RCCL New Smoking Policy Discussion (merged)

I suggest someone invent some type of BUBBLE (that you can enclose your entire body inside of) since non-smokers are at such a risk of dying from second-hand smoke! There are so many other enviromental issues in the air we BREATHE, that create just as many HEALTH problems. I certainly wouldn't want you to sit on a lounge chair that may have residue from cigs ( definetly couldn't be soot), and get contaminated from RESIDUE, so instead of searching the NET for smoking material....Try seaching for a protected BODY BUBBLE, to prevent you from any type of enviromental health risk that you may be exposed to. Because no matter where you go on this EARTH, there will be cigarette smoke, exhaust emissions, ultra voilet rays, food additives that CAUSE CANCER, cancer causing additives FED TO ANIMALS that cause cancer, and it goes on and on and ON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! May you LIVE FOREVER IN YOUR BUBBLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AMEN

ROFL

He's without question the best poster to date.Better late than never.Common sense may win out afterall.........and to correct you its not 'smoking thread insults',its 'smoking thread wisdom':p

:( Where I come from, calling people "stupid" or "idiot" are insults, and just because they engage in behavior that is different from your own choice of risk, does not make it less insulting. Hell it is insulting no matter why you say it and takes away from the poster's credibility.

I suggest someone invent some type of BUBBLE (that you can enclose your entire body inside of) since non-smokers are at such a risk of dying from second-hand smoke! There are so many other enviromental issues in the air we BREATHE, that create just as many HEALTH problems. I certainly wouldn't want you to sit on a lounge chair that may have residue from cigs ( definetly couldn't be soot), and get contaminated from RESIDUE, so instead of searching the NET for smoking material....Try seaching for a protected BODY BUBBLE, to prevent you from any type of enviromental health risk that you may be exposed to. Because no matter where you go on this EARTH, there will be cigarette smoke, exhaust emissions, ultra voilet rays, food additives that CAUSE CANCER, cancer causing additives FED TO ANIMALS that cause cancer, and it goes on and on and ON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! May you LIVE FOREVER IN YOUR BUBBLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AMEN

Can we get an AMEN??????

AMEN

:( Where I come from, calling people "stupid" or "idiot" are insults, and just because they engage in behavior that is different from your own choice of risk, does not make it less insulting. Hell it is insulting no matter why you say it and takes away from the poster's credibility.

But com'n .You only pick at the insulters that are pro-health.Where is the credibility in that? Geez,you make my job so easy:D.Besides most of his insults were aimed at those who said there are no health risk,doesn't cause cancer,there are other things that are unhealthy.His jabs where at those who were insulting toward the posters with healthy lifestyles.

AMEN

By Golly I might as well pick up smoking because of all the soot out there:rolleyes:

.No ,I know better

Iam a smoker (duh). Smoking is harmful, there I said it. I would be very stupid to say smoking is NOT harmful because you can't prove a negative.

My brother died at 57 from leukemia. Right before he died he asked the doctor why? what caused it. The response "you were dealt a bad hand." There are many causes.

400,000 deaths from smoking, 450,000 deaths (WHO org.) from diet and physical inactivty. So, I die from a heart attack tommorow. I smoke, bad diet, no excercise, bad genes, stress, high blood pressure, high chlos., overweight. What was the cause of death-HEART ATTACK. What caused the heart attack-SMOKING- thats what my family, friends, cyperspace people will say. So, I become a statistic as part of the 400,000 deaths from smoking. No study. no doctor, no organization can say it was CAUSED from smoking. It certainly may have CONTRIBUTED to it- my choice.

I know you will say "denial". No, I just question the statistics on both sides and how they were arrived at. Where are the numbers coming from? How do they know 3,000 people die from second-hand smoke and 25,000 from Radon gas? Why not 10,000 people from second-hand smoke? Where are the studies? How were they conducted? At least before they were using mice.

400,000 people die from smoking and yet its legal (we all no why) Products are removed from our shelves if 1 person dies. Anti-Smokers, I will read and think about any answers to my questions, as long as its not " if THEY say so it must be true."

Some smokers.Most are really kind.No kidding

Why thank you Jake! That's the nicest thing I've "read" you say in this entire thread!:) In reciprocity, I feel that most non's are really kind as well. I have equal smoking/non-smoking friends and I'm always courteous and respectful. I would never smoke around my non-smoking friends if in an indoor place, and even in some outdoor places, if it were a bother to them, and one thing I WILL NOT EVER do is smoke around people when they're eating, whether they smoke or not! I think THAT is just plain rude (which is why, when I go out to eat, I wait until we leave to light up...UNLESS it's in a smoking section and everyone around me has finished eating and is also lighting up).

Anyone can have a bad attitude, whether they smoke, drink, scratch, fart, belch, chew tobacco, eat too much...or don't have any bad habits at all (which I would find difficult to believe)-as we all know, this policy by RCCL isn't about which of us on CC have the biggest attitude, it's an effort to try an appease non-smokers. I believe my suggestions were also in line with that, however I realize some don't agree. My point here is that this dead horse has been beaten long enough and I just wish everyone would get along. Comments like yours, Jake, is one way to get that ball rolling, so again...I thank you.:)

It has been real and it has been entertaining, to say the least.

But other things are pressing at this time.

So adieu, and hope everyone finds that perfect place they are looking for.;)

Bye, see you on the next thread that asks "where can I smoke on the ship"

if these few that have been posting over and over again these last few pages can outbattle each other.:cool:

and I want you on my side when the insurance companies and employers want to charge money for being overweight, having high cholesterol and high blood pressure. Would you step up to the plate for that? I would love you on my side.

You know, when the weight/cholesterol/blood pressure issue was brought up yesterday, I believe it was, I couldn't help but think that's unfair. I suppose I can understand the weight issue if someone is "obese", however; being in the medical profession myself, I have studied cases where people's genetics contribute to having high or borderline high cholesterol, triglycrides, etc. as well as high blood pressure. Just because people have these issues doesn't necessarily mean they smoke, drink, do drugs, or have a poor diet, so how can an insurance company justify such a decision solely based on that alone? Although, I shouldn't be surprised..my doctor has attempted to prescribe me several different pain/nerve pain medications for my disability that the insurance company refuses to cover (things that would help me in the long term, or that I wouldnt have to ingest, which is hard on the stomach and liver) and the insurance refuses to cover them, which is ignorant at best because the short term fixes that they DO cover are more costly (cortisone/lidocaine injections, daily meds, etc.). I've never understood how the insurance companies know more than our doctors when it comes to prescribing medication....:rolleyes:

In response to the person that mentioned the soot from the smoke stacks, I know this thread is really long, but just FYI, I did mention this yesterday as well. I, personally, didnt have this experience on my RCCL Jewel cruise, nor did my parents who had an aft balcony, but they DID have the problem on a CCL Legend cruise last November and my mum had an outfit literally ruined from it. They had to constantly wipe down the furniture and sit on towels in order to enjoy their balcony. I don't know if this is just a CCL thing or not, but yes, others have definitely experienced what you did, and I'm sorry to hear that you did.:(

Happy cruising!

But com'n .You only pick at the insulters that are pro-health.Where is the credibility in that? Geez,you make my job so easy:D.Besides most of his insults were aimed at those who said there are no health risk,doesn't cause cancer,there are other things that are unhealthy.His jabs where at those who were insulting toward some posters healthy lifestyles.

"Insulters"? Where? I have "picked at" the only person I have seen call people names, and he just happens to be a non-smoker. I take issue with anyone who reduces themselves to name calling, particularly when insulting an entire group of people he or she has never even met. This is not the first time gorc has come on to a thread and made unprovoked hateful comments against people just because they are smokers.

I don't think anyone has affirmatively said that smoking does not cause cancer or that there are never health risks associated with smoking... a few people ON BOTH SIDES I might add, are just questioning the statistics and methodology of research that the other side has provided. Questioning information is not insulting, in fact we are a nation founded upon dissent.

Bottom line is, we are all exposed to risks every day... is it fair? Of course not, but life isn't always fair. Is it fair that I had breast cancer at the ripe old age of 35? Do I call up Alcoa or IPaper or any of the other factories 100 miles away and tell them they are interfering with my healthy lifestyle, call them stupid, demand that they control the chemicals being emitted into the air? No, because life is too short to be a crybaby... I choose instead to put the big girl panties on and face life with all of its risks and perils, because that is life.

Good point vj, and I shouldn't have called your statement stupid a while back. who knows where on this thread. So I am taking blame for one "stupid".:D Have a nice day!!

I highly doubt it, but knock yourself out if you want to try. I'm sure you could find ample opportunity.

I agree with Mark,highly doubtful, however; I have heard of child abuse charges being brought against parents and child care providers for smoking in the presence of children, even in their own home. With the ridiculous lawsuits of today (ie: spilling hot coffee), I'm sure someone has tried it already, or will very soon in the future.

And Jake...I highly doubt the soot is from the smokers....cause tar leaves a BROWN color, whereas soot is BLACK...so there goes your theory of the balcony chairs/deck railings being from us;)

It has been real and it has been entertaining, to say the least.

But other things are pressing at this time.

So adieu, and hope everyone finds that perfect place they are looking for.;)

Heck,one of the closest things must be a cruise and despite all the bickering on the smoking threads we must love it or we be choosing different vacations.We must have something in common .----------------------------------------:):eek:-choose one

I agree with Mark,highly doubtful, however; I have heard of child abuse charges being brought against parents and child care providers for smoking in the presence of children, even in their own home. With the ridiculous lawsuits of today (ie: spilling hot coffee), I'm sure someone has tried it already, or will very soon in the future.

And Jake...I highly doubt the soot is from the smokers....cause tar leaves a BROWN color, whereas soot is BLACK...so there goes your theory of the balcony chairs/deck railings being from us;)

Was joking about the soot.Said it only because the poster said she was bailing.

ROFL

Me too:D

In 2003, upon informing my now ex-husband that I had been diagnosed with ovarian cancer, his reply to me was "well, it's not MY fault you gave yourself cancer from smoking":rolleyes: (and get this...not only does he smoke, but he ALSO chews!) I think it was at that point that I realized just how truly ignorant he was. After 17 radiation treatments and several months of steroids, and surgical removal of my last "female innards", I have been cancer free since 2004. (and before anyone says it, yes I'm aware that smoking can and probably will give me lung cancer, but that's a risk I'm willing to take until such time as I am able to quit, which I have tried dozens of times and will undoubtedly try again one day.)

Amen, and high five! As far as I'm concerned, there isn't any reason for any of us, smokers or nons, to be calling names, and I'm sure all of us live in our own form of glass houses.:p

(and before someone says it, in my previous post I referred to my ex-husband as "ignorant", which means "uninformed"...so look it up before you accuse me of name calling, please):)

Good point vj, and I shouldn't have called your statement stupid a while back. who knows where on this thread. So I am taking blame for one "stupid".:D Have a nice day!!

:o I don't remember you calling me stupid... and I don't mind anyone saying my statement is stupid, not the same as calling a person stupid. But I appreciate your candor anyway :)

In 2003, upon informing my now ex-husband that I had been diagnosed with ovarian cancer, his reply to me was "well, it's not MY fault you gave yourself cancer from smoking":rolleyes: (and get this...not only does he smoke, but he ALSO chews!) I think it was at that point that I realized just how truly ignorant he was. After 17 radiation treatments and several months of steroids, and surgical removal of my last "female innards", I have been cancer free since 2004. (and before anyone says it, yes I'm aware that smoking can and probably will give me lung cancer, but that's a risk I'm willing to take until such time as I am able to quit, which I have tried dozens of times and will undoubtedly try again one day.)[/quote

Was that ex-husband Capt. Jake?

In 2003, upon informing my now ex-husband that I had been diagnosed with ovarian cancer, his reply to me was "well, it's not MY fault you gave yourself cancer from smoking":rolleyes: (and get this...not only does he smoke, but he ALSO chews!) I think it was at that point that I realized just how truly ignorant he was. After 17 radiation treatments and several months of steroids, and surgical removal of my last "female innards", I have been cancer free since 2004. (and before anyone says it, yes I'm aware that smoking can and probably will give me lung cancer, but that's a risk I'm willing to take until such time as I am able to quit, which I have tried dozens of times and will undoubtedly try again one day.)

You mean you DON'T smoke with your ovaries? :)

:o I don't remember you calling me stupid... and I don't mind anyone saying my statement is stupid, not the same as calling a person stupid. But I appreciate your candor anyway :)

I found it VJ!! Remember, panties in a bunch????? I must have been in a sour mood. Sorry:D

Another great idea. But, for me, it still seems like it would be best to eliminate the idea of setting something on fire and sucking on it. Then you have the exhaust problem, fire danger, etc. If we could just get away from the fire thing. Maybe a nicotine suppository would work.

ROTFL. :) Some great ideas from all. Smoker bubbles and hoods, suppositories. But hey, on the suppository idea why not combine that with the fixation smokers have with setting things on fire. I mean make the suppository so you have to set it on fire before application. First, this would likely increase the absorption rate of nicotine into the smokers system due to the high temperature. Secondly, the discomfort would likely aid the smoker in quiting smoking. These great ideas will need funding. I'm sure smokers would agree they need to pay an immediate $5 per pack in additional cigarette taxes to fund these ideas. Keep the great ideas rolling in.

Lest we not forget the nay-sayers when OSHA came into being, but thank God they did! If only we had some governmental organization that was will to actually do something (i.e. have the chutzpah) to actually protect those of us who do care about our health. My desire to breathe clean air is not harming anyone else, yet smokers can not claim that their actions are not harming me. Go ahead and smoke if you wish, but not if it impacts my health. If you impact my health and my lifespan, isn't that considered to be 'battery'?

And for those of you who want to argue definitions, straight from dictionary.com, definition of battery is:

Law. an unlawful attack upon another person by beating or wounding, or by touching in an offensive manner.

Archived