What Things Cost in Euro's?

txlimey

I know what the exchange rate is between US Dollars and Euro's but I need to know what things cost in Euro's like how much is a Big Mac Meal, a candy bar, etc. as benchmarks in Euro's so I can determine how much to bring on my Freedom cruise?

What can I get for one Euro in Rome?

Not only is the exchange rate terrible, you get nothing for a Euro. It is like removing the $ sign in front of the amount and making it a Euro sign. So things will cost you about 35% more and remember in Europe, they have a VAT (value added tax) already added to everyday prices, so the price marked is the price you pay. And items seem to be more expensive. Expect to spend a bunch of money. At least the currency is colorful.

the exchange rate is at its hightest ever..$1.38..or 1 Eur=70-ish US cents. it is on the rise as well..up 5 cents in a month..Best to get a starter pack from AAA or order from a bank..$100 packs avail...then be sure to alert your bank, and CC co. your are lvng the country. Use your debit/card for all bigger buys...Some stores may give you cash back..so..buy a can of tomatoes/fresh fruit, and Eue 20 Please..My bank charges just 1% on the purchase after the conversion..$25.39=.25 cent ser/chg..ask also if you can go to a "sister" U.S. bank to get a Eur advance.Or, if you share time w/Europeans, chg all the dinners and they will give you the Eur money back.There are coins also, called "cents"in...1,2,5,10,20,50, Eu1, Eu2..then the bills, 5,10,20,50,100,200,500. each area has pix of that area on them but all interchangeable..collect a set!. I havent traveled (but the UK in '06) since the euro commenced. I used to buy Pounds Sterling, and convert to the other country currency, as my trip progresses, since it was more stable. also there may be a larger s/chg if you go to a bank, and for each transx. If you can afford the trip, you can afford the little extras..don't sweat the small stuff..If you take all in eurs, keep them separate(spread out) so if lost, you won't be "broke"..Remember it IS REAL money there, just like ours is REAL here..kinda seems like Monopoly $$$ tho. good Luck Happy Trails.luckycruzer, and world traveler

I don't know if I will add something to all that was already said, but...

Here in Europe eveything is more expensive than in the US. A Big Mac, with fries and Coke migh be around 5 EUR, 7USD. With 1EUR you migh (but I am not sure!) have the chance to buy a postcard!

Keep in mind that, besides the VAT already included, all the tourist souvenirs prices are well above their real value!

On the other hand, you can use your ATM and/or credit card (Visa, Amex or even Mastercard) almost everywhere, so... no worries!

All in all, it really depends what are you planning to spend, but if I were you I would take around 50EUR-70USD per day. Buy some postcards, get a cab to or from hotel, go to a museum, buy your Big Mac... it will be more than enough, I guess!

We just got back from the Freedom and Europe yesterday. Everything is unbelievably expensive even if the Euro and dollar were equal but with the poor exchange rate it's really bad. You can get maybe 2 postcards for 1E and you can use the WC for that.

In Venice we paid 7,5 E for a 7 oz. Coke. That was the worst but a coke anywhere is at least 3 or 4 E. There are no free refills on Coke or coffee. Even at McDonald's if you order their largest Coke it's like our medium size. We have to go through our receipts and I can give you better comparisons but in a nutshell it's really expensive even outside the cities.

As someone else mentioned, we used the ATM everywhere we went without problems. Everybody uses them and they are like the cafes - everywhere. ABut you should let your bank know you're leaving the country and give them the dates and countries you'll be visiting.

Hi,

You shouldn't complain, after about 30 years, the Canadian dollar is almost worth the same as the U.S dollar. Our first cruise, because we had to pay in U.S dollars, almost cost us one and a half times the price that U.S people had to pay. My kids are going to Greece and Italy during March break and we know it will cost lots, but that is the price you pay when you go to some of these countries.

Brenda

On the bright side a 1.5 litre of bottled water (plain not sparkling) costs about .20EU if you buy it in a grocery store and I think the most we paid at a vendor was .50EU - so their bottled water is cheaper than ours. :o

If you click on the ports review in my signature I give prices for train tickets and meals and various other things we bought in the ports. (We did all the ports except one on our own and if you're doing the Grand Med cruise hopefully that will help as well!) Enjoy your trip!

Sure hope you don't stop in the UK. You think the Euro is bad, wait till you see the British Pound. 2 Dollars to buy 1 Pound and 1 Pound doesn't go very far at all. Stopped in a McD's just to get a coke with ice, Barb wanted a small soft ice cream cone. 4 Pounds,70 or about $9.00 US for a med coke and small cone. That said, London was so great it was worth every penny, err, make that each bundle of cash!

Dan

Archived