Dover Question

Will be cruising on 09/22/04 from Dover after a few days stay in London. We will find our own transportation to Dover- either train or bus, but would like to arrive in Dover early to see the Castle and Cliffs. My question is - does NCL let you check your luggage early and then go do a tour and come back to board the ship? Or is there a place we could leave our luggage in Dover? We will have 2 large suitcases plus 2 carry ons I think as it is a 15 day transatlantic cruise. Any one have any info on Dover, or the best way to arrive from London I would appreciate it. We are staying at the Thistle Victoria in London-which will make train or bus transportation quite easy. Thanks. J.

We recently flew into Gatwick and sailed out of Dover, however we rented a car and visited friends in England first, and stayed in Canterbury because it was on the way to Dover, before driving on to Dover. The morning of the cruise, we toured the castle and warrooms on our own, before continuing on to the ship.

Because we had to get from Gatwick to Bristol and then Dover, renting the car for a week was about 1/2 the price than taking the bus or train.

Hertz has a dropoff location about 2 miles from the Dover ship terminal, so I dropped my wife off with the luggage at the terminal, and asked a taxi to follow me to the Hertz location so he could take me back.

We noticed other passengers that checked their luggage and took tours of the castle, which is about 20 minutes from the terminal. Don't miss seeing the castle, especially the wartunnels, which are much much better than Churchill's War Rooms in London. And as a bonus, you get great shots of your ship from the cliffs.

I just created a new travel webpage which includes some photos of the War Rooms. However, we went on different cruises than you.

Here it is. http://ettel.*****.com

Thank you so much for this information. I think we will take the train to Dover eary Wed morning and now I know we can drop off our luggage early. Then we will take a cab up to Dover Castle and see the castle and war rooms. I would love to also see Canterbury but will have to save it for the next trip. We arrive in London early Monday morning, will spend that day touring London, and the next morning have booked train tickets to Edinburgh, Scotland. We will arrive back in London around 10:15pm and then up early the next morning to head to Dover. There is so much history to all these places we cannot do them justice by such a whirlwind visit but someday we will go back and spend more time. I am just thankful we are getting to spend a little time at each place. Your web page is wonderful, and very interesting!! How nice, thank you for sharing it with everyone. I noticed you are in Atlanta and we are also just north of Atlanta- in Sugar Hill!! I saw your link to the Mt Bethel Methodist Church- we are very active with the Sugar Hill Methodist Church. Have a good day and thank you for the info. Jean and Stephen

:) :)

Archived