Can you bring alcohol and soda onboard?

Zbayette

When people complain about the prices for booze aboard a ship, remember folks you are talking about restaurant prices aboard a ship.

I would say any restaurant in America charges at least four times as much for any food item, and for drinks, than what you pay at any grocery store.

Why do so many have such a hard and difficult time with this? At least most of the cruise lines are giving you a huge break on food. Now you want free drinks too?

I'm talking about having a pre-dinner drink in my cabin just as I would have a pre-dinner drink at home before i go out to dinner. Therefore I'm comparing what I can buy a bottle from a liquor store and why I'd opt to bring my own purchased bottle. I do not generally buy drinks out.

When people complain about the prices for booze aboard a ship, remember folks you are talking about restaurant prices aboard a ship.

I would say any restaurant in America charges at least four times as much for any food item, and for drinks, than what you pay at any grocery store....quote]

Yes, some expect grocery/wine store prices which is a bit foolish and unrealistic. But, at the same time, I would like to only pay what a restaurant of "this caliber"might charge. Instead we are paying what the high end restaurants might charge.

• 8 months later...

Having read all the posts I was very concerned about getting my liquor onboard. I had a wineskin and 2 small bottles of rum in my checked bags and all made it aboard as did our friends in the next cabin. Also I brought on a water bottle in my carry on which was x-rayed each time I came back aboard and no one ever asked to see it. In Maui I decided to try buying a bottle of liquor and brought it on - No problem.

If they "hide booze" I wonder what else they could potentially hide. Not just on ships but planes flying at 30,000 feet?? Why would we want to make security jobs more difficult?:confused:

I have no idea what they could hide. Only know that someone who wants to bring some refreshments on a board a ship is hardly violating national security :)

I am going to be cruising Europe and would like to sample the wines from the ports we stop in Spain, Italy and France. I am going to be travelling with my two teens, and would be drinking alone. I would like to "uncork" my wine myself and enjoy it in my cabin.

Can BYOW only be enjoyed in the restaurants, and if I don't finish it (which there is no way I could, unless the service is really really slow), can I bring it with me?

I was offered an upsell last week to an AA and was informed that the three free bottles of liquor amenity was discontinued "a few weeks ago". Not sure if this is only for PofA or all ships.

Is this permissible on the Pride of America going around Hawaii? We're going to be staying at a condo three days before the cruise and will most likely have our own cocktail setups with us. So will anyone give us a problem taking it onboard?

Your best bet for getting alcohol onboard is to use Rum Runners. We just finished a 2 week repo on the Spirit and took alcohol on in our checked luggage, plus at each stop we purchased liquor and took it on the ship in rum runners in our backpacks. Check out rumrunnerflasks.com

The first day we each ordered a "drink of the day" so we'd have the souvenir cups, then utilizing juice obtained from the breakfast buffet (taken back to our cabin in water bottles and stored in our collapsible ice chest) we made our own drinks of the day each evening after that and even took them with us to dinner and shows.

I am going to be cruising Europe and would like to sample the wines from the ports we stop in Spain, Italy and France. I am going to be travelling with my two teens, and would be drinking alone. I would like to "uncork" my wine myself and enjoy it in my cabin.

Can BYOW only be enjoyed in the restaurants, and if I don't finish it (which there is no way I could, unless the service is really really slow), can I bring it with me?

Yes, if you pay a 'corking fee' you can bring the bottle with you when you leave the restaurant for sure. We just got off the Jade last weekend and had no trouble getting alcohol on the boat the first time or at the ports. We did conceal most of it in water bottles etc until we bought wine in Croatia and decided, what the heck, we will just pay the fee. So we got back on the boat, went thru security with the wine bottle in a seperate bag and they never said a word! So we enjoyed our wine from Croatia somewhere along the way to Athens>

I was worried after all the posts that we would not get any of the drinks on board so I did also order a small bar set up (which I agree at $40 for a bottle of absolut is quite price) but still much less then averaging out how many drinks one can pour from that bottle vs. buying drinks at the bar.

Archived