Best place to snorkel without taking an excursion?

kathy7558

DH and I would like to be able to snorkel while we're in Cozumel - we'll be there December 14 on the Inspiration. We really don't want to pay for a tour to take us out on a boat - just snorkel from the shore somewhere. (This trip is a really low-budget trip for us)

Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks.

We were at Dzul Ha last year on Rhapsody and had some great snorkeling. It was about $7 each way for the taxi. There is a little palapa bar with some tables and a few vendors. We hung at the tables, snorkeled, grabbed some beverages and enjoyed the morning. At one point an excursion from a Carnival ship arrived and it got fairly busy, but still not terrible. We found out they had paid $40 each for the trip. For 4 of us it was no more than $20!

Enjoy!

You can go to Chankanaab Park. The only hitch is it costs $12 a person to get in. Snorkeling is very good and the restaurant has good food. Nice botantical gardens with birds and iguanas. I did a dive and not a snorkel but those in our party that snorkeled said is was very good.

If you are a beginning snorkeler Dzul Ha will probably be good for you. We have been to better spots but still had a nice day there. The food is good, the atmosphere relaxing, the staff friendly, and if you enjoy walking along the beach the tide pooling is great.

Thank you for the responses!

Dzul Ha and Chankanaab both sound nice. I'd read about Chankanaab on other threads - that seems to have much more than just a beach and snorkeling. It may turn out to be the place to go. We both enjoy seeing the wildlife and DH is a gardener (by hobby), so he likes the gardens we've been to before.

Anyone else have an opinion??

I haven't been to Dzul Ha, but have read that it is a good place for snorkeling, just as the other replies indicate. But isn't as developed as Chankanaab park. We went there in March, DW and the kids went for the dolphin swim and I arrived later after diving. I met them at the restaurant and we walked thru the reproduction Mayan ruins and garden. It was quite nice. If you are interested in see what it looks like, you can see myphoto gallery here. The photos of Chankanaab are on the second page. There are showers, lockers, restrooms, a restaurant (decent food too), 3-4 dive operators, and lots of other stuff to see all at the park. It would be easy to spend the whole day there. The only thing lacking is a long sandy beach that leads into the water. The shore line at the park is all ironshore, which you will find at almost all the good snorkeling places.

At the end of the pier (through the Duty Free Shops) turn right and you can snorkel there. No sand, but there are steps into the water. We saw some beautiful fish not far from shore and under the pier. There are a few lounge chairs to put your stuff on that are part of a bar, so buy a soda or drink if you use their chairs.

While we were out a little way, an excursion boat anchored just beyond us.

Seems silly to pay for an excursion and they bring you right back to the pier.

Oh Well!

Archived