Splendour of the Seas 6-30-07 review

I am very late in posting but when we came back from our trip my computer was fried and my computer guy is slow. So I can't wait any longer and I am doing this on my wife's laptop. I'm going to relate our trip and then, when appropriate, I will share a tip or if I would have done it differently.

We arrived in Venice the day before the cruise (it is well established, if you can, go the day before). USAIR got us there six hours later than scheduled. The Venice airport is small so after you pick up your luggage go out and turn left to the bigiletto ticket stall. Make sure you have everything cause when you go out those doors after you pick up your luggage, you can't re-enter. We got a combination bus and 24 hour vaporetto ticket. I think it was 15 Euros apiece. Go out to the bus stands and start reading the signs. Look for P. Roma. Also make sure you "validate" your ticket in the yellow ticket box. Just put it in the slot and after it prints and takes off a corner of the ticket, pull the ticket back out. Also there is a validation box on the bus. You will load your luggage into the bottom of the bus. When we got on the bus I commented to my wife that it would be easy for someone to take off a piece of luggage since there is much commotion. Just be watchful (and not paranoid) about it. The ride was 20 minutes to P. Roma. We collected our luggage and went over to the vaporettos. The #1 is the farthest down. Just keep looking for the signs. You will get used to looking for #1 (or#82) Lido or P. Roma. It really is not hard at all just read the signs and depend on the vaporettos to be pretty much on time.

We checked into our B&B, the Residenza Laguna and Stephano was just arriving so we went to our 3rd story room. My thought here is that I can recommend R. Laguna for its price (140 Euros (before cruise)and 90 Euros (after cruise)) and its location (right down from the Rialto Bridge on the San Polo side. However, when we go back I will pick a hotel that is close to a vaporetto stop on both #1 (the local) and #82 (the express). San Silvertri stop was skipped by the #82 vaporetto. The lighting in the roooms were poor but the breakfast was wonderful. We wore out the 24hour ticket we got at the airport.

We were surprized by our best friends. After we checked in Stephano advised us on a good pizza place and while we were sitting there our friends walked up and asked if they could join us. We did not know they were coming to Europe and on the criuise with us!

The next day we spent the morning just walking in areas we had not been in before (3 previous visits to Venice). Then we took the vaporetto to the dock. Actually, we almost did. When we got to the train station stop to pick up our friends, from their hotel location, he said he had hired a private boat to take us directly to the boat. It turned out it was a land bus. We had to wait 30 minutes, pay 50 Euros and get a little frustrated. (I would not attempt walking from P.Roma to the dock, lots of crazy traffice, curbing and there are plenty of different types of transportation there). Anyway, we got to the dock, gave the porters our luggage, walked quite a ways to the other end of the yellow building and had our easiest check-in. It didn't take 10 minutes to get on the boat. This was around noon. We got on the boat, ate and went to our rooms.

This was our first inside room. We liked it and it was very roomy. I think it was a J category. Bigger than the balcony rooms. So when researching make sure you find out the square footage of the cabins.

Overall the ship was fine. Food was good to very good. We thought it started out very good and as the week progress went to just good. We had early seating. There was no attempt to enforce the dress code in the dining room. Although I did not take a suit (first time) I did bother to take some nice "cruise" shirts. Even on formal nights people came in with cut offs and t-shirts. We didn't go to any shows at all. We did play black jack for hours and I won my personal best. The cabin did not have a frig. And there was a full sized couch which made getting to the bed tight.

We hired Spiros to guide us in Athens, Olymipia and Corfu. We had a mix up on the days and had to email him on the ship the day before arrival. He monumentaly made everything work wonderfully with one exception. Athens was hosted by Makis and Corfu was led by Dimitris. Both of these drivers were excellent and garnered extra tips. With the driver at Katatholon, Triandis, he was horrible. If you make arrangements with Spiros, and I do recommend him, and he schedules Triandis, request another driver. Triandis did not understand English so everything we asked he either did the opposite or just said "Yes".

We did Mykonos and Split on our own. We rented a car in Mykonos for $50 (the place is walking distance from the boat. Look for TAVERN ( as you are standing on the port side it is at the 2 o'clock position) and the place is right underneath the sign. We drove all over the island. Then walked to little Venice and the windmills and headed back to the ship.

Split was tendered and we walked around the old town. They have a tremendout market there. As in Venice, everyplace you look is a picture. Overall we shot over 600 pictures.

We gave the steward laundry to have back the next day on a couple of occasions. It was done nicely. We really packed light (one suitcase apiece with a electronics bag and overnight bag) so as not to trudge a lot of luggage all over Venice.

Our plane was scheduled to leave at 11:30 on Sunday morning. We left our B&B at 7am to catch the first #1 P. ROMA vaporetto. When we got to P. Roma we looked for the correct bus, asking the driver for confirmation and went to the airport. The day before when we got off the ship I purchased a 24 hour vaporetto pass and bus pass combination. I specifically asked if that is what it was but nevertheless I had to buy another ticket (6E, a piece I think) to get to the airport.

We had bought $500 of Euros at our AAA office. I am glad I had them but the purchase was cheaper in the airport and we had to wait a long time for the luggage. I would wait til I got there to purchase the Euros, you will have time and the exchanges are within 20 feet of the caurosels. We did put $1500 on a Visa Travel card (again thru AAA). It was very convenient to hit an ATM and make withdrawals. You had to keep up with your balance, the machines we used never told us how much we had left. Also if the ATM doesn't work the first time, try it again. We had to a couple of times. Split is not on Euros but most places we tried took them. I don't think it would be worth the exchange.

If you want a different taste of Venice walk from San Marco (or take the vaporetto to the stop before Lido and walk back to San Marco) to the wonderful park at the eastern tip of the island. One would not believe you were in Venice.

If you do get Makis in Athens make sure you get him to take you to a bakery for the best bakalava in the world. Of course the gelato in Venice was excellent. My only tip is to while you are waiting observe the portion size. Sometimes I thought we got a bargain, other times the portion was puny for the same money.

Obviously, I am writing stuff as I remember it. We did take the vaporetto to Burano. That was very nice. We spent more time in the solarium than around the pool. They did have employees in orange or yellow vest picking up chair hog towels from lounges. That was nice to see. Sometimes they asked the room number to get a pool towel, most of the time you just picked one out of the bin. Carnvial has better pizza. Make sure you try the hot dogs on the buffet. Greatest ever. I asked where they got them but they couldn't tell me except that they were from the Midwest, Nebraska or Missouri! Day to day for lunch there was always chicken and fish and beef or pork but you could always find something tasty.

Debarkation (although always a sad event) was just as easy as embarkation (which is always a joy!). There was a bus waiting to take passengers to P.Roma at no charge.

I had on the last night some kidney stone acute symptoms so I went to the Doc on board. $322. got me a shot, liquid muscle relaxers and pain killers. We rarely take travel insurance and I do think our BCBS will cover this out of network expense. However, I guess this may be an arguement for travel insurance. This was the first time in 18 cruises I had gone down to the 1st deck other than to get on a tender.

If there are any questions, please ask. I cannot tell you how much help this board has been to me over the years of cruising and I am more than willing to be of help to my fellow cruisers. Enjoy!

Thanks for your review. I'm a little suprised to here about the dress in the dining room. I had read on these boards that people tend dress up on the MED cruises. How was it on formal nights?

Hi, i am just back from the 12th July sailing on the splendour. We were on the second sitting and on formal nights there were lots of Dinner suits and the rest seemed to be wearing a smart lounge suit with collar and tie. I personally didnt see anyone in casual dress in the dining room on formal night.

Betonic...

Yes, Dimitris was a great value. Private drivers have consisitently taken us to places that the cruise ship buses cannot go. He, being born and raised on Corfu, took us to an olive oil processing plant, a wood carvers shop, several villages, a picturesque place beside a lake for lunch. Private drivers typically beat the buses to major tourist spots. In Athens, when we were finished at the Acropolis as the buses were unloading the masses. We paid 230Euros on our Athens and Corfu days and generously tipped the drivers. I would not consider not getting private drivers in Europe.

happycruizer...

By the looks of the permanance of the stalls I would say that the market is daily. Moreover, you know how Europeans buy their groceries daily unlike we who go to Sam's and buy a whole cow. (No, our Sam's does not sell whole cows, to my knowledge).

The market has different sections, produce, meats, clothes, etc. There were a lot of different stalls selling the same thing, but it was still interesting and qualifies as a 'must see'.

Happycruizer...

Enjoy the cruise. It is a good itinerary although the Olympia stop is cut and dried. You either go there and look at the ruins or stay in the port town. BTW, make sure you sample the 'fried cheese' in restraunts.

There is a place in Katakolon right by the water (at the end of the water-front eating and trinket establishment, where they provide a floor show of music and dancing) where the fried cheese is the bomb.

It's nice to talk to a 'local' cruiser. I'll admit it...I'm hooked!

You mentioned using Dimitris in Corfu. Is there a website that i can go to?

My husband and I will be on the Splendour in Sept. Do you think it was worth the money for the private driver? I am using George and Paul in Athens. Thanks for your help

Hi from another neighbor, and thanks for the review. Were you on flights from TRI-CLT-PHL-VCE? 6 hours seems like a really long time to be late. What/where was the problem? That is the route we are flying in October and I picked it because it was one of the earliest sceduled arrivals into Venice. Did you notice many people not getting their luggage in VCE?

The Philly 6 hour wait was due to the lack of a plane. The ultimate cost was 6 less hours in Venice but...

We had friends fly Delta and flew thru Atlanta, direct to Venice. I cannot say that anyone did not get their luggage.

If you want to get Dimitris in Corfu, I know that Dimitris has a email but cannot remember it. However, I would just get ahold of Spiros.

Early seating was 6:30.

Hello, neighbors!!! I haven't been to this thread in a few days. I am getting ready for an October cruise. Happy cruising!!!!

Archived