Mendenhall Glacier Float Trip

patca

Has anyone taken this trip? We want to do some white water rafting and this tour is offered by Alaska Adventures and also Holland America. It claims to encounter some stretches of moderate rapids. Just wondering if it is worth going on. Pat

Don't expect much whitewater. Actually there was very little, and the rapids that were would be Class II rapids at most. It's an enjoyable float. Parts of it passes behind the homes in some of Juneau's middle class neighborhoods, so don't expect it to be all wilderness adventure. Maybe after a heavy rain, things might be considerably more exciting.

I enjoyed it, but the Mendenhall does pale in comparison to white water rafting in West Virginia, North Carolina, or Tennessee.

Thanks for the info. What time of the year did you do this? We will be there August 9. Do you know if there are any other rafting trips in Skagway or Ketchikan? Pat

We did this in August on our last cruise to Alaska. As mentioned, it's much more a float than white water rafting. I grew up rafting down the Rogue River in southern Oregon, which is rated Wild and Scenic, so the Mendenhall was pretty much a very enjoyable, mild float down a river. We had a wonderful time and saw several bald eagles and a great view of the glacier as we rowed across the lake.

There's a whitewater rafting trip out of Skagway. I don't know much about it, but someone from another cruise line posted on our roll call looking for people to join them on it. I would have jumped at the chance, but my 12-year-old DD would not like it, so not an option for us. If you want more information (and someone else doesn't post here) take a look at our roll call--we're the Carnival Spirit southbound cruise setting sail August 15--and I'm guess it's 20 or 30 posts in.

Cheers!

Jayne

This was the most unimpressive shore excursion that I have ever done by a huge long shot. My suggestion to anyone who is thinking about the Mendenhall Float Trip is simple: Don't do it. There is nothing interesting about watching people's backyards and dilapidated mobile homes. You can do that in most American towns, so why do it in Alaska?

I forgot about the mobile homes, but June 1986 sure was a long time ago!

Maybe in 1986 when you did it those were beautiful homes, but by the time I did it in 1994 they became junky mobile homes. :p

The whitewater rafting trip out of Skagway is on the Tutshi River, just over into Canada, about 20 miles from Skagway.

Here is a link for more information:

http://www.tatshenshiniyukon.com/03trips2.html#Tutshi

Here is additional information provided by e-mail from the ourfitter:

They need a minimum of 4 people to run the river. Due to the more adventurous nature of this river trip they recommend it for those in physically fit condition to paddle constantly for several hours and a yearning for an adrenaline rush. This trip is also done in one day, leaving Skaygway by 10:00 am (9:00 am Skagway time) and returning to Skagway by approximately 3:00 pm (2:00 pm Skagway time).

They provide all necessary paddling equipment including wet suits, helmets, lifejackets, and booties. The customer is expected to wear wool socks and have something that is not cotton to wear underneath their wetsuit (i.e. a wool sweater, polypro or fleece long underwear and top). They provide a complimentary shuttle back to the put-in after the trip, but do not provide transportation to the river put-in, so that would have to be worked out. The cost of the trip is $125.00 Canadian plus GST.

My wife and I are traveling on the Pacific Princess which will be in port in Skagway on Sunday, August 19, 2007. The Carnival Spirit and the Seven Seas Mariner will also be in Skagway the same day. We would like to raft the Tutshi, and are trying to find others who are interested in rafting the same trip.

Caholawasa

After reading the comments I think we will not take the Mendenhall trip. Doesn't sound like what we are looking for. The Ketchikan trip sounds great, however we are only in port until 3:00 pm. I don't think there is enough time. We will try to raft in Denali if we have time. Thanks for the input. Pat

Archived