Miraflores Locks & Observation Center-Panama Canal

Daphna101

Is it is easy to go to Miraflores Locks & Observation Center

on your own while visiting the day in Colon Panama, or is it advisable to use the ships tours / or private tour.. We will be there Dec 3, 2007

I have heard about using Mario-in Panama, does any one else have any tidbits, advise and tips?

Thanks

Daphna

We did the ship's tour when we last visited Panama in January, 2007. It actually was better than going on a crossing through the canal, which we did on the Infinity. They drive you to Miraflores and you board a small ferry boat that has 2 levels and OK facilities, including a nice box lunch.You go through the locks with some other vessels (we followed 3 sail boats that were tied together for the entire transit) all the way to Panama City where the tour buses pick you up for the drive back to Colon. Being tied to 1 side of the locks, with lots of open space really gives a much better experience than sitting on a boat with 1 foot clearance on the sides and about 6 feet on the front and back.It really lets you experience the engineering miracles of the Canal.

We did the tour with "My Friend Mario" We did the full day that included the observation deck at Miraflores, where you watch the ships go through, a tour of the countryside and the rest of the day was spent at an Indian village. It was a fantastic trip. You can check out his site. If I remember there were tours that could be pruchased at the docks for trips to Miraflores.

Thanks Bill,

Going through the locks in the ferry indeed sounds like an experience, especially if you were sandwiched. Wonder what luck that could happen to us?

Linda,

So glad to know you used Mario too. When was it? And may I ask how many people toured with you and the cost?

I am thinking from what I read that the Gatun locks seem to be busier and closer to Colon than Miraflores. In reading, someone went to Miraflores, and no ships passed through when they were there...that wouldnt make me a happy camper.

Your thoughts,

Thanks again

Daphna

Daphna

We went with Mario around 3/2006. We were on a small ship and couldn't find anyone to go on the tour with us. There were 4 of us and it was about $400 for all of us. I know that the price changes as per the number in the group. It was a full, long (good long) day

I was mistaken about going to Miriflores--we went to Gatun locks which are indeed closer to Colon. There were lots of ships going through and waiting to go through. It was still fantastic.

Our ship docked in Colon for the day and we had plenty of time to do your trip with Mario.

Linda

Archived