granvill island??

adivice please, will be in vancovuer one day before cruise,is 1/2 day to granvill island worth doing ? will be staying at pan pafcific, can we take cab or bus?? thanks

adivice please, will be in vancovuer one day before cruise,is 1/2 day to granvill island worth doing ? will be staying at pan pafcific, can we take cab or bus?? thanks

We just returned from Vancouver where we stayed at the Fairmont Waterfront (across the street from Pan) for two days and nights pre cruise, then our Alaskan cruise, then one night post cruise at the Pan Pacific. We took the hop on hop off bus and got off at Granville Island, walked around, shopped, then ate at the wonderful Sandbar restaurant. We took a taxi back. They stay lined up outside the main shops and restaurants. A great place to go. There is also a public bus that runs by Granville Island as well and goes right by the Waterfront area. I know that some of our Canadian friends will come on line to help you with specifics. The Pan is a great hotel. PS - I would not take the hop on hop off bus for just one half day, as it cost about 35 per person, but is great for one or two days. gg

Another option to get to Granville Island is to take a cab or walk (about 1.5 miles) straight down Hornby Street (a Street that runs north south near the Pan Pacific) and take the Aqua Bus to Granville island. They are adorable little shuttle boats (they look like oversided bath toys), they go directly to Granville island or you can take your own little boat tour.

Just an idea. Here is a link: http://www.theaquabus.com/visitors.htm

Granville island itself is a great place to check out, weekend afternoons can be pretty packed though.

thanks for the info..can you tell me about the sanbar restaurant? and how much was the taxi..

Can not remember how much the taxi was, but we were pooped and it was quick, so we were happy. I am sure someone from Vancouver will let you know. We loved the Sandbar Restaurant. Our second time there, first time sat on the upstairs patio which is great with awesome view of the river. This time it was full, so we took first available. The food is superb at a very reasonable price. You can dress nice casual to go there. They specialize in fresh fish and seafood. Great food. gg

Oh my! August 5 is the annual gay Pride Parade. The parade route is in the same area of the Aqua buses...so if you aren't feeling too festive the earlier you go the better, but if you are up for a new experience (and don't mind a little public nudity) the parade starts about noon.

If you are in town on the 4th the Celebration of Lights fireworks competition will be taking place at 10pm in English Bay.

http://www.celebration-of-light.com/

Archived