ANOTHER formal night question... Overdressing?

frexpar

I'm taking my first cruise on the Fantasy Sept. 13. I bought a tux with dinner jacket on Ebay for $30. My question is... am I going to be overdressed?

I know the definition of the word formal, but it seems to be too much of a problem for a number of people to dress up entirely.

I'd love to dress up, but I don't want to be in the minority and look ridiculous completely decked out while everyone else looks like they're just going to thanksgiving dinner.

Thank you in advance for your responses.

Go for it! My DH, 4 DS and friend all looked fabulous in tuxes on formal night on each of our cruises. Trust me....no one will throw you out because you are dressed apppropriately!! Although you might get stares because you look fabulous! (You can even enjoy it more knowing the bargain you got on the clothes!!:D )

Go on your cruise, enjoy getting dressed up, and have fun!!!

We just returned a few months ago from our first NCL cruise - which is freestyle . We were both surprised that we missed the formal nights. My husband looks great in a tux [ as I think all men do] and he missed wearing it as much as I missed seeing it on him . No more freestyle for us!:)

I'm taking my first cruise on the Fantasy Sept. 13. I bought a tux with dinner jacket on Ebay for $30. My question is... am I going to be overdressed?

I know the definition of the word formal, but it seems to be too much of a problem for a number of people to dress up entirely.

I'd love to dress up, but I don't want to be in the minority and look ridiculous completely decked out while everyone else looks like they're just going to thanksgiving dinner.

I don't think you will be overdressed. We bought my DH a tux and he was unsure at first about the whole formal dinner thing. But he rather enjoyed dressing up. I love it.

You will see people wearing many different types of clothing on formal night. I don't think you will feel out of place at all.

Have a great cruise!

On any given CARNIVAL cruise, between 10% and 60% of the men will wear a tux to each formal nite. Complying with the best interpretation of the dress code cannot result in over dressing. Rudely ignoring the dress code CAN result in under dressing. You CANNOT go wrong with a tux.

Dan

You will not feel out of place wearing a tux. Nor will the men wearing suits or sports coats.....

IMHO, there is no such thing as 'overdressing' for formal night on a cruise.

I'll go with this. I don't own a tux, but I am seriously considering renting one on our Dec. cruise. In our hometown, the only opportunity to dress up is for a wedding or a funeral. (Can't tell any differance between the two, personally.) I was fortuante enough to find a nice suit at the Salvation Army that fit well. ($5;) ) We have alot of overweight preachers in our area so I had a nice selection to choose from.

I am NOT trying to contradict what the others are saying at all but want to chime in with my own observations.

We have been on Carnival Celebration, Golden Princess and RCCL Sovereign. My husband wore a tux on Princess and the Celebration and a dark suit on the Sovereign. On Princess, he was dressed the same as 90% of every man in the dining room but he did feel a bit overdressed on the Celebration. I think we only saw 3 tux's during our dining time on formal night. Our experience on the Sovereign has been the same (very few men in tux's), so that's why he wears his suit for formal night.

Now, with that said.......WOW, great job on your find....because formal night attire IS supposed to be FORMAL, wear it with pride! My husband didn't feel out of place when he was in a tux and most of the men were not because he was dressed according to the guidelines of the cruise line.

Hope you are not totally confused now!

Sharon

On our last cruise on the Coral Princess I wore my formal kilt. Two others also wore formal kilts...and none of us felt out of place or over dressed...and of course none of us worried about it anyway!!

Don't worry about what the other guys are wearing. Wear what makes you and your partner happy and comfortable.

BTW...we were the talk of the ship...after dinner we were sitting in a lounge and they lined up to take pictures of us. There was of course the standard question..."What are you wearing under your kilt?"...to which we all replied..."If you wear anything under your kilt it's just another skirt!"

Enjoy your cruise...and wearing your new Tux!

TOM&DEB:)

2112274590_xsm3kilts.jpg.a249e2934e9a55c25b324222cd43777e.jpg

There will be all kinds of interpretations of "formal" and the attire will vary greatly ... but you will not be overdressed as many do come this formal - we did - and we love the experience of dressing for formal night, because dressing up like that is not something we do frequently ... it's fun every once in a while!!

-steph-

There is just something about the site of a man in a tux. So James Bond - man of mystery, danger, intrigue! Add in a little Cary Grant - so smooth, suave and sophisticated! My heart starts beating faster!!!! Definitely go for the tux!!!

Go with the Tux, you will be in good company!

My wife loves it when I wear a Tux and I enjoy it as well (yeah , her reaction is a big motivator! ;) )

I have a couple of them , purchased them used at a large tux rental shop. Got a great deal on them and since we cruise just about once a year it was definitely a smart choice , for me anyway.

There was of course the standard question..."What are you wearing under your kilt?"...to which we all replied..."If you wear anything under your kilt it's just another skirt!"

The correct answer of course is socks and shoes. ;)

There is just something about the site of a man in a tux. So James Bond - man of mystery, danger, intrigue! Add in a little Cary Grant - so smooth, suave and sophisticated! My heart starts beating faster!!!! Definitely go for the tux!!!

Ginger D, is that you?

This sounds alot like my wife. She is a Cary Grant groupie. Now you know what type of hillbilly I am. Mr. Suave and debonair in overalls.:rolleyes:

Archived