Alaska Cruise, Smart casual for Dinner

janer51

I will be taking an Alaskan cruise the middle of Aug. This is our first cruise. I was wondering how to dress for dinner on the non formal nights. We will be taking the Diamond Princess with Princess cruises. Would capris and sandles be appropriate. I have read that the Alaskan Cruises are not quite as formal as the Caribbean Cruises. Thank you for any input.

A well put together capri outfit would be perfectly alright. One of my smart casual outfits on Princess was a pair of black cotton capris with martini glasses embroidered on them in many colors (they were small but I still new they were martinis LOL). I wore a purple silk tunic top with them and black heeled sandals. I felt very at ease. From my experience on that line I'd say that smart casual was the same regardless of the itinerary. Have a super cruise.

I wear a sundress on Caribbean cruise smart casual nights and for our Alaska trip in Sept I'm bringing a skirt or dress, as well as black pants, for dinner on non-formal nights. Level of "formality" for me is the same, Caribbean or Alaska.

On our Alaskan cruise I did see a lot of people wearing jeans:confused: . I personally didn't, I wore what I usually wear on any cruise, a skirt and a nice tee or blouse. I felt comforatable and I wasn't cold. A nice capris outfit would work well too.

Have a nice cruise!

...for our Alaska trip in Sept I'm bringing a skirt or dress, as well as black pants, for dinner on non-formal nights. Level of "formality" for me is the same, Caribbean or Alaska.

I wear dressier slacks and skirts to dinner on smart casual nights. The only difference in Alaska is that I tend to minimize the more tropical tops/colors and style and fabric dresses/skirts is not geared for the tropics.

I have not noticed any difference in formality (6 Alaska cruises) except when cruising NCL which was decidedly less formal every night.

The only difference in Alaska is that I tend to minimize the more tropical tops/colors and style and fabric dresses/skirts is not geared for the tropics.

Right, no linen is packed for the upcoming Alaska trip:p We're starting off in Fairbanks and touring for a week, visiting family, so that part will be much more casual. I'm still not packing jeans (I don't wear them much at home, so I'm not going to wear them on vacation either) Have some travel knits (not as warm as what some people might wear, but it's not like it's going to be winter, plus, I'm usually warm/hot so I'm hoping I'll be ok--I have lots of layers for up top) Some stretch khakis. My "dress code" colors are black, khaki, turquoise & red--mix & match--to minimize packing as much as I can. We'll see how that goes. I have a great packing list--the problem is when I actually start packing, I don't pay as much attention to the list as I should:rolleyes:

Janer51--we're on Princess too, Pacific Princess. Despite how often I keep hearing "Alaska is more casual" the dress codes haven't changed, and I follow the suggested dress codes. I think your capri outfit would be appropriate, as long as it's not too tropical/summery.....

Archived