RCCL New Smoking Policy Discussion (merged)

I love how people drag out the exceptions and then try and prove that the rule doesn't exist.

Yeah, everyone knows someone like that.

But add up those stories against the 400,000 who die every year, and mostly die EARLY from smoking-related illness.

I'm glad you're not a scientist. Because the way you draw conclusions is beyond flawed.

Sorry! Just had to add my tuppence worth here. Free Will v. Determinism.....a centuries-old debate...who knows?

Alan

Unfortunately, in a word... YES...there are people that stupid.

"Stupid" is a strong word to use. "Addicted" may be more appropriate and also more polite.On the other hand,why have bad manners and not use them?

Alan

"Stupid" is a strong word to use. "Addicted" may be more appropriate and also more polite.On the other hand,why have bad manners and not use them?

Alan

The quote had nothing to do with addiction !

It was about people who claim smoking is not a health risk , you took it out of context !

The quote had nothing to do with addiction !

It was about people who claim smoking is not a health risk , you took it out of context !

Forgive me, but I took nothing out of context. As a smoker, I fully agree that my habit will, in all probability, foreshorten my life...and maybe even the lives of those near me.....sorry guys....I'll buy you a Long Island Iced Tea in Hell!

Alan

are there people here really stupid enough to try and pretend that smoking isn't unhealthy???

Well heres the quote again, now tell me you didn`t take it out of context ! :confused:

I'm sorry. I DID take it out of context. I fully admit that smoking is unhealthy....it was probably the "stupid" thing that raised my hackles.

Best regards,

Alan

Not at all. It's quite humorous, to be frank. Funny how people can be so self-deluded and self-righteous in their God-given right to kill the rest of us with their incredibly and stupifyingly ignorant habit of inhaling known super-heated carcinogens into their systems and then blowing it out.

Do I care if you smoke? Heck no! In fact, from a financial standpoint, the government should NOT attack tobacco companies, they should be supporting them! The faster people die, the lower the long term social security, medicare and medicaid costs to all of us. Thus, the lower taxes on me and mine, and all people like us who choose not smoke and will live longer lives. So do us all a favor and, as I say, "Light up!!" I'm completely behind you.

Where I'm NOT behind you is when your smoke is around ME. Not only poisoning my lungs but destroying my ability to enjoy a cruise. Smoking on balconies not a problem when you're underway. Smoking in public areas? It's a problem.

See that's where YOUR rights end. Exactly at the point where mine begin.

But what's even funnier here is how people are trying to argue that the ill-health effects of smoking are either non-existent or are exaggerated. It's really funny.

But as I say. Please, IN THE PRIVACY OF YOUR HOME, PROPERTY OR CAR, light up!!!

and decrease the population of smokers and those too ignorant to read 50 years of warnings about this insidious habit.

Understand that your speaking to a older crowd out here.

Back in the day smoking was ok and the tobacco folks covering up the health hazards of smoking.

Old habits and ideas die hard.

Just read all the pro smoking post.

I'm sorry. I DID take it out of context. I fully admit that smoking is unhealthy....it was probably the "stupid" thing that raised my hackles.

Best regards,

Alan

Thats ok :D

Im coming to your lovely country in September on the "QE2" ,can`t wait ! :)

regards,

Gavin :cool:

Not at all. It's quite humorous, to be frank. Funny how people can be so self-deluded and self-righteous in their God-given right to kill the rest of us with their incredibly and stupifyingly ignorant habit of inhaling known super-heated carcinogens into their systems and then blowing it out.

Do I care if you smoke? Heck no! In fact, from a financial standpoint, the government should NOT attack tobacco companies, they should be supporting them! The faster people die, the lower the long term social security, medicare and medicaid costs to all of us. Thus, the lower taxes on me and mine, and all people like us who choose not smoke and will live longer lives. So do us all a favor and, as I say, "Light up!!" I'm completely behind you.

Where I'm NOT behind you is when your smoke is around ME. Not only poisoning my lungs but destroying my ability to enjoy a cruise. Smoking on balconies not a problem when you're underway. Smoking in public areas? It's a problem.

But what's even funnier here is how people are trying to argue that the ill-health effects of smoking are either non-existent or are exaggerated. It's really funny.

and decrease the population of smokers and those too ignorant to read 50 years of warnings about this insidious habit.

Actually, absent a law giving you that "right", you have no more "right" to breathe tobacco smoke free air than you do diesel exhaust free air, carbon monoxide free air, etc.

Just like my neighbor, who smoked for at least 40 years, his wife of 30-some years, smokes, his daughter smokes, their house reeks, I can smell the odor before I even reach their door. They each probably smoke 2 packs per day. Well, he has a cancerous tumor in his lung and he is quick to point out to everyone that it is not from smoking. Uh...O.K?????:confused:

Just like my neighbor, who smoked for at least 40 years, his wife of 30-some years, smokes, his daughter smokes, their house reeks, I can smell the odor before I even reach their door. They each probably smoke 2 packs per day. Well, he has a cancerous tumor in his lung and he is quick to point out to everyone that it is not from smoking. Uh...O.K?????:confused:

Smokers live in "denial" everyday.

Actually, absent a law giving you that "right", you have no more "right" to breathe tobacco smoke free air than you do diesel exhaust free air, carbon monoxide free air, etc.

Thankfully most states are now passing those laws! The days of the public smoker are numbered, and thank our government for that! :D

I have no problem with you poisoning yourself, but when you try to poison me and my family, that's where I draw the line. :mad:

Don't get me wrong, there are courteous smokers out there. It's the few that are ruining it for all smokers.

Oh my - this thread has gone to 55 pages of bashing. Non-smokers bashing smokers and smokers bashing non-smokers. What does that have to do with RCCL's new policy? Some will like the idea, some won't - I guess this thread has proven that. "Some" smokers are inconsiderate - as well as "some" non-smokers are inconsiderate - ever stop to think about that. I've heard many people say smokers are more pleasant and fun to be around - maybe it's because they realize their life is going to be shorter so they enjoy each day to the fullest :cool: !! Or maybe it's because they have better things to do then complain about someone else's "addiction" - the world is not a perfect place and the people in this world sure aren't perfect either, but can't we just agree to disagree on the smoking policy and be done with it. RCCL isn't going to change the new policy just because we all sit here and bash each other - they are probably sitting back reading all these posts and laughing their butts (no pun intended) off. Revenues will determine whether RCCL keeps this policy in effect or changes it.;)

To all out there (smokers and non-smokers) have a good day, enjoy YOUR life and let others enjoy theirs - if something bothers you walk away from it.:p

If it were just denial, that wouldn't be so bad. But smokers on a daily basis spew their toxic exhaust into the air not caring what death and disease they cause to innocent victims who inhale it. Truly heartless and uncaring people to say the least.

Gorc, you bring up many fine points here. And just to add a point. Smokers always ask for "compromise". Here is a compromise perhaps all could "live" with. We need the tobacco companies to work on a cigarette (or substitute nicotine delivery device) that smokers can suck on and 100% of the toxins stay within the body of the smoker. When they exhale either nothing comes out or harmless steam comes out. That way non-smokers would be happy as the exhaust from smokers would not cause non-smokers ill effects. Smokers should similarly be happy because they would know they are only damaging their own health (which obviously they don't care about anyway) and are not damaging the health of other innocent victims especially children. Would all you smokers agree that would be an appropriate compromise?

Gorc, you bring up many fine points here. And just to add a point. Smokers always ask for "compromise". Here is a compromise perhaps all could "live" with. We need the tobacco companies to work on a cigarette (or substitute nicotine delivery device) that smokers can suck on and 100% of the toxins stay within the body of the smoker. When they exhale either nothing comes out or harmless steam comes out. That way non-smokers would be happy as the exhaust from smokers would not cause non-smokers ill effects. Smokers should similarly be happy because they would know they are only damaging their own health (which obviously they don't care about anyway) and are not damaging the health of other innocent victims especially children. Would all you smokers agree that would be an appropriate compromise?
Yes, they all need to start buying Nicarest, the "combustible medicated habit-cessation nicotine-delivery ampule":

http://www.theonion.com/content/node/28975

:) :)

I got a better one. I know a guy who is easily a 2 pack a day smoker. He is 40 and already has the gravelly voice and when he laughs, he starts coughing, like smokers tend to do.

Here's the funny part. He religiously takes a massive Vitamin C pill every day. Claims it helps him avoid colds and such.

Gotta love it. He smokes like a chimney and he's concerned about his health!!

Too funny.

As far as the alternatives, how about this? A "smoker's hood" -- a device that keeps all the exhaled smoke inside a plastic hood that goes over their head, and there is a filtered air hole that allows them to suck in fresh air, but not exhale toxins.

I'd be all for it.

\

exactly. what is this guy's point? There are laws ALL OVER THE PLACE that establish my right to not have to second-hand smoke. In restaurants. Bars. Schools. All government buildings. Most private sector buildings. etc etc etc

My entire State is restaurant and bar "smoke free". Ya think they put those laws in place to avoid fires??

So actually there IS a body of law that says that your right to smoke ends at my right to breathe air free of your smoke.

\

exactly. what is this guy's point? There are laws ALL OVER THE PLACE that establish my right to not have to second-hand smoke. In restaurants. Bars. Schools. All government buildings. Most private sector buildings. etc etc etc

My entire State is restaurant and bar "smoke free". Ya think they put those laws in place to avoid fires??

So actually there IS a body of law that says that your right to smoke ends at my right to breathe air free of your smoke.

You make excellent points.Keep up the fantastic post!

Post after post you make excellent points.You are an excellent poster!

If it were just denial, that wouldn't be so bad. But smokers on a daily basis spew their toxic exhaust into the air not caring what death and disease they cause to innocent victims who inhale it. Truly heartless and uncaring people to say the least.

You hit a home run

Archived