I am terrible at packing - suggestions??

kiraryker

Last cruise, I used 2 gallon zip lock bags. I got the store brand at my local supermarket. I put clothes in and then sat on them to get the air out. It left lots of space and also gets less messy if the airline searches your bags.:D

I used to use the space bags but found a hint on these boards to use the Ziplock or Hefty zip 2- to 2-1/2 gal bags instead. Much, much cheaper and we still pack the bags the same, roll out the air and pack them in our luggage. When we unpack our clothes are as wrinkle free as they were in the more expensive space bags.

Dianne

That's a good idea!

I used to use the space bags but found a hint on these boards to use the Ziplock or Hefty zip 2- to 2-1/2 gal bags instead. Much, much cheaper and we still pack the bags the same, roll out the air and pack them in our luggage. When we unpack our clothes are as wrinkle free as they were in the more expensive space bags.

Dianne

I think that sounds like a good idea too! But how much do bags help your clothes stay unwrinkled. I normally fold everything about perfect or roll some of the clothes and they look about the same when I unpack as when I packed them. I would like to try ziplock bags out my next cruise.

Thanks,

Cassandra

I think that sounds like a good idea too! But how much do bags help your clothes stay unwrinkled. I normally fold everything about perfect or roll some of the clothes and they look about the same when I unpack as when I packed them. I would like to try ziplock bags out my next cruise.

Thanks,

Cassandra

They don't prevent wrinkles at all, in fact in my experience it will cause a few small ones. I only use them for underwear, socks, swimwear, nightwear, etc. Things that either don't wrinkle or that it doesn't matter if they wrinkle. Instead of rolling or folding over the socks I lay them flat when packing so they will lay flatter. When packing to return home put the dirty clothes in them.

Wow thanks for the ideas!! Another question - do any of you take some sort of cooler for your room - do you just put it in your suitcase??

and about your formal wear - if you put them in a garment bag do you check that bag or pack it in a larger suitcase or carry it on so they don't get wrinkled??

My wife and I have over packed for both of our cruises so far. We plan to cut it down a little for the next one. We tried to make a list soon after we got back home to try and help with what we didn't use. My wife take two suitcases and a carry-on. I have a suitcase, garment bag, and a carry-on. I would rather over pack and bring home clothes we didn't use than to under pack and have to do laundry on the ship. I have read there are a fair amount of people who sail planning to do laundry while on the ship. That might be fine for some people, but my wife and I don't want any part of doing laundry while on vacation. So if we have to we will continue to over pack.

What do you all put in your carry on? I was thinking:

swimsuit/coverup/flip flops

outfit for dinner/shoes/

toiletries

travel docs

meds

All in all, that looks like my carry on needs to be fairly good size. I was wanting to use a carry on other than luggage (like a tote bag) but I'm thinking I need luggage-type now. What do you carry as your carry on, and is it a pain to keep up with? How long do you have to lug it around?

What do you all put in your carry on? I was thinking:

swimsuit/coverup/flip flops

outfit for dinner/shoes/

toiletries

travel docs

meds

All in all, that looks like my carry on needs to be fairly good size. I was wanting to use a carry on other than luggage (like a tote bag) but I'm thinking I need luggage-type now. What do you carry as your carry on, and is it a pain to keep up with? How long do you have to lug it around?

One of my carry on's was a small rolling bag. I'm not sure what size but it's the small one you get with most luggage.

I'm really bad about it too, but have made many efforts to minimize. I am [crossing fingers] hoping to get us out of the house Saturday with a backpack each [as our personal item], a rolling garment bag, large suitcase and 2 carry-ons.

At the beginning of the week I had 7 pairs of flip flops packed, but decided I would suck it up and my flip flops didn't have to match perfectly. I changed out some of my day outfits so that they matched the one or 2 pairs of flips flops I'm brining.

DH is wearing the same suit for both formal nights [we're on Destiny BTW] and a different shirt and tie for each night. He's bringing a pair of khakis for 2 polos and an additional pair of black pants. I am doing the same thing. A skirt and 2 shirts and a pair of pants for 2 shirts.

I bought small plastic bottles for my lotion, body wash, etc. and I'm packing small bottles of shampoo and conditioner. We usually take our own shower bag, but we are doing one together so we aren't duplicating items such as toothpaste, floss, etc.

Now if I could just figure out something about his big ass feet. His shoes take up so much room!

.... I had 7 pairs of flip flops packed....

Now if I could just figure out something about his big ass feet. His shoes take up so much room!

Lol~This was my problem too on our Feb cruise...:eek: I think I ended up taking more shoes that him, but of course his took up more room than mine!;)

My wife and I have over packed...but my wife and I don't want any part of doing laundry while on vacation. So if we have to we will continue to over pack.

I like this attitude.:D I mean I'd love to take less, but I sure don't want to wash laundry, :eek: but I might take advantage of the laundry service special!!!!;)

Wow thanks for the ideas!! Another question - do any of you take some sort of cooler for your room - do you just put it in your suitcase??

and about your formal wear - if you put them in a garment bag do you check that bag or pack it in a larger suitcase or carry it on so they don't get wrinkled??

Some ships/cabins have refrigerators that are cool but not cold but not all of them do. I bought a collapsible cooler that fit nicely on top of my clothes in the suitcase.

I put my formal dresses in the garment bag packed in individual dry cleaner bags. We check our cabin for our luggage early and unpack and hang them ASAP. We drive to the port so I leave the garment bag flat until we check it and that helps some.

I like the idea of space bags, or ziploc, but my mom used them once. Her suitcase weighted 65 lbs. We had to do some adjusting so that she didn't have to pay extra to check her suitcase at the airline.

DH and I take 1 large suitcase, 1 garment bag, and 2 carryons. We always pack pants with 2 different shirts and try to go with minimal shoes. He also packs 2 different shirts and ties for his suit. Our last cruise we had to pay the extra $25 for being over the weight limit for the airlines.

Thanks,

Cassandra

DH & I take about 4 cruises a year and have amassed matching t-shirts from the ports we have visited. We enjoy wearing those shirts on our cruises for port days as well as daytime wear on sea days. (Helps us find each other in a crowd.:) LOL.

I fold our t-shirts and place each set of our matching shirts in a large zip lock and then squeeze the air out as I zip it up. I lay these bags flat on the botton of our suitcase then pack other items on top. I do the same procedure for most of our sports wear shorts as well.

Formal wear and casual shirts and tops are put on hangers and placed inside individual plastic dry cleaner bags. Those items go on top before I close the suitcase.

Since I started this method of packing we have had very few wrinkles in our clothes when we unpack and unpacking is so much easier! The few wrinkles we have found usually hang out once our clothes are put in the closet onboard. Those that don't get a quick shot of Downy Wrinkle Release and their history.

Dianne

Dianne

Yep...I've used both and prefer the ziplocs too. The space travel bags are an expensive gimmick, IMHO.

When I pack I always fold once and then roll tight. There's SO MUCH more room in your suitcase when you roll your clothes. Also, they dont wrinkled as bad.

I used one suitcase for a 2 week cruise and had alot of clothes with me. Shoes fit in there as well. Then I had my carry-on.

Also, the roll is a great way to fold towels in your linen closets at home! ;)

As for the suits and dresses, we use a suiter and it gets checked.

Here is the plan - 2 adults, 7 day Destiny cruise - 1 large and 2 carry on's or do you each bring your own?? About how much does everyone pack?? I hate to overpack but I think I'd hate to be missing something more???

After packing, remove half the stuff, most of it you won't wear. If you are flying, you need to keep your luggage at or under 50 Lbs or you will be charged a high penality.

For the guy: One shirt per day for 7 days, These could be Polo shirts. These shirts you can recycle or wear again on other days. 2 pairs of shorts, one of these shorts could be a Nike Swimming short, extra light but that could be worn around the ship or in ports with pockets, 2 pairs of dress pants and 2 White dress shirts with 2 different color ties for each formal nights. The tennis shoes you wear while travelling and a pair of dress shoes. Socks, underware and 2 white t-shirts for formal night. Thats about it for the guy. This leaves room for what ever you want to bring. I would take 2 Luggages, his and hers plus one carry-on for your electronics and medical items.

If flying in a day ahead of time, just buy your shampoo/conditioners and toiletries there when you arrive to keep the luggages weight issue under the flying limits.

Fred

Archived