Do you return items after finding something you like better, or do you keep it?

Okay, I posted a picture of what I thought would be my perfect carryon when traveling by air, When the bag arrived I was sure this was it, it even matched my luggage set perfectly!! Well its being returned to the store and here is why;

Well would'nt you know, I was in Ross (I live in that store, I need to own stock) not even looking for a bag, I was there for skirts and tops, and I walked pass the luggage and this bag called my name:D I fell in love at first sight!! It was so adorable, very tropical in color, and it matched my brown luggage set! Very room inside, with two side pockets and it has a long strap if want to carry it over my shoulder.

The best part, it was $5.00 less than what I paid for the bag at Kohls.

I know I can keep the bag from Kohls, but I really don't need after this bag. I promised myself I would not do that with anything I purchase. If I decide to return it, its being returned, period.

Here is a picture of the bag

I really like it, especially for $19.99

DSCF0576.jpg.86a724c5c3f32c0148b6c509cde60c10.jpg

Yes, I return things pretty regularly. I make sure I do it in a timely fashion and have never had a problem. I read a while ago that stores were going to start tracking people's buying and returning habits. If that's true, my mother and grandmother are going to be in trouble. I think my grandmother must keep about 10% of what she buys!

BTW, love the new bag!

I tend to use solid colors, don't care if they match, altho I have the famous canvas animal print in a 36, 24, BIG tote, med rolly, hump back rolly, lg cosmetic bag(purse size)..and a new Am Tour reg case..love that one, sometimes on b2b, my hard goods go in an old hard shell Samsonite, I don't carry on a purse, just use the hb rolly side pocket for docs, $ etc..use a soft old canvas tote ashore, and lots of evening bags..S&S card,room key a few $$, and lipstik in a neck lanyard zip case, under my blouse, in my pocket or around my waist, very hands free on board.

I am a chronic returner. I shop at stores where I can return items any time. I get buyer's regret sometimes and just take it back. If it's a great deal on something I love -- like your second bag -- I would just keep it.

You will get to use it; if not on a cruise, than for something else. Remember, if you walk back into that store to return your bag, you are likely to purchase something else:D

--Judy

Do you return items after finding something you like better or do you keep it?

Yes, I return items I don't want.

Not quite sure why you're taking a poll on this. I don't think there's anyone who's never returned an item after changing their mind about it.

Yes, I return items I don't want.

Not quite sure why you're taking a poll on this. I don't think there's anyone who's never returned an item after changing their mind about it.

This is by no means a poll, I was just curious as to those that do return, and what they return! Just having a little fun with the post,

P.S. LIGHTEN UP:eek: :eek:

Don't you think returning takes a whole lot of time and energy? Especially if you are in charge of your family's wardrobe?? I sort of have a master list and basic plan and buy when totally sure of fit and color and wearablilty. I get the stuff measured asap at the store to see if it will work. I always buy at the begining of the season--btw, wasn't nordstroms preseason sale great this past week? By the time the clothes go on sale, they've been around a while. I hate returning. It makes me feel like a failure. On the other hand, I love buying. I only return if i find a defect in something, like the zipper sticks on the brand new vip bag.... or there is a snag in the knit that we didn't spot at the store. Or, a catalog order does not fit right--even that is a trip to the seamstress, because it is so annoying to stand in line to send things back to llbean for example.

Don't you think returning takes a whole lot of time and energy? Especially if you are in charge of your family's wardrobe?? I sort of have a master list and basic plan and buy when totally sure of fit and color and wearablilty. I get the stuff measured asap at the store to see if it will work. I always buy at the begining of the season--btw, wasn't nordstroms preseason sale great this past week? By the time the clothes go on sale, they've been around a while. I hate returning. It makes me feel like a failure. On the other hand, I love buying. I only return if i find a defect in something, like the zipper sticks on the brand new vip bag.... or there is a snag in the knit that we didn't spot at the store. Or, a catalog order does not fit right--even that is a trip to the seamstress, because it is so annoying to stand in line to send things back to llbean for example.

Its takes no more time and energy to return as it did to purchase it. I only shop for myself and my husband. Our two sons are adults! It really all depends on how much you are returning. I am speaking of one specific item. I don't recall ever returning multiple items to any store. The most I think I have ever returned in a single trip is two items. But either way, its never a waste of time for me. I make good use of that time, for instance, If I need to return something to the only Ross I shop near my home, I add an extra hour to that trip, and spend the morning at the nearby bookstore having coffee and reading. Waste of time and energy, no way:)

mmm-i'll think on that....I still think purchase trips are fun and anything else is just an errand. Maybe i should combine it with a Starbucks;)

Hey, Try it sometime! It makes my trip that much easier and more enjoyable. Believe me, it was not always like that! But when I came up with the idea to get more out of the trip back to the store, it works!

I return things if I decide I don't want them or they don't match/go with the item I wanted it to go with or if I find something I like better. I also keep my receipts just in case an item goes on sale within 14 days after purchasing it. Just the other day I happened to be in Macy's and a dress I bought was on sale so I ended up getting an additional % off.

I don't consider it a waste of time returning things either it's all in a days work ;)

...When the bag arrived I was sure this was it, it even matched my luggage set perfectly!! Well its being returned...

It sounds like you had to send off for the original bag. I suppose the cost of sending it back would determine as to if I keep it or send it back.

It sounds like you had to send off for the original bag. I suppose the cost of sending it back would determine as to if I keep it or send it back.

Well fortunately, the shipping was only $.99cents and Kohls will give you the option of returning it to a store if you are near one, which I plan to do.

What a super cute bag! My rule is this -- I return the first bag if I don't have another use for it. If both bags essentially will serve the same purpose, then I'll return the first one and keep the one I like better. Of course with bags it's nice to have several from which to choose!

I return things all the time. In fact, my father-in-law who hates to make returns, sometimes asks me to take care of his for him. My husband says I get two days of fun out of one shopping trip because I really don't mind having to go back to the store for returns. For me it's part of the whole shopping experience. When I make purchases, I make them knowing that I will probably take about half back to the store. It relieves the pressure I would otherwise feel -- does it fit exactly right? do I really need it? is it worth the price? will it match and fit in my wardrobe? This way, I get to select several items in the store, purchase them, bring them home, and then go through the whole process of trying them on and really deciding on each item.

I hate returning. It makes me feel like a failure.

That's gotta be one of most unusual things I have ever heard anyone say. If I wind up not needing something, or I change my mind about it, for WHATEVER reason, you better believe it's going back. I have neither the money, nor the room, to keep things that I don't want!! :rolleyes:

I love the bag!!!! Sometimes I return things if I find something better. For example, I started ending up with too many dresses formy cruise, so I tried them all on again and only kept the one's that were really comfy and that I looked the best in. The rest went back. Sometimes I will keep an item if I got a reallllllllly good deal on it, like a fancy dress for under $20, because I can always wear it for a wedding or something. I keep tags on things until I am ready to use or wear. For example, while I was shopping last week I found some really good sales on costume jewelry. I bought some for myself but today I am giving one of the necklaces for a gift!

This is by no means a poll, I was just curious as to those that do return, and what they return!

sounds like a poll to me! :)

Just having a little fun with the post,

P.S. LIGHTEN UP:eek: :eek:

Didn't think my response was heavy.

I'm happy for you that you enjoy the experience. Like most people here, I find it a boring chore.

I had a birthday party to attend for a friend last evening and the wife suggested golf balls as a gift for the birthday boy who's a golf addict. Bought some last week, told the wife who then told me he doesn't like that brand. Went to Nike and bought the ones he likes and now I have to schlep back to the first store and return the original. At $60. for a dozen golf balls, I'm going to do it, but I don't see any fun involved in it for me.

As long as you're into collecting returning experiences.....

I have always bought casual cotton pants for DH from Eddie Bauer. I usually buy him about 4 pairs in different styles from their online catalog. He tries them on at home and then if there are any he doesn't want, I bring them back to the Eddie Bauer here in NYC. I ordered 5 pairs last month, and he didn't like 3 of them, so I made a trip uptown only to find out that Eddie Bauer no longer has retail stores here in Manhattan. So, now I have to pack them up and ship them back. I HATE that chore and they're sitting in a corner waiting to be mailed back. I'll get around to it, but I find it a real drag. I'm no longer buying anything from Bauer. Too much work to return.

[/b]

I'm happy for you that you enjoy the experience. Like most people here, I find it a boring chore.

I had a birthday party to attend for a friend last evening and the wife suggested golf balls as a gift for the birthday boy who's a golf addict. Bought some last week, told the wife who then told me he doesn't like that brand. Went to Nike and bought the ones he likes and now I have to schlep back to the first store and return the original. At $60. for a dozen golf balls, I'm going to do it, but I don't see any fun involved in it for me.

I have always bought casual cotton pants for DH from Eddie Bauer. I usually buy him about 4 pairs in different styles from their online catalog. He tries them on at home and then if there are any he doesn't want, I bring them back to the Eddie Bauer here in NYC. I ordered 5 pairs last month, and he didn't like 3 of them, so I made a trip uptown only to find out that Eddie Bauer no longer has retail stores here in Manhattan. So, now I have to pack them up and ship them back. I HATE that chore and they're sitting in a corner waiting to be mailed back. I'll get around to it, but I find it a real drag. I'm no longer buying anything from Bauer. Too much work to return.

You wouldn't think buying golf balls would be so tough but it is!! I only use pink pinnacle balls with the breast cancer ribbon on them but my daughter in law always gets me some other brand for gifts. I will use them but only for tough water shots that I don't mind if the balls land in the drink!!!

Back on topic, I hate returning things but I will. My time is much better spent on the golf course or wakeboarding then running back to a store that I was already at!

[/b]

Jane, your response was not heavy at all, I just didn't want people to take the post too serious!

But what you just described does sound like a chore! Most of the time when I am returning something is one or two items, and its usually at a local store. Now what bothers me most, is if I have to return it by mail because the cost adds up. Thats why I am very careful when purchasing anything online. I will look at the item a 100 times, before deciding if I want it or not. I just shopped for fashion jewelry at JCPenney, and I must have viewed the same items 20 times, before hitting the place the order button:D , and I could not get the free shipping like I usually do, so lets hope it looks good when it arrives!!!

Archived