Parking at NY Pier

bUU

We live in the Boston area and plan to drive to the pier for a February cruise. We'll leave the night before if it is snowy. :) I am a little concerned, though, about the condition of the parking area, given the chance of snow. The way it sounds, the parking available ($180 for a long cruise FWIR) is on the roof of the pier. How well maintained is the lot? What I'm really asking is, are we going to have a big problem digging our car out if there is a big snowstorm while we're gone?

I am not sure how the lot is in the snow, but we did get parked on the rooftop. I also would highly recommend driving down the night before. It makes the cruise day so much easier. We live north of Boston and we stayed in NJ at the Sheraton Meadowlands the night before. I was able to get it on Priceline for $60. It was about a 20 minute drive over to the pier.

There is also a bus that you can take from South Station or Providence. I think it makes the trip longer, but then you would not have to drive or worry about digging out your car in NYC.

My brothers live in Morris County NJ, and Orange County NY, so staying overnight the night before isn't a big deal, at all. It's just a matter of getting out of work early enough.

I couldn't imagine taking a bus from South Station -- that would be a heck of a long trip. Maybe Amtrak though.

My brothers live in Morris County NJ, and Orange County NY, so staying overnight the night before isn't a big deal, at all. It's just a matter of getting out of work early enough.

I couldn't imagine taking a bus from South Station -- that would be a heck of a long trip. Maybe Amtrak though.

Actually the Entertainment Tours bus got us to the pier quicker than driving ourselves. We were driving from Quincy and it took 6 1/2 hours. The bus took about 5 hours.

My wife has asked me to inquire if anyone knows of any good parking garages (enclosed) in the area, from which we can perhaps walk to the pier.

None close by and (jokingly) none that you can afford at $250,000 per space in Manhattan. They clean the one off by the pier quickly. Most of the others in the area are outdoor lots and more expensive.

My wife has asked me to inquire if anyone knows of any good parking garages (enclosed) in the area, from which we can perhaps walk to the pier.

I parked in a garage about 2 blocks away 2 years ago.It was covered and I thought it was quite convienent.We all walked to the pier with our luggage.

I suppose you could also get a cab if the weather didn't cooperate.

Here's the link. You can type in when you will be there and it will quote a price.

http://www.iconparking.com

PRIMARY PARKING LLC

721-735 Tenth Avenue

New York, NY 10019

Entrance: NW corner 49th St & 10 Avenue | Between: W 49th & W 50th Sts

There are other locations to choose from but this is what we picked.

Hope this helps.

Oh and also the price was about the same as parking at the pier, maybe a little cheaper

Carol :)

It took us under 4 hours to drive to the NY pier; that's with two rest stops. We live in Haverhill, north of Boston. The parking on the roof is much like any mall parking lot. Bring a small shovel and scraper, just in case. The logistics of parking somewhere else just wouldn't interest us. You just walk thru the doors at the end of the parking lot and get on an elevator to go to the checkin area.

Living in Mass., it's not like we don't know how to dig out. :) Although, we do have a two-car garage.

Yeah, we'll need to weigh having to walk two avenues versus having to dig out the car when we return. If they do keep the parking lot by the pier "clean" like indicated, then that's good enough for us I think. I don't expect them to clean off every car, but just removing the snow from the aisle and between cars would make a big difference.

Take a shovel for sure if you park at the pier in the winter. We returned from our cruise on the NCL Spirit last March during a nor'easter. When we got up to the rooftop parking level after the cruise, we found a sizeable dump of snow/ice behind our car...no way to drive over it. We had brought a shovel because we were driving to NY from Toronto, who knew we'd need it at the pier! Always best to be prepared. Other than that little surprise, the pier was excellent to park at and we'll be back again for the Norwegian Gem this March.

A question of my own for anyone who can answer......we're on the QM 2 out of Brooklyn in a few weeks....staying in Weehawken for a couple of days before. This is just a short cruise....Friday departure/Tuesday (Labour Day) return. How bad will the driving be compared to the weekend driving we experienced last March?

Kathy

Take a shovel for sure if you park at the pier in the winter. We returned from our cruise on the NCL Spirit last March during a nor'easter. When we got up to the rooftop parking level after the cruise, we found a sizeable dump of snow/ice behind our car...no way to drive over it. We had brought a shovel because we were driving to NY from Toronto, who knew we'd need it at the pier! Always best to be prepared. Other than that little surprise, the pier was excellent to park at and we'll be back again for the Norwegian Gem this March.

A question of my own for anyone who can answer......we're on the QM 2 out of Brooklyn in a few weeks....staying in Weehawken for a couple of days before. This is just a short cruise....Friday departure/Tuesday (Labour Day) return. How bad will the driving be compared to the weekend driving we experienced last March?

Kathy

NY clears out the last two weeks in August by that Friday as many people who can have left NY and it shouldn't be too bad trying to get in(the traffic is generally less bad over the summer with school out.- schools don't normally return until the week after labor day-which significantly differs from other parts of the country) but by Tuesday most people are back and traffic will begin to increase but you are generally traveling against traffic flows once out of Brooklyn...

It took us under 4 hours to drive to the NY pier; that's with two rest stops. We live in Haverhill, north of Boston. The parking on the roof is much like any mall parking lot. Bring a small shovel and scraper, just in case. The logistics of parking somewhere else just wouldn't interest us. You just walk thru the doors at the end of the parking lot and get on an elevator to go to the checkin area.

Wow, 4 hours:eek: How fast were you going?? We drove in on a Thurs in April with snow, pouring rain and bumper to bumper traffic all the way through Conn.:mad:

Actually the Entertainment Tours bus got us to the pier quicker than driving ourselves. We were driving from Quincy and it took 6 1/2 hours. The bus took about 5 hours.

Just an FYI: We just had a terrible experience with Entertainment Tours. They scheduled 4 stops all over Connecticut and our trip from NYC to RI took almost 6 hours....normally a 2.5 hr drive!

Archived