Embarkation/luggage question

Annabella29

Hi,

I'm a first-time poster and going on my first cruise on the Glory on August 18. I've tried to do my research before posting, but I haven't found the answer I'm looking for. I know you can do the self-assist debarkation, but it seems that you don't have that option for embarkation. Am I right? I know that there is no limit for the luggage you can bring aboard, but how many pieces of carry-on can you bring aboard yourself upon embarkation?

Thanks in advance! :)

Annabella ~ first, welcome to Cruise Critic!!!

As far as embarkation goes, yes you're right. You must check any luggage that does not fit in the x-ray scanner (about the same size as what they have at the airports). No, there really isn't a limit on the number of bags. Whatever you can carry and can fit through the x-ray machine is yours to carry on. Once you arrive at the pier, the luggage handlers (AKA Long-Shoremen) will tell you if your bag(s) are too big. Be sure to tip them $1-$2 per bag, too!

Happy Cruising!!! :D

Hi,

I'm a first-time poster and going on my first cruise on the Glory on August 18. I've tried to do my research before posting, but I haven't found the answer I'm looking for. I know you can do the self-assist debarkation, but it seems that you don't have that option for embarkation. Am I right? I know that there is no limit for the luggage you can bring aboard, but how many pieces of carry-on can you bring aboard yourself upon embarkation?

Annabela29, I don't know of any cruise line that allows passengers to bring their own main luggage aboard. It would be pure bedlam and very unsafe. Cabins are not usually immediately available when you embark and if everyone had to keep their bags it would be an impossible situation. you will realize this when you board for the first time. Good question though.:) :) :D :D

I agree with eh2zed...it would be very difficult to make it through the checkin lines, do the photo, go up ramps, find your cabin and/or eat on the lido deck (depending on time of arrival) with all your luggage in tow. Put your important stuff in your carry-on and let the baggage handlers do the rest. (Most baggage handlers don't work for Carnival...so tipping helps to insure your luggage actually makes it onboard.)

We've done the ports of New York and Miami. Both very busy places. The port buildings are just enormous. You really can't imagine what it's like until you do it. They have a reason for disembarking in shifts. Make sure your luggage has something standing out on it that makes it easy for you to pick yours out. When you come off the ship to go home, they have all the luggage just sitting in rows. It's scary. Getting on the ship isn't much less of a hassle. They want to ask you everything they can. Also, even if you let them handle your packed luggage, the carry ons you have to drag or carry quite a distance. Just going through the port building and up the ramp onto the ship, then to your cabin is quite a walk. Make sure you have good shoes!

Archived