RCCL New Smoking Policy Discussion (merged)

Well ya know...I tried, but it was just so hard to hold on to it, let alone deciding where to puff it at;) :D

EMT you make me laugh. Top 2 things that had me laughing so hard on here:

1. Someone said name a ship "Complainers of The Seas"

2. VJ telling me don't get my panties in a bunch. HAHA had never heard that before.

Lest we not forget the nay-sayers when OSHA came into being, but thank God they did! If only we had some governmental organization that was will to actually do something (i.e. have the chutzpah) to actually protect those of us who do care about our health. My desire to breathe clean air is not harming anyone else, yet smokers can not claim that their actions are not harming me. Go ahead and smoke if you wish, but not if it impacts my health. If you impact my health and my lifespan, isn't that considered to be 'battery'?

And for those of you who want to argue definitions, straight from dictionary.com, definition of battery is:

Law. an unlawful attack upon another person by beating or wounding, or by touching in an offensive manner.[/quote

A new twist on things, smoking is the same as battery-rofl

This is a good point. Also, what about the children of smokers that live in the same dwelliing as a smoker. If a smoker smokes in the dwelling or in their car in the presence of their children, they are endangering the health and well being of their children.

Here is an article on that very topic:

http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/2006-11-27-smoking-bans_x.htm

EMT you make me laugh. Top 2 things that had me laughing so hard on here:

1. Someone said name a ship "Complainers of The Seas"

2. VJ telling me don't get my panties in a bunch. HAHA had never heard that before.

Actually I have since been advised that the correct term is "don't get your panties in a KNOT"

I sit corrected ;)

Actually I have since been advised that the correct term is "don't get your panties in a KNOT"

I sit corrected ;)

Well, I have decided if I am to get angry, it's best to KNOT wear the panties then.:eek: Oh boy, I am off topic, sorry. One corona too many I fear....................

Amen, and high five! As far as I'm concerned, there isn't any reason for any of us, smokers or nons, to be calling names, and I'm sure all of us live in our own form of glass houses.:p

(and before someone says it, in my previous post I referred to my ex-husband as "ignorant", which means "uninformed"...so look it up before you accuse me of name calling, please):)

Accuse me of name calling,but I would call him a jack_ _ _

Was that ex-husband Capt. Jake?

I would resent that but I won't.Cancer is no joking matter.I applaud all who beat it.Ovarian is a tough one.I know.My Dad lost his wife to it.Good luck EMT and hope you stay 'cancer free'

Learn to take a joke Cpt. so you wont die of the #1 killer- STRESS. And, I look forward to your answers to my questions I asked today.

Well, I have decided if I am to get angry, it's best to KNOT wear the panties then.:eek: Oh boy, I am off topic, sorry. One corona too many I fear....................

No such thing as too many coronas :D

Hey, let's start an anti-drinking thread :p

Learn to take a joke Cpt. so you wont die of the #1 killer- STRESS. And, I look forward to your answers to my questions I asked today.

Don,Nothing on Cruise Critic could possibly cause me stress.Heck my MIL doesn't even caused me stress(and shes been here over a month),which shocks her children,including my DW.Chill out,I thought we all were starting to laugh a bit,besides I didn't retire to be stressed

If it were just denial, that wouldn't be so bad. But smokers on a daily basis spew their toxic exhaust into the air not caring what death and disease they cause to innocent victims who inhale it. Truly heartless and uncaring people to say the least.

Like you don't drive a vehicle and do the same thing.

Well you're right,but I do care enough to limit my driving.Then again at 2.77 a gallon I just might be too cheap to buy the gas

Wow, you only pay 2.77 per gallon? We have been well over $3 for as long as I can remember :(

Lest we not forget the nay-sayers when OSHA came into being, but thank God they did! If only we had some governmental organization that was will to actually do something (i.e. have the chutzpah) to actually protect those of us who do care about our health. My desire to breathe clean air is not harming anyone else, yet smokers can not claim that their actions are not harming me. Go ahead and smoke if you wish, but not if it impacts my health. If you impact my health and my lifespan, isn't that considered to be 'battery'?

And for those of you who want to argue definitions, straight from dictionary.com, definition of battery is:

Law. an unlawful attack upon another person by beating or wounding, or by touching in an offensive manner.[/quote

A new twist on things, smoking is the same as battery-rofl

Sorry, but generally speaking battery is a specific intent crime - meaning you have to prove the person intended to harm you. That would be a tough sell, I think.

Like you don't drive a vehicle and do the same thing.

again, dumb analogy. We drive vehicles to get to work, to schools, to whatever. Vehicles carry our food, our medicine, building materials, etc. Not all driving is necessary, but it does have a PURPOSE. Plus, show me the statistics where carbon monoxide poisoning from cars kills 400,000 people a year. Show me!!

Smoking? Absolutely no purpose whatsoever. But it kills in the US alone 400,000 people annually -- more than AIDS, murder, and car accidents COMBINED.

Try again. Your arguments have long since been demolished.

:( Where I come from, calling people "stupid" or "idiot" are insults, and just because they engage in behavior that is different from your own choice of risk, does not make it less insulting. Hell it is insulting no matter why you say it and takes away from the poster's credibility.

I have to disagree. Knowing ALL WE KNOW about the dangers of smoking -- for DECADES now -- you truly have to be "stupid" to willingly take up this habit. Beyond stupid. There's no other way to put it, no way to sugarcoat it. It's just sub-mental.

Just a couple of quotes from the Surgeon General. You know, DOKTORS...and all them peepul that have all that BOOK-LEARNIN' and all...well, they must be pretty darn smart, I reckon, cause I looked on the INNERNET and I FOUND this:

"Cigarette smoking is the major single cause of cancer mortality in the United States....Cigarette smoking accounts for at least 30% of all cancer deaths. About 87% of lung cancer deaths are caused by smoking."

"Nearly 1 of every 5 deaths is related to smoking." (in the US)

"But cancers account for only about half of the deaths related to smoking. Smoking is also a major cause of heart disease, bronchitis, emphysema, and stroke, and contributes to the severity of pneumonia. Tobacco has a damaging affect on women's reproductive health and is associated with increased risk of miscarriage, early delivery (prematurity), stillbirth, infant death, and is a cause of low birth weight in infants. Furthermore, the smoke from cigarettes has a harmful health effect on those around the smoke. (Refer to the American Cancer Society documents "Secondhand Smoke" and "Women and Smoking.")"

"Secondhand smoke exposure causes disease and premature death in children and adults who do not smoke. Children exposed to secondhand smoke are at an increased risk for sudden infant death syndrome (SIDS), acute respiratory infections, ear problems, and more severe asthma. Smoking by parents causes respiratory symptoms and slows lung growth in their children. Nonsmokers who are exposed to secondhand smoke at home or at work increase their risk of developing heart disease by 25 - 30 percent. Nonsmokers who are exposed to secondhand smoke at home or at work increase their risk of developing lung cancer by 20 - 30 percent. "

"The CDC estimated that adult male smokers lost an average of 13.2 years of life and female smokers lost 14.5 years of life because of smoking."

Now I don't know what all that MEANS, but it don't SOUND SO GOOD, NOW DO IT? BUT I GUESS SOME OF THE SMART FOLKS HERE KNOW MORE THAN THAT SUR-JEEN GENRAL!

*ahem*

As I was saying, for some of the people here to make BS arguments like "well, I'll stop smoking when you you stop driving your car!" or "The health of effects of smoking are exaggerated...my Great Uncle Gus smoked 15 packs a day of unfiltered Camels and lived to 108!!" -- well, it pretty much makes the person either clinically delusional or geniunely ignorant.

I'm sorry. You can call it insults. I call it a statement of fact well supported by evidence directly on this Board.

I'm sorry I'm not making smokers feel better about themselves and what they are doing to themselves and, worse, the innocent people around them -- but why should I?

So which makes me more stupid, the one or two cigarettes I have per week, or the one or two bottles of beer I have with them? Does it negate the intelligence required to finish law school, pass the NY bar exam, practice law and run my own firm for the past 12 years? Most people start the habit when young and foolish, then they are addicted by the time they are older and wiser..but if it makes you feel better calling smokers stupid, knock yourself out. Apparently some people can only raise their self esteem by putting down others. I prefer to stand on my own merits.

"All generalizations, including this one, are false"- Mark Twain

So which makes me more stupid, the one or two cigarettes I have per week, or the one or two bottles of beer I have with them? Does it negate the intelligence required to finish law school, pass the NY bar exam, practice law and run my own firm for the past 12 years? Most people start the habit when young and foolish, then they are addicted by the time they are older and wiser..but if it makes you feel better calling smokers stupid, knock yourself out. Apparently some people can only raise their self esteem by putting down others. I prefer to stand on my own merits.

"All generalizations, including this one, are false"- Mark Twain

1. Actually smokers are more stupid, since there are FAR more deaths from smoking than from drinking beer and smoking endangers others around you, including your own children.

2. There is intelligence, and there is "smarts". If you take up this habit and continue it, and then delude yourself by saying that it's no different than drinking beer or driving a car, you lack "smarts." I know many intelligent people, IQ-wise, who nevertheless do staggeringly ignorant things. One really has little to do with the other.

3. I'm not raising my self-esteem here. The last time I checked, it was a thread about SMOKING. We are D-E-B-A-T-I-N-G it here. If you don't care for the thread, no one is holding a gun to your head. But don't try and pull this "you have low self-esteem" crap on me or anyone in order to shut down our opinions or the stating of actual facts about smoking.

Hey, message boards are a rough place. We eat the weak and ridicule the foolish. Make sure you wear armor when you arrive. If you can't deal with it, go find a more politically correct board.

Thanks for playing.

If you go back to the original post where 'stupid' was mentioned...it went on to point out 'a level of idiot' and 'lack of basic smarts'... so in a way it had everything to do with addiction.... Grumm.. as a reformed smoker myself you were right.

Orange!!

Great to hear from you again, and thanks for your support. Congratulations on having kicked the habit....I hope the nun isn't too bruised!!:p

Seriously 'though, it's nice to hear from you after all these months.

Best regards,

Alan

1. Actually smokers are more stupid, since there are FAR more deaths from smoking than from drinking beer and smoking endangers others around you, including your own children.

2. There is intelligence, and there is "smarts". If you take up this habit and continue it, and then delude yourself by saying that it's no different than drinking beer or driving a car, you lack "smarts." I know many intelligent people, IQ-wise, you nevertheless do staggeringly ignorant things. One really has little to do with the other.

3. I'm not raising my self-esteem here. The last time I checked, it was a thread about SMOKING. We are D-E-B-A-T-I-N-G it here. If you don't care for the thread, no one is holding a gun to your head. But don't try and pull this "you have low self-esteem" crap on me or anyone in order to shut down our opinions or the stating of actual facts about smoking.

Hey, message boards are a rough place. We eat the weak and ridicule the foolish. Make sure you wear armor when you arrive. If you can't deal with it, go find a more politically correct board.

Thanks for playing.

I would hardly call one or two cigarettes per week "staggeringly ignorant", you have a very simplistic way of thinking when you don't recognize degrees and see only absolutes.

D-E-B-A-T-I-N-G when done credibly, does not involve N-A-M-E C-A-L-L-I-N-G... calling someone an idiot is not supporting any factual or scientific argument, therefore one can only surmize that it is an attempt to boost one's self-image. Stick to facts, especially when dealing with science and statistics, or your arguments lose credibility. Having a good argument means you let it stand on its own merits and not resort to below-the-belt tactics. It is not my feelings which are at issue, I have beaten stronger and more worthy opponents, it is your own image that is suffering.

But hey what do I know, I am stupid :rolleyes:

again, dumb analogy. We drive vehicles to get to work, to schools, to whatever. Vehicles carry our food, our medicine, building materials, etc. Not all driving is necessary, but it does have a PURPOSE. Plus, show me the statistics where carbon monoxide poisoning from cars kills 400,000 people a year. Show me!!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/4283295.stm

Air pollution is responsible for 310,000 premature deaths in Europe each year, research suggests.

I post this assuming that you wanted a statistic for air pollution and not carbon monoxide poisoning? And according to the article the death rate from air pollution falls short of your 400,000 mark but over 300,000 is still a stark number.

Archived