HAL transfer Civitaveccia to Rome airport FCO

rick h

Can anyone advise cost of HAL bus transfer from ship to airport. Have 1130am flight and wonder if HAL bus transfer will get me to airport in time with check in 3 hours before flight and extra time taken to unload 40 passengers and luggage at different terminals.

Understand airport is very busy and additional passport checks and crowded check in area require more time to negotiate.

Have Air Canada flight and any information or advice would be appreciated.

Rick,

I don't think you are allowing yourself enough time. Civitavecchia is at least 90 minutes from FCO. If the ship docks at 7am, they have to wait until the ship is cleared by immigration officials, then they try to find the pax who have not settled their accounts. Did you book your air through HAL? If so they know you have an early flight. I'd be nervous about the short transfer time especially on an international flight.

Can you get a later flight? If you need 3 hours there would be no way you could get to FCO by 8:30 am.

GN

We had a 12:35p flight and made it OK on the HAL transfer bus ($40 each) despite very long lines at Lufthansa. But, with an hour less, I'd advise you to take a taxi. It is only about 50 miles.

John,

The OP said he wanted to be at the airport 3 hours before the flight. Do you really think he can be there by 8:30am, even by cab?

GN

No, but I am questioning that he needs 3 hours there. That may be what Air Canada said they want, but I think that is overkill.

I am saying we made it on the HAL bus for 12:35p, and I believe 11:30a will be tight but probably doable with a taxi. Providing, of course, there aren't any big delays disembarking.

Does HAL have transfers from hotels in the Rome city center to Civitaveccia? I've arranged for a room (independently) near the Spanish Steps prior to the cruise and am working on the best way to get to the ship. Since my cruise isn't until May, I have a while to solve this.

Trish

Can anyone advise cost of HAL bus transfer from ship to airport. Have 1130am flight and wonder if HAL bus transfer will get me to airport in time with check in 3 hours before flight and extra time taken to unload 40 passengers and luggage at different terminals.

Understand airport is very busy and additional passport checks and crowded check in area require more time to negotiate.

It is about $85.00 per person. For 120 euros (about same price) you can have Stefano of Rome Cabs (we got picked up by Pietro) send one of his drivers in a mercedes sedan. Note that HAL will still give you tags and carry your luggage down to the pier the night before.

Btw, you should allow 3 hours to get through that airport. Be sure that your carryone luggage is not more than 18 pounds.

John,

The OP said he wanted to be at the airport 3 hours before the flight. Do you really think he can be there by 8:30am, even by cab?

GN

Yes, by private driver. It is about one hour 15 minutes. You need extra time. Even though I had paper tickets, Lufthansa had us booked to Detroit (not where we were going but I heard about this before we left and thought US Airways had resolved the double booking), so at the check-in counter I had to leave DH with the luggage and go to another line to straighten it out.

Btw, Frankfurt was the worst. If going through Frankfurt to the US keeping walking straight to the gate no matter if you think you have lots of time. We had to switch terminals and go throught security again (xray) and they are sooo slow.

Does HAL have transfers from hotels in the Rome city center to Civitaveccia? I've arranged for a room (independently) near the Spanish Steps prior to the cruise and am working on the best way to get to the ship. Since my cruise isn't until May, I have a while to solve this.

Trish

PatsyAnne & Rick -

I would recommend Stefano Costantini of Rome Cabs allagrande@hotmail.it

You can check out his web site, I think romecabs.com.

We used him from the airport to our hotel (euro 45), Hotel to the port (euro 150 as another couple from CC decided to join us and he sent a minivan which we split) and Port to the airport in a Sedan for 2 persons (euro 120).

Stefano will not even need a credit card hold as he gets referrals from CC. We also did a 4 hour driving tour around Rome for 40 euros per hour. We just booked for 2008 and I am going to have him do our transfers again. Stefano picked us up and did the tour the first evening, Sylvester drove us to the port and Pietro took us back to the airport. We were concerned about the times so booked a 1:25pm flight and did not leave the ship until close to 9:00am since HAL lets you stay in the cabin. I think they had the ship cleared at about 6:30am even though they state 7:00am. If off my 7:00am you will be at the airport by about 8:30am.

You really are pushing your luck! Even being first off I doubt you'd make it! There are always the laggards :mad:who have to be paged endlessly to come to the Front Desk. The ship is not 'cleared' until every last dime has been collected and then I believe the VIP's, Suite dwellers etc. have preference.

... and then I believe the VIP's, Suite dwellers etc. have preference.
They're second, after the Express self-disembarkers. Therefore, if the OP travels light enogh to handle their own bags, they stand a fairly good shot of being at the airport around 8:45a.

PatsyAnne & Rick -

I would recommend Stefano Costantini of Rome Cabs allagrande@hotmail.it

You can check out his web site, I think romecabs.com.

We used him from the airport to our hotel (euro 45), Hotel to the port (euro 150 as another couple from CC decided to join us and he sent a minivan which we split) and Port to the airport in a Sedan for 2 persons (euro 120).

Stefano will not even need a credit card hold as he gets referrals from CC. We also did a 4 hour driving tour around Rome for 40 euros per hour. We just booked for 2008 and I am going to have him do our transfers again. Stefano picked us up and did the tour the first evening, Sylvester drove us to the port and Pietro took us back to the airport. We were concerned about the times so booked a 1:25pm flight and did not leave the ship until close to 9:00am since HAL lets you stay in the cabin. I think they had the ship cleared at about 6:30am even though they state 7:00am. If off my 7:00am you will be at the airport by about 8:30am.

Thanks! Trish

After a relaxing (hopefully) cruise why set yourself up for a potentially very stressful experience?

There are too many variables: Ship could be late, clearance of ship delayed, disembarkation delayed by inconsiderate pax who haven't paid up, traffic jams to the airport, long airport check-in and security lines etc!

Either try for later flight or, better yet, stay a day or two in Rome where it's easier to get to airport early.

Have a great cruise and good luck in whatever you decide!

Ahoy Trish!

Concerning your question regarding Rome transfer there is also another option depending on how adventerous you are and the amount of luggage your bringing along. They are :

1. Transfer from Ficimicino (Leonardo DiVinci) via train to downtown Rome (Termini station- approx. 8-9 blocks from Spanish steps) runs about 10 euros (approx. $14USD versus cab/private car @ 50 euros) and takes about 30 minutes. My twenty-something kids did this recently.

2. Rome (Termini station again) to Civitavecchia (1 1/2 hour or 1 hour express for 12-14 euros). Then you need to walk 4 blocks to the port entrance (wheeled luggage I hope) and then catch the free port shuttle to the appropriate pier for HAL embarkation.

Personally, we usually have to much baggage, this on-going 'age thing' and indifference to the 'cost versus convience thing' at this point in our lives so we didn't choose to do it on our last trip. I just thought I'd let you know that other options are available.

In any event, HAVE A GREAT CRUISE!

Bon Voyage and Good Health,

Bob:)

They're second, after the Express self-disembarkers. Therefore, if the OP travels light enogh to handle their own bags, they stand a fairly good shot of being at the airport around 8:45a.

I may be wrong but I never saw express disembarkation except in the States,,,,

It does not happen in Europe, over 40 cruises with HAL...

May be you can confirm that you have seen it outside of the USA. Not ne,

Louise:confused:

Ahoy Trish!

Concerning your question regarding Rome transfer there is also another option depending on how adventerous you are and the amount of luggage your bringing along. They are :

1. Transfer from Ficimicino (Leonardo DiVinci) via train to downtown Rome (Termini station- approx. 8-9 blocks from Spanish steps) runs about 10 euros (approx. $14USD versus cab/private car @ 50 euros) and takes about 30 minutes. My twenty-something kids did this recently.

2. Rome (Termini station again) to Civitavecchia (1 1/2 hour or 1 hour express for 12-14 euros). Then you need to walk 4 blocks to the port entrance (wheeled luggage I hope) and then catch the free port shuttle to the appropriate pier for HAL embarkation.

Personally, we usually have to much baggage, this on-going 'age thing' and indifference to the 'cost versus convience thing' at this point in our lives so we didn't choose to do it on our last trip. I just thought I'd let you know that other options are available.

Personally, I woulld not recommend ending a wonderful (expensive) cruise only to have to drag four 50 pound bags (usual max allowance for two people) to and through the train station.

I may be wrong but I never saw express disembarkation except in the States,,,,

It does not happen in Europe, over 40 cruises with HAL...

May be you can confirm that you have seen it outside of the USA. Not ne,

Louise:confused:

Yes, you can walk off the ship as soon as it is cleared. We watched passengers do this on Friday. Even if going on your own, HAL requests that you give them your times on a slip you fill out. We were in group 5 since we asked for 8:30am (but could have requested 7:00am), and beat some in group 3 as they were line at Lufthansa behind us.

Yes, by private driver. It is about one hour 15 minutes. quote]

Dh said I needed to make a correction. Westerdam was cleared at 7:00am on Friday as scheduled. It took us 45 minutes by private Sedan to reach the airport.

Big warning for those going through Philly on the way to Rome...just as stated on CC, they call a scheduled transfer one hour. We tried multiple times to get US Airways to give us an earlier flight but had FFmiles and told no problem as we had a scheduled transfer. We even went to our airport 3 hours early in hopes of going standby but seats sold out so hung out in the US airways Club. Once in Philly we had to speed walk to make our connecting flight which was at the farthest possible gate. We basically went off one plane and right into the boarding line of the next. There was NO WAY anyone with a mobility issue or older would have made the flight. I already heard about ths problem on CC and ripped out the airport plan out of the onboard magazine, so I knew which way to "run".

Unbelievably once in Rome our luggage came off the plane right away, was labeled "Priority" (don't know why), and we were out of the airport in about 20 minutes (they stamped my passport without even looking at the photo), and found a surprise, Stefano from Rome Cabs waiting for us (he was going to send another driver but his client got sick and canceled their trip), so we had him for our transfer and later pickup for evening driving tour.

Ahoy Trish!

Thanks, Bob. It's always nice to know my options. I would like to say I won't be hauling 100 lbs of stuff, but we will be on a 20 day cruise... I often prefer trains to cabs - I don't feel the need to "help" drive.

On the return, I've booked a room at the airport overnight so no worries there.

Trish

Well a 'fairly good shot' would not be good enough for me! Being a 'no show' would cost money and then probably an extra hotel night, meals etc. No thanks, definitely not for me!

Archived