Cape Liberty: What to do?

RAYJO

Arriving early (7:30am) at EWR on Sat 9/23/07 for cruise to Bermuda on RCCL Explorer of the Seas that day. Anybody have any recommendations on what to do until we can board the ship. Two of us with luggage. Never been to this cruise port. Thanks in advance.

If you're arriving @ 7:30 am, by the time you get your luggage you might as well head over to Cape Liberty. you probably will not have much time to do anything....you would need to trav el AT LEAST 1/2 an hour to do anything, then once there time spent... Not enough time- I know cruisers that arrive to Cape Liberty by 10am.

If you're arriving the day before, will you have a means of transportation?

RayJo -- You should just take your time. I would be the last off the plane. Freshen up in the restrooms at the gate, collect your luggage & have some overpriced coffee / light breakfast. Then you can head over to pier & you'll be exactly on time.

Sailing Grandma -- Find your way to NYC to have dinner somewhere you have always wanted to go & maybe see a play. If that's not in the budget, you can have amazing Portugese food in the Ironbound section of Newark (which is actually pretty safe) or if you have transportation, head to Hoboken or some place with views of the city.

RayJo -- You should just take your time. I would be the last off the plane. Freshen up in the restrooms at the gate, collect your luggage & have some overpriced coffee / light breakfast. Then you can head over to pier & you'll be exactly on time.

Sailing Grandma -- Find your way to NYC to have dinner somewhere you have always wanted to go & maybe see a play. If that's not in the budget, you can have amazing Portugese food in the Ironbound section of Newark (which is actually pretty safe) or if you have transportation, head to Hoboken or some place with views of the city.

Hey..any suggestion on portugese restaurant in that area? Web site??

My personal favorite is the Iberia Peninsula on Ferry Street. They have 2 locations on Ferry Street. I prefer the one on the same side as the Walgreens. They have a bar side & a dining room side. The bar side has the more "authentic" / fun atmosphere for Rodizio which is a Portugese BBQ. Their pallella & shrimp w/ green sauce are wonderful. They have small & large pitchers of sangria & everything is reasonably priced.

Fornos of Spain is also good & more low key.

I personally think Don Pepes on the corner of Raymond Blvd. across from Penn Station & Seton Hall law school is overpriced for dinner but it's wonderful for lunch.

My personal favorite is the Iberia Peninsula on Ferry Street. They have 2 locations on Ferry Street. I prefer the one on the same side as the Walgreens. They have a bar side & a dining room side. The bar side has the more "authentic" / fun atmosphere for Rodizio which is a Portugese BBQ. Their pallella & shrimp w/ green sauce are wonderful. They have small & large pitchers of sangria & everything is reasonably priced.

Fornos of Spain is also good & more low key.

I personally think Don Pepes on the corner of Raymond Blvd. across from Penn Station & Seton Hall law school is overpriced for dinner but it's wonderful for lunch.

Whats wrong with me?? OMG!!! We havent been to Don Pepe's since we lived in NY!!!! I dont want to say how long we live here in NJ and forgot asll about it!! Shrimp in green sauce is one of my favorites! Now I want Portugese food!! lol I will take your suggestion of Iberia Penninsula- Bar side! Thanks a bunch!!

Thank you for the tips and restaurant information and yes, we will have transportation.

My husband and I go to NYC about once a year to see some shows, in fact we were just there at the beginning of this month. In October, we will have three of our adult children with us so we were thinking of perhaps taking the ferry from Cape Liberty to Ellis Island or just doing something in the New Jersey area.

If will decide to go into the city, how easy is it to get pubic transportation? We are staying at the Best Western right off Rt. 1 & 9.

If will decide to go into the city, how easy is it to get pubic transportation? We are staying at the Best Western right off Rt. 1 & 9.

From that location you are going to need a car service or taxi to Newark Penn Station. The hotel may have something for you; if they don't it should be less than $10. From Penn Station take a Path train -- easy as pie. The Path goes to Hoboken too. If you have already done NYC, try looking at from our side of the river as you dine. The skyline view is wonderful.

pick any restaurant. my favorites are: Iberia Peninsula (sister restaurant is Iberia...across the street).

the other is Adega (http://www.adegagrill.com/)...a block or two from Iberia. say hi to the hostess for me! she's a cutie! my wife likes her too! hehehehehe

both of these are on ferry street.

Whats wrong with me?? OMG!!! We havent been to Don Pepe's since we lived in NY!!!! I dont want to say how long we live here in NJ and forgot asll about it!! Shrimp in green sauce is one of my favorites! Now I want Portugese food!! lol I will take your suggestion of Iberia Penninsula- Bar side! Thanks a bunch!!

I can still remember when Don Pepe's was called Don's 21. Of course I was just a child at the time. :)

• 1 month later...

I'm assuming that we'll be off the Explorer of the Seas by 9:30 or so. Our flight out of Newark doesn't leave until 5:30pm. How far is the New Jersey Mall from Cape Liberty? There was a great thread on this subject which I can't seem to find. Do you mind giving suggestions one more time as to what we can do until 3 or so? Thx, Mary

Archived