Maps

LakeErieLady

Which maps have you bought and where? Several books come with them but not to any detail.. some mention getting them when you rent the cars, but I'd like to map out an itinerary so I can get a feel about what is practical ahead of time

• Administrators
Which maps have you bought and where? Several books come with them but not to any detail.. some mention getting them when you rent the cars, but I'd like to map out an itinerary so I can get a feel about what is practical ahead of time

Before our trip I got the rental car magazines, with maps, for each island from www.driveguidemagazines.com. There is a charge for them, but it was minimal -- $4 each I think, and I loved having them as I planned (like you)! If you don't need the hard copy, you can see each map at the link I gave -- I just enjoyed sitting out on our back patio, planning and taking notes. :) I also ordered the maps from Travel Graphics International (www.tgimaps.com). I found having both sets very handy for planning, and carried them along each day in Hawaii, pre-marked with sticky notes. That helped me be more useful as navigator than fumbling through the magazines ten minutes after you pick them up at the rental car office. Hope that was what you had in mind!

Before our trip I got the rental car magazines, with maps, for each island from www.driveguidemagazines.com. There is a charge for them, but it was minimal -- $4 each I think, and I loved having them as I planned (like you)! If you don't need the hard copy, you can see each map at the link I gave -- I just enjoyed sitting out on our back patio, planning and taking notes. :) I also ordered the maps from Travel Graphics International (www.tgimaps.com). I found having both sets very handy for planning, and carried them along each day in Hawaii, pre-marked with sticky notes. That helped me be more useful as navigator than fumbling through the magazines ten minutes after you pick them up at the rental car office. Hope that was what you had in mind!

Another question, how detailed are these maps? Will they have a good Honolulu/Waikiki city map included? I like the pre-marked idea. On other trips I have used a hi-lighter ( however they are spelled) to mark a route and used a regular marker to make 'stars' at the special places. I put each day's material in a separate folder with notes on what I need to take with us on that particular day ( so you don't get somewhere and say --oops this is where I needed cash for the tip- for instance).

I really have enjoyed CC for all the - nearly- instant info- as good as google:rolleyes:

• Administrators
Another question, how detailed are these maps? Will they have a good Honolulu/Waikiki city map included? I like the pre-marked idea. On other trips I have used a hi-lighter ( however they are spelled) to mark a route and used a regular marker to make 'stars' at the special places. I put each day's material in a separate folder with notes on what I need to take with us on that particular day ( so you don't get somewhere and say --oops this is where I needed cash for the tip- for instance).

I really have enjoyed CC for all the - nearly- instant info- as good as google:rolleyes:

Here's the Waikiki map from driveguide:

http://www.driveguidemagazines.com/oahu_waikiki.html

Downtown area:

http://www.driveguidemagazines.com/oahu_airport_waikiki.html

And you can see an example of the TGI maps at http://www.tgimaps.com; their example is Waikiki.

We found the maps to have plenty of detail. On the use of folders, let me share a photo :) This is my expanding file I took to Hawaii, with one folder for each day containing everything we needed for that day. The front section was a good place for maps and such.

1925040206_Organized01.jpg.43fb30c44afb7fd7234dcb5ea365916a.jpg

For the most part the maps you will receive at the car rental location will be very detailed, if you have prepared your itinerary ahead of the trip you will really have a lot more enjoyable drive on each of the islands. Just knowing where you want to go and approximate travel times was very helpful. At least looking at the maps on the links provided by ( MichellP ) will prove to be very helpful when you look back on your trip.

Traffic in and around the Honolulu / Waikiki area WILL be very heavy and this part of your trip will take a lot of focus / concentration to enjoy driving around Waikiki safely. There are thousands of cars and tens of thousands pedestrians everywhere in this area. The street names are also in the native language which can be very hard to distinguish from each other as you will be dodging traffic and people.

A major trouble spot WILL be trying to get back on the freeway ( H-1 ) from Waikiki. I really would try to keep the map of entry points to H-1 handy. Also parking in the Waikiki area will be more difficult than you have ever imagined. Just don't be in a hurry in this area and be prepared to spend some time people watching as you cruise the streets in Waikiki and at the pace you will be traveling you can almost let your passengers out to shop as you move to the next light :rolleyes: .

One thing I really liked about their freeway system was the way they move traffic during high traffic periods ( and I mean HIGH traffic periods ) is the Zipper. A machine goes down the divider and moves it over to form an extra lane in the high volume direction of traffic. We could use this in Houston.

Not trying to make you nervous just aware you will encounter almost New York City type traffic in and around Waikiki. Driving around the rest of Oahu and the other islands was very easy and relaxing.

Always ask the agent at the car rental location for drive times to different places and trouble spots of road closures and heavy traffic on every island. These times can change drastically with road problems. Always allow more time than you would think and the trip will prove a lot more pleasant for everyone, believe that ;).

• Administrators

VNP map:

http://www.nps.gov/havo/planyourvisit/upload/Explore%20Crater%20Rim%20Drive%20and%20Chain%20of%20Craters%20Road.pdf

This is the same map they have available in the visitor's center. Hope that helps!

The base website there (www.nps.gov/havo) has all sorts of useful information on visiting VNP.

Here's the Waikiki map from driveguide:

http://www.driveguidemagazines.com/oahu_waikiki.html

Downtown area:

http://www.driveguidemagazines.com/oahu_airport_waikiki.html

And you can see an example of the TGI maps at http://www.tgimaps.com; their example is Waikiki.

We found the maps to have plenty of detail. On the use of folders, let me share a photo :) This is my expanding file I took to Hawaii, with one folder for each day containing everything we needed for that day. The front section was a good place for maps and such.

I click on the links and it goes to the page but no maps - do I need some program to view them that I - apparently- don't have?

• Administrators
I click on the links and it goes to the page but no maps - do I need some program to view them that I - apparently- don't have?

Just click on the links for Waikiki and Downtown; I just tried it and they worked for me -- but you do have to scroll to the bottom of the page. :) If your computer needs some program like java or activex it should prompt you, but I don't recall having to upgrade those for that site.

Archived