Navigator 9/1-Rome

We're on the 9/1 sailing and I am lost as to what to do in Rome- Has anyone taken any of the excursions that the ship offers? We've never been to Rome before-Is it better to get a private driver?? If you hire a driver do you still have to stand in line for tickets at the sites or can they get in you without the lines? :confused: Help!

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Hi Carol

We are on that Navigator sailing (depart Piraeus, right?).. but unlike you have been to Rome before.

Don't get a driver, the traffic is crazy and it will take you all day just to get around.

Get the bus or train in (I think the ship offers a service where they put you on the train, with maps, for a fee of course)...and wander!

Rome has enough sights, sounds and smells for a month, so my advice is not to try and cram too much in. It's a great walking city.

If you really want to see the big sights, either choose one of the tours from the ship to see the colosseum, St Peters, etc, or you can get a map and wander (in an orderly fashion of course, considering time restraints). Go to the Spanish Steps, the Trevi Fountain, piazza Navonna, people watch, eat pizza and drink wine. Shop if you must.

We are going to take the train in and just wander.

For REAL Rome sightseeing, a day is far too short.

Does that help?

Melanie from Australia

which

We're on the 9/1 sailing and I am lost as to what to do in Rome- Has anyone taken any of the excursions that the ship offers? We've never been to Rome before-Is it better to get a private driver?? If you hire a driver do you still have to stand in line for tickets at the sites or can they get in you without the lines? :confused: Help!

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Hi

I believe Rome has a hop-on-hop-off bus. Check the sightseeing Rome web pages. As I recall it takes you on a complete circle of the city and you can jump off at places that interest you. Of course, with my memory I can be thinking of San Francisco :p heheheheh!!!!

http://www.viator.com

http://www.affiliate.viator.com

I think these sites may get you somewhere. If not just google "rome hop-on-hop-off busses.

Good luck

Marsha

Archived