Skagway: Sourdough Car Rentals

nekolover

WE were in Skagway last May (06) before Avis opened so rented from Sourdough for the trip to Emerald Lake. We had a van and although it was not brand new we had no problems with it and really enjoyed the drive to Emerald Lake.

we rented from them last september. Car was old, but we didn't have any problem. But their service is just not up to our minimal expectation. If Avis is not the option, I would say, it might be worthy taking the risk renting from them, only because of the beautiful drive to Emerald lake.

Has anyone rented a car from Sourdough car rentals to take into the Yukon?. We will be there mid- Spetember after Avis has shut down for the winter. What was your experience?

Do a search of this forum because I have read quite a few negative posts related to this company.

Do a search of this forum because I have read quite a few negative posts related to this company.

Basically Yukon says they are OK, BQ despises them. It is up to you whether you want to try them. Reviews have been mixed but there have been plenty of reports as above to counter the negative ones.

but wasn't there something about a person from Canada not being able to rent a car and go back over the border? i remember one person wanted to do it and yukon said they should see about sharing a car with someone from the U.S?

I have been doing some research on Sourdough also, I have called them a couple of times. They seem nice but just so you know in advance their cars are at least 5 years old with mileage ranging from 140,000 to 250,000. I also ask if we woud happen to break down what happens then, they said just leave the car and catch a ride back to town and taht there are buses driving that road all the time. I was not to thrilled having to rent a car from them but when we go Avis will close 1 day prior before we get there.

• 2 years later...
Basically Yukon says they are OK, BQ despises them. It is up to you whether you want to try them. Reviews have been mixed but there have been plenty of reports as above to counter the negative ones.

Just a warning: Sourdough only makes reservations by phone. They are poor at replying to emails. They charge a $25 cancellation fee, that is told to you on the phone, but appears nowhere on their website, nor in their email communications. If you cancel less than 48 hours of the day, then you're charged the entire amount.

I had made a reservation 2 months ahead, and cancelled 2-3 weeks ahead, and they charged me a cancellation fee.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=789150&highlight=sourdough+skagway

Archived