Walking tours...

kelz66

Or go buy Frommers Caribbean Ports of Call. In the San Juan section there is a very detailed walking tour you can do on your own. The book is $ 14.95 and has info (tons and tons) on all the ports in the Caribbean from a cruisers view (one day in port).

Also OLD San Juan is only about 15 square blocks..... easily done on your own.

This way you can skip the stuff that doesnt interest you, stay longer at the stuff that does, stop and eat if you want, stop and shop if you want, etc etc... Way pay someone $ 20-30 per person for something you can do on your own ? Just my take. :D We were all over old San Juan while precruise for 3 days ..... loved it. Wear comfy shoes !!!!

There's a visitor's center at the cruise docks. They have OSJ maps and other literature. Probably info on walking tours, too. You can easily walk OSJ on your own, but a guide can always add value to what you're looking at.

Here's a good on-line map:

http://www.travelmaps.com/OldSanJuan.html

If you go on your own, take a taxi to Fort Morro (it's uphill), then walk back down. Take a coffee break in Plaza San Jose. It's on the map. Just look for the plaza surrounded by all the stars. They represent museums. Be sure to stop at The Butterfly People on your way back:

http://www.butterflypeople.com/

Thanks for your answers. We do own a Frommers book already.

We get in late in the afternoon/early evening. Plan on doing a walking tour then hitting Maria's for dinner and drinks.

:D

We get in late in the afternoon/early evening. Plan on doing a walking tour then hitting Maria's for dinner and drinks.

Hiya Kelz. :)

My husband and I were in Puerto Rico last month. You can do the walking tour of Old San Juan on your own. It's not a very large area. We took a cab from the dock up to El Morro....the cost was about $11 I believe. There is also another fort called San Christobal but El Morro is older. I recommend taking a cab up there because it's uphill and so hot. You can definitely walk down through the streets though. Very nice architecture of the buildings. We stopped in a cafe/bar called Cafe Bohemio on Christo St and then also at the Parrot Club on Forteleza Street.

In my sig I have pictures of San Juan, if you want to take a look.

Cafe Bohemio is in the El Convento hotel..... we stayed 2 nights there precruise.....it is listed as a stop in the Frommers walking tour. It was built as a Carmelite convent 350+ years ago.....been alot of things since and recently renovated to become San Juans only 5 star. Really neat.

Do El Moro first - I think they close at 5PM. We did a walking tour last February and it was excellent. After the tour, we walked a lot more to see the rest of OSJ. At that time of year, sunset happens earlier and allowed us to see Old San Juan at dusk when the street lights (old-style lamps on the buildings) came on. Beautiful! Got some nice photos.

Do El Moro first - I think they close at 5PM. We did a walking tour last February and it was excellent. After the tour, we walked a lot more to see the rest of OSJ. At that time of year, sunset happens earlier and allowed us to see Old San Juan at dusk when the street lights (old-style lamps on the buildings) came on. Beautiful! Got some nice photos.

CR*P!! We do not dock until 5:00.....gggggrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Really wanted to see the fort. :mad:

Oh well...I'm sure I'll keep myself occupied. :p

I just checked the National Park Service website for El Morro. It is open 9 - 5 May to December and 9 - 6 December to May.

A tip: be on the ship's helipad or at an open railing (no glass in front) as the ship enters San Juan. You will get some fantastic photos of El Morro and OSJ. The ship goes right by it.

[ATTACH]52438[/ATTACH]

2-2007Cruise027a.jpg.07ce7d62e2c849a635d08a6415d63022.jpg

Archived