite cabin on the Sapphire and Diamond offer. Along with nicer amenities.

Archived